Ammo

I'd bet my life on is that you whould be the LAST person in the known galaxy to have an accurate read on the issue.

I guess you rate your life pretty cheap Timbo. In regards to collecting on that bet. I'll see what I can do. LOL

At least we were saved from another of your empty threats.

I guess you rate your life pretty cheap Timbo. In regards to collecting on that bet. I'll see what I can do. LOL

At least we were saved from another of your empty threats.

Hey I apologise,I had no idea who I was messing with. One of your countrymen sent me a communication indicating that you're making a run for a dual world championship in both ''pretend benchrest'' and ''keyboard'' classes for 2012. Good luck and good shooting....er I mean good bulls..ting.

Who is my normal dealer? I use to use Charlie Scott.

Fred my friend ,

I would be more then happy to be your normal dealer. I don't want this thread to become a commercial so i will let someone else give you my information. Thanks . -CS

Hey I apologise,I had no idea who I was messing with. One of your countrymen sent me a communication indicating that you're making a run for a dual world championship in both ''pretend benchrest'' and ''keyboard'' classes for 2012. Good luck and good shooting....er I mean good bulls..ting.

Timbo

Like you my countryman with whom you say you are in communication with is as equally misinformed. A fat mouth is no indication of being in the know. My "real benchrest" is progressing nicely. A little slower than I had hoped due to time constraints but I'm having fun never the less.

Glad to see you have ceased making empty threats.

No problem there Hammy, actually, once I was told on good authority that you're often mistaken for a female, I just figured what's the point we can probably write off most of the bluster for heavy flow every once and a while.

Real benchrest. Bless you there Hammy, you got a million of 'em.

Timbo

Just as your previous informant was was talking out of his ass, so is your "good authority". We can only surmise that they like extracting the urine from a schmuck by feeding him misinformation. Or you could just be making it all up. They say one is born every minute. .;)

Yep "real benchrest"! Its what I'll be shooting this weekend with a few like minded good friends before we all head off for some beer and BBQ as part of the Diamong Jubilee celebrations. I'm hoping not to come home with the wooden spoon as I've invested in some R50 and have been getting in some practice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, sounds good. Now the DIamond Jubilee, now here in the colonies we're not well versed in these events, is this the one where you celibrate the Queen or being a Queen. I get confused. Don't forget to wear your mansur.

Ah, sounds good. Now the DIamond Jubilee, now here in the colonies we're not well versed in these events, is this the one where you celibrate the Queen or being a Queen. I get confused. Don't forget to wear your mansur.

Oh Timbo. Is that really the best you can do. Pityfull.

We're celebrating the 60 year anniverisary of Her Majesty's coronation.

Whats a mansur? :D :D :D

Last edited by a moderator:
While we have brought up a very old thread about ammo. I want to add my 2 cents.

I doubt there are many that remember the very best rimfire ammo ever made but just so you know the Russian Olimp-R was the real deal.

It was as close to magic as any ammo I've ever seen. Never was commercially available in the U.S. but some got here from time to time.

This was the ammo Federal tried to duplicate. It had the dimple in the center of the case and as did the Federal copy. That dimple made these offerings unique.

Sometimes you have to look back and wonder: were the old days the good ole days, or is the best yet to come?

TKH

Attachments

• ammo300.jpeg
    ammo300.jpeg
    70.7 KB · Views: 29
  • ammo200.jpeg
    ammo200.jpeg
    50.7 KB · Views: 29
  • ammocombo.jpeg
    ammocombo.jpeg
    65.3 KB · Views: 29
Wow ! I have a few bricks of the Federal UM1, but have never seen the original Russian stuff. Have you shot it personally and how would it compare to a decent to good lot of Midas? I also have over a case of the Federal UM22. How does it compare?

I was on the testing team for the development of UM1. Federal would send me test lots nearly every week. I would shoot them at night under lights against Eley Tenex and Eley Benchrest gold. I was really impressed with how it performed.

The cases were perfect. The rim thickness was .042 on the nose. Not plus or minus, but on the nose. You could use them as headspace gauges.

The problem came when shooting the UM 1 in the wind. It was fast, too fast. If there was no wind or just a gentle wind it shot great but in switchy conditions you just could not control it. I learned this when trying to shoot matches with the test lots.

It led to many arguments with Federal. They finally set up an outdoor range and learned what I and others were trying to tell them. Loading the rounds for slower speeds while keeping the ignition consistent was a real problem. They were still working on it when the company got sold and they pulled the plug on the effort.

If you have some UM 1 I would recommend shooting it indoors or in light conditions that is where it shines.

The UM 22 was another product. It started out as being loaded ammo that didn't test as well as UM1 but later became another product all together.

I was only able to get a small amount of Olimp-R. Not enough to actually compete with. But enough to know it was in a league all its own.

TKH

Last edited:
Tony, still got a few boxes of Moscow Olimp. Right behind it, or along side some 2012 6 machine match.

I actually talked to a couple Federal guys back then that explained one of their design parameters was to cut substantially barrel time for the slug, I suspect related to the higher fps.

Thanks for the info on the background of UM1. I am lucky to have about a half case of UM1/UM1B, and another half case of the UM22. From what I have been able to put together from a variety of old threads, the Federal ammo for the '92 Olympics was 226M, and most of it was made in batches tuned to individual shooters and their equipment. The UM1 that followed commercially was available from '92-'96 and definitely was a higher velocity product. I have chrono'ed 3 lots of that and most are in excess of 1200fps.

The UM1 was superceded by 1000B from '96-'99. I have never had any of this so can't speak to it from experience.

UM1B was offered from '00-'08. It was marked as 1080 fps on the box. I haven't chrono'ed this, but by ear it is definitely subsonic, and for me shoots similar to Midas+. This suggests that Federal may have finally heeded the feedback about UM1 being "too hot."This was the end of the blue, white & gold packaging & the end of the dimpled cases.

UM22 was sold by Federal, but loaded by RWS and packaged in the familiar red/gold/black boxes. It was produced from '09-'15. Interestingly it has a Federal "F" headstamp on the flat undimpled base, which seems to indicate that Federal supplied primed cases for RWS to load. This was the last of the true "match grade" Federal .22lr ammo and it continued the nominal speed of 1080 fps from the UM1B. One sometimes encounters speculation that UM22 is essentially rebranded RWS R50. It certainly shoots like R50 of similar vintage for me. But the use of F headstamped brass suggests this is not the full story on the UM22 pedigree.

Back