ammo testing 22lr

I

ifldned

I'd like to know techniques for testing 22lr ammunition without having access to a 50 yard indoor range. My best assessment so far is to shoot rounds at 25 yards and try and measure the grouping to the closest hundredth inch and adjust elevation using ballistic calculator that raises the 25 yard results elevation to about .78 inch high for dead on at 50 yards. I'd appreciate and will try all advice. This 22lr benchrest shooting is awful frustrating. I'm getting one hole cutter groups already with relatively inexpensive ammo but I'm aiming for stacked groups and am getting the impression that testing lots of ammo outdoors is a waste of time. Appreciate all tips and advice.
ifldned

ammo testing

I just noticed I wasn' specific that my one hole cutter groups are a 50 yards.

ifldned

ifldned, I feel that just about any ammo will shoot at 25 yards. Waste of time for me.
Some people test ammo at 50 yards indoors but some of that ammo will only shoot for them indoors and stink outdoors. Myself I always test ammo outdoors using wind flags just like shooting in a match. This is just my opinion and is of no charge, so take it like that.

Your looking for groups that look like one bullet has gone thru the hole but there might have been five to seven thru it. And yes 22 benchrest shooting is testing on the nerves!

Eddie Wells

Last edited by a moderator:
For what it is worth, I like to remove as many external factors as possible when I test ammo. I would rather test one ammo against another in a building even if it is only a 25 yard range. You can tell better ammo from inferior ammo at that range.

One of the best shooters I know tells me he likes to test ammo outside at 25 yards. He says the wind will be less of a factor at that range.

Now the longest range I can set up in my house, from the kitchen down the hall......

Concho Bill

I don't know how any human can differentiate between poi using 1050fps ammo and 1060 fps ammo at 25 yards.

I don't know how any human can differentiate between poi using 1050fps ammo and 1060 fps ammo at 25 yards.

The thing is different lots of ammo shoot differently from each other. The theory is the tightest groups at 25 yards will be the tightest groups at 50 yards.:)

Concho Bill

Bill have to disagree some 2.00 a box ammo will shoot well at 25 yards, I have yet to find one that shoots crappy at 25 but check them at 50 yards. they will dissapoint you at 50.

The thing is different lots of ammo shoot differently from each other. The theory is the tightest groups at 25 yards will be the tightest groups at 50 yards.:)

Concho Bill

then what do you do with your tuner when testing at any distance under 50 yards?

then what do you do with your tuner when testing at any distance under 50 yards?

Maybe some set thier tuner to whichever ammo they want to shoot at 50 yds... making the rest,,,junk !
Misinformation...is one of the best ways to throw off the enemy !!!
Mark

We are talking about testing different lots of ammo to find the best are we not?

You don't do anything with your tuner when you are testing different lots of ammo against each other. Don't add a second factor just yet. That will come latter. If you shoot several groups of one lot of ammo against several groups of another lot of ammo one will average smaller making it the best ammo of the two for your rifle.

You will not find ammo that will group .375" at 25 yards group better than that at twice the distance. There is a correlation on that. Just trust me.

Concho Bill

Bill, thanks thats what I wanted to know. now the next question do you beleive a rifle tuned at 50 yards is tuned at 25. and if it could be proven beyond any resonable doubt that it cannot be would you continue to test at 25 and shoot at 50. martin

Bill, thanks thats what I wanted to know. now the next question do you believe a rifle tuned at 50 yards is tuned at 25?

If it could be proven beyond any reasonable doubt that it cannot be would you continue to test at 25 and shoot at 50?
martin

First question: Yes

Second question: No

I test ammo indoors at 50 yards. I believe that it is better to test ammo indoors at 25 yards rather than at 50 yards outside if those are your choices.

Concho Bill

varmintal.com/ Bill, Varmint Al has given the shooting community a gift. and if you open that gift you will find A, depending on the contour of the barrel the contour and lack of taper has a huge impact on the distance a rifle can be tuned. an example a straight .830, .880 or 1.00 does not have the flexing capability of a 1.175 to .750 taper or a reverse taper barrel. Varmint Al's graphs and analysis of ballistics are unchallenged. in short if you are using one of the straight no taper barrels your tuning and distance is compromised. it is impossible to be tuned at 25 yards and be tuned at 50 yards and 100 yards. not unlikely or maybe not. it is impossible. and if you installed a barrel without a taper or your barrel isn't a reverse you are in even worse pickle. those analysis are there and they are free.

super tuner`s foot in mouth --again!

Martin, you definitely need to show your expertice at some sanctioned matches this year!!! I shoot in Alabama, Georgia,and Tenn. I think we can raise enough $ to bring you on a vacation from Pa,and see you demostrate to us just how to tune a 40X .WE all own several,I own in excess of 30 so we need help!!! I mean lots of help!!! Come on down we`ll have some shrimp and grits and show you how we slop our hogs if you just show us how to tune our 40X`s!!! Keep up the good work Sunshine!

Back to the main question. I test for score at 50 yards. If it don't shoot for score then it is junk. I don't care how good it groups.

I have heard this song before and I understand that we shoot for score. Even so, my money is on the ammo that groups best. I zero my rifle to the center of a group before a match. Where am I wrong?:)

Concho Bill

I'd like to know techniques for testing 22lr ammunition without having access to a 50 yard indoor range. My best assessment so far is to shoot rounds at 25 yards and try and measure the grouping to the closest hundredth inch and adjust elevation using ballistic calculator that raises the 25 yard results elevation to about .78 inch high for dead on at 50 yards. I'd appreciate and will try all advice. This 22lr benchrest shooting is awful frustrating. I'm getting one hole cutter groups already with relatively inexpensive ammo but I'm aiming for stacked groups and am getting the impression that testing lots of ammo outdoors is a waste of time. Appreciate all tips and advice.
ifldned

I feel it's a preference in what you believe through experience or have access to at this time to give you the results you are looking for. Personally I do not test indoors or at 25 yrds. It's all done outdoors at 50 yrds and this works for me. I do shot groups but not many when testing lots of ammo because there are more times where the conditions here are not stable and have learned over the years to test in whatever conditions are given on that day.
When new ammo arrives to the dealers there isn't much time between testing, finding a lot and putting your order in.

I agree that this game can get frustrating at times, but learning to keep it simple will ease the frustration. It's only as frustrating as we allow it to be. This is a game of choices.

Good luck with your testing.

Joe

Back