ammo rules

Yes my friend I agree with you. There should be some American company that will produce some good ammo and then we could grow -have fair prices and not be gouged .garrisone.

I am new to this forum but is this "even field" thing only applicable to ammo?
I think that we are kidding ourselves if we think that every "lot" of ammo is available to us all. Hypathically speaking if I were to develope a rifle that was superior to anything else out there and I only wanted to make one and shoot if myself would it be outlawed because it wasn't readily available to all. If one of the major ammo companies ran 1,000,000 rounds of "special" ammo and only release it to shooters whom they sponsor they would have met the rule requirement but it sure wouldn't be an even field. So why the million rounds rule? Hey, I will be the first to admit its their association they can make whatever rules they want and if a guy is offended he doesn't have to shoot. I just think that this even field thing is a perceptial thing and a joke that cannot truely be enforced. I am on the BoD of a shooting association and our rules for 22 rf ammo states "unaltered factory ammo". We have no way of proving if someone has altered ammo other than asking a shooter for a sample and sending it back to the factory and asking for them to certify that it is "as manufactured". How practical is that? How can I prove if a guy has altered the lube in some way? I can't - I may have a pretty good idea - but prove it - I can't. So as far as I am concerned the rule is a joke. If an even field is truely what you are after then the people putting on the match should supply the same lot number of ammo to all competitors - but then some people will complain "my rifle does not like that brand or that lot". My friends this is a no win battle - I think that it is an almost un-enforceable rule - and what is the point of it if it cannot be truely enforced?
Sorry for running on - just one of my pet peves - Lets be honest about this - it is not an inexpensive sport - you buy the best that you can afford and do the best with it that you can. What makes you think that if an American company makes good match ammo it will cost less than the foreign ammo - the way I remember it when Federal was in the game their prices were as high as anybodies. - you all have a good day now - the missing

Last edited by a moderator:
Fed UM1

Some of the last UM1 I saw went for $1200 a case when red box Eley was less than that....:confused:

Calfee guns

If the rule was designed to create some kind of even playing field than calfee guns should be outlawed after-all how many people have access to this limited number of very expensive guns?

Nick, there is no guarantee that every rifle he builds is a winner, He will agree to that. He has his chosen few who are very good shooters. The price for one of his rifles or pistols are what people who are selling them are getting, and doubling or tripling their profits of what they paid Bill for his work. It is what it is.

The same goes for the ammo, we can B****, moan and get all worked up about the should Be's, it's not going to change a thing. It is what it is until it's not anymore.

Missing, I could not agree more with your post.

Joe

Last edited:
Hey Joe

I no more think that calfee guns should be restricted than, I think small batch 22 ammo should be.
My point is sport should be allowed to progress with out restrictions on far innovation.
Waiting for the big guys to do it is self limiting by what the traffic will bare, if its not broke for them (PROFITS) why change any thing.

thanks

Some rules exist because of perception.

A good question to kick around is how did the rule evolve in the first place.

Wasn't there, didn't hear it first hand, but, the story goes:

Early on in 50/50 a shooter suggested that he may just load his own ammo. Milt Cook didn't particularly like the sounds of hand loaded ammo in his game. He oulawed it then and there. The one million rounds a year is a number he pulled out of the air. If you never had the pleasure of meeting Milt, suffice it to say, he was many things to many people, but, undecisive he wasn't.

Ken

so i assume it's a total output

of all the different lines a maker makes have to add up to a million
will lapua really make a million rounds of it's x-act ammo
or will they just sell to a select few. i can see a black market
developing now would you be willing to pay a buck a shot?

Back