American Craftmanship of Another Era

TomD

e publius unum
I was in the local tax collectors office dealing with a car title problem and found this. Had to get my camera and come back. This was in what was originally a bank constructed in 1905 but somehow ended up belonging to county government.

This vault door is fantastic, the pictures don't do it justice. The level of detailing is far above anything done for public consumption today. The main lesson to me is that if they spent that much effort on decoration, you just know that they did the stuff that you don't see RIGHT.

I was in a 170 foot tall lighthouse a couple of weeks back, it was built in 1859. Up at the very top where no one would ever see, were some roof scuppers where the rainwater drains through a short parapet wall. Rather than just protrude the pipe, they had beautiful bronze castings of eagles with the pipes hidden in the open beak. This was a totally insignificant detail that would only be seen by the lighthouse keeper and only then leaning way backwards over the rail. They just did it because it was the correct thing to do.

Whatever they had, we've lost it. Shame.

The other shot is was the bank presidents office, now the tax commissioner.

Not gun related but it's winter, maybe interesting to some of you.

DSC8014t.jpg

DSC9497.jpg

DSC8049t2.jpg

TomD, Your subject matter never ceases to amaze me, along with your eye for detail. Great stuff. My thoughts on the quality aspect is this..the great immegration of Europian craftsmen looking for a better way of life/opportunity or what ever that brought them here.

Am I a Scrooge???

Well, one reason for the change is guys like me.... if my bank shows that sort of profit margin, I change banks. I don't willingly deal with people who skim off that much of my money.

I'm a capitalist.

al

Am I a Scrooge???

Well, one reason for the change is guys like me.... if my bank shows that sort of profit margin, I change banks. I don't willingly deal with people who skim off that much of my money.

I'm a capitalist.

al

But Al

Remember that the vault was built in the days before any deposit guarantees. Back then if the customers DIDN’T see the overt signs of profit, they changed banks.

AWSOME!!

The idea was to give the depositors confidence in the days of CA$H!

In the bank where I grew up (very small town) each teller was behind bars and each teller had a gun port made of brass.

Last edited:
Am I a Scrooge???

I'm a capitalist.

al
Well Al,

Look at it like this. The Bank could not stay in business and afford such a place, but, the county government has money to throw down the drain, and can buy a building that isn't remotely applicable to their needs, just cause the tax payers have money they've not even handed in yet.

I often tell the story of when I saw my fathers first pay stubs still saved on the attic at home. When he started out, less than 5.5% of his gross earnings was taken in deductions. At that time, the government had money falling out their ass and had to find ways to get rid of it. Doesn't seem to be a problem any more.

Beautiful vault door. Would that be a door on a gun safe or not.

Personally I'd rather see the local banker doing well, than the government from bottom to top taxing everything that moves, stands still, is built or demolished to pay for stuff nobody wanted in the first place, but now everyone thinks they deserve. Are we really better off now than we were in the late 40's or through the 50's? Aside from more accurate rifles, and a lot greater variety of loading and shooting supplies that is.

And each reply so far just a little different!!

:) :)

love it!

Keep the ideas flowing....

al

BTW TomD, the pix as usual ARE awesome!

Back then a man's time was worth very little and the raw materials he worked with his high skilled hands were worth a lot [ compared to the worth of his time ]. Nowadays a man's time is worth more than the raw materials.

Back then a man's time was worth very little and the raw materials he worked with his high skilled hands were worth a lot [ compared to the worth of his time ]. Nowadays a man's time is worth more than the raw materials.

You and I could be real close on this ;)

I think.

May I restate my position.... I'm AN AMERICAN capitalist. I don't put the banker on a pedestal.

I don't in any way begrudge him his option to set his margins as he sees fit.

Nor do I despise him,

nor envy him,

he's an American too....

I simply CHOOSE with whom I associate or do business. "Right" or "wrong," time will tell, but I have the choice.

THIS CHOICE is important to me.

al

Al,

I wasn't saying you should feel bad for the banks, nor that you weren't welcome to make decisions based upon your convictions.

I only thought it ironic that a long ago, obviously successful local business, did not have the money to keep their building because the new local government, does! Then again, I may be the only one who sees the irony.

Al,

I wasn't saying you should feel bad for the banks, nor that you weren't welcome to make decisions based upon your convictions.

I only thought it ironic that a long ago, obviously successful local business, did not have the money to keep their building because the new local government, does! Then again, I may be the only one who sees the irony.

Oh I'm not disagreeing....... and yes I do see the irony.

In fact the real irony is that America still works! We still get exactly what we vote for. This is my latest crusade, as a shooter, my job is to show the guy next door who isn't a shooter that my belief structure is NOT the reason we are where we are.

And to daily question and reevaluate that belief structure, testing it for integrity. To consistently live (and vote) for the good of the country not just for my own self-interest.

I want my grandkids to be able to shoot too.

al

Perhaps the real beauty of the vault door is the fact someone had to put it all on paper, meaning with a drawing board, a "T" square and compass. While we cannot duplicate the precision of todays CNC machinery, there is precious little skill involved in todays world, not only in machining, but most other trades as well.
Mine too...
In examining the wood working in the other photo, it brought back clear memories of my hand fitting materials in not one..but two banks in the early 60's here in my hometown in Wisconsin.
It was pure pleasure being a part of that, and it is still there.

The thread went a little askew of my intended target but that makes things interesting.

From a photography standpoint, things made in that time frame are beautiful, with detailing levels that have simply disappeared from the culture. Here are a couple of other examples from the turn of the century.

DSC00676c2.jpg

DSC4416.jpg

At the turn of the century, business' may have had more profit to spend compared to today when they are paying over 33% in taxes.

At the turn of the century, business' may have had more profit to spend compared to today when they are paying over 33% in taxes.

Thank you, Dave and others.

How about 43% with state taxes as well.

Retired small business owner.

The Merlin clip is priceless. Always wanted to be a "craftsman", but _ what's a craftsman?" What a shame for our youth.

We were all schooled to be "managers", whatever that is.

Merry Christmas

Bill

Love the detail. What way the camera settings when you took this photo? Reminds me of my Grand Father who would build a house or building from the ground up with his hands a hammer and a hand saw. Those were the days when one took pride in his work and gave a days work for a days pay.

Back