Aluminum or Brass pillars ?

REMY

Hi,:) Guys i am about to do my first bedding and was lokking at diffrent you tube vidoes and there are some that use brass pillars,being that they are stronger , is that realy so? Also what torque compression can the both withstand when compared.
Thank's in advance,Remy

I don't think that either material would be near the limit of its strength when used to make pillars. The one advantage aluminum would have would be weight. While we are at it, I don't know what video you were watching, but if you post a link, some of the more experienced might take a look and comment as to their opinion of how the work was accomplished.

A very experienced shooter and rifle builder, who has impeccable benchrest credentials, once told me that a long time back, when pillar bedding first arrived on the scene, that they soon learned that when using metal pillars, that rifles shot better with at least a skim coating of epoxy on top of the pillars.

Another thing that you might be interested in is that perfectly good pillar bedding can be done with pillars that are cast in place with metal filled epoxy putty, with an added skim coat of something of a runnier consistency to compensate for shrinkage, which is of course in proportion to the depth of the pour. This has been done, with good results using Devcon plastic aluminum putty and the non putty form of the same product.

It is also important to know how to test a bedding job with a dial indicator. Just because bedding is well filled in, and looks good, does not mean that the action is stress free with the action screws tightened. If you search this site, you will probably find posts on this. I think that Mike Bryant may have posted some good information.

Good luck with your project.

Boyd

Back