air gun pellet velocity

I

ifldned

I would like the know how many "fps" an olympic air rifle shoots? And how about air pistol? I've shot everything from 50 cal machine guns to the finest 22lr rifles and pistols. Is air rifle and pistol the most challenging chambering to shoot?
ifldned

The Olympic style or match type are apx. 525-580 fps with the bulk in 550-560 area of the current models. In years past some units would only achieve 375 fps to 490 fps. In rifle they are slightly more difficult due to the lower velocity but the range is 33 ft (air) vs 50 ft ( smallbore) for 3 position indoor. I do not feel that the air pistols are any more difficult than RF or CF.( again 33ft for air vs 50 for RF & CF indoor) I used to compete in all 3 pistol areas as well as air rifle, CF& RF (indoor and out) rifle. I am a past state champ several times in the air pistol category as well as black powder pistol (that is a challenge).
The best part about air is if you have 33 ft or even slightly less you can live fire almost anywhere at home with a proper homemade backstop rifle or pistol. You can put 500 rounds down range for less than 10 dollars. Air benchrest is a hoot as well, around here we are using the Olympic style units. It really shows up your technique flaws.

My Walther LP300 match pistol gives 497 to 502 fps with Champion's Choice match pellets.

Up here in the cold north we were told anything over 500 fps is a firearm and must Be registered. We are working on it

I make no claims to airgun knowledge past the fact that I recently bought a "break barrel" Soegger brand chambered for .177 pellets. The box made claims of 1000 fps for lead pellets and 1200 fps for the expensive pellets. A couple of weeks ago I decided to see if my chronograph would read the pellets. It did. The only pellets I have are "Crossman Competition" that sells for $3.50/500. The gun delivered 870 fps with a SD of 10 and ES of 20. The numbers are approximate and based on month-old + memory, but close.

Up here in the cold north we were told anything over 500 fps is a firearm and must Be registered. We are working on it

Humm, really cold and the government restricts your access to firearms, other than those are there any reasons to live there?

Last edited:
TomD - mfg velocity specs are usually made with the lightest pellets available around 6 or 6.5 grains. As with most advertisements real world is a different story. 800+ is enough to do just about anything you want. Learning to accurately shoot a springer is the hard part due to the reverse recoil.

I make no claims to airgun knowledge past the fact that I recently bought a "break barrel" Soegger brand chambered for .177 pellets. The box made claims of 1000 fps for lead pellets and 1200 fps for the expensive pellets. A couple of weeks ago I decided to see if my chronograph would read the pellets. It did. The only pellets I have are "Crossman Competition" that sells for $3.50/500. The gun delivered 870 fps with a SD of 10 and ES of 20. The numbers are approximate and based on month-old + memory, but close.

Humm, really cold and the government restricts your access to firearms, other than those are there any reasons to live there?

It's not worth an answer

A couple days ago I ran 2 strings of ten, 177 cal, .53g. Vogel pellets dia 4.51mm, annie 2002 pcp over the chrony the average velocity on the first string (full tank) was a bit over 540 fps, the second string right around 545fps, both strings had a vel. spread of apx 5 fps and sd of apx 1.9. I have not researched the age of this particular unit, it is unmolested internally.

Back