Air Arms EV2 - bespoke bench rest stock?

Tone

Hi Guys

I have an EV2 MK4 that I use for Bench Rest and it is an awesome rifle strait out of the box, however, the standard stock is primarily designed for FT target shooting.

I am thinking of getting a bespoke bench rest stock made for it and wondered if any of you guys had heard of any one who has done this as preferably I would want it with inletting aswell.

Many thanks & Happy New Year

Tony

If u think about it the stcok dos not make that much difference as there is little or no recoil BUT if your mind tells you that u need a flat bottom stock, go for it.

I have to chuckle sometimes when I look at airgunners slavishly copying the fads of the rimfire guys with respect to rife stocks. I see air rifles with strange hollow synthetic stocks that make the gun useless for any other purose on the bags set so the front rest is way far from the guns true balance point (which often affects accuracy, as they usually shoot best supported close to the balance point) and limits the adjustment range of the front rest's on target range" with respect to the multi-bull targets. Yes a flat forend does help though, but as yo say, attaching a flat plate can do the deed.

See, the strange looking stocks on the rimmies are because of the rules that encouraged a very light gun that was still stable in the bags during the firing cycle.
We all know rimfire guns recoil enough to slide a fair distance in the bags during firing, and that light guns tend to jump as well. But by using a very heavy barrel and a very light, low stock, the guns upward movement can be eliminated and it only comes straight back. By having almost NO weight in the rear, MORE weight can be up front. But in general, airguns don't slide in the bags or jump up. If you noticed my guns when we shot together, I put the bag around five inches closer to the rear than most, because that works better, and my guns didn't HAVE stocks.

I have to chuckle at air rifle shooters who can barely wipe their own ass, have reputations based on questionable credentials and measure groups with the biggest coin in their pocket, giving advice on benchrest.

When you are shooting at a very challenging target against excellent competition, every little advantage may not ensure that you do well but it certainly cannot hurt. As Bill previously mentioned, having confidence in your equipment is another factor that cannot hurt.

Take a look at the highest scores so far in the USA Scoreline or the Team USA qualifying and you will see a fair share of custom benchrest-specific stocks. Yes, there are great scores being shot without custom stocks but many of those same shooters think about the what if they had one. What the rimfire shooters have learned after 20 years of competition is not a "fad" but empirical evidence that their stock designs work. These same shooters seem to do fine with the existing adjustment range of today's modern front rests. Why would these designs not work for an air rifle regardless of the recoil?

I have a USFT and it has a 3 inch wide fore end and it shoots best at a point no where close to the balance point. Beware anyone who tells you they have all the answers to all the questions.

Happy New Year.

you got to be kidding me

An air rifle does not jump?.........obviously the author of this reply does not know what an indicator is or how to use one.

I have seen .015 on my Mac 1 right out of the the bat cave tube tuned by the great LD his self complete with 51 yd test target.

I also shot BR 22 rimfire for 15 years and a balanced gun always shot better than one that was not. Do your homework pundit. It is amazing that after so many years of air gunning and shooting as bad you are we now find you over here lecturing the rimfire shooters on their game. I bet they are just hanging on your every word ........................"the uninformed are always the most positive"

Happy new year.............

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll bet There are custom stock makers who will make a stock for your EV2. Call some of them and ask. You might also ask Tom Merrideth if he could fit one of his stocks to an EV2. His are FG but are very popular in the RF game. Perhaps an Edge might work as well.

The EV2 trigger does not stick down below the squared off action. It could be bedded but you may need an unconventional blank? You could try this. It required no permanent modifications and I was satisfied.
006.jpg

Thanks Exitpupil and it looks rock solid and very innovative, did your scores improve after the modification?

Tony

Back