Adjustable belt

O

outlawsix

Not at home but want to pick up an adjustabel belt made by Power Twist I think. For my G4003G. What size belt? I have seen the 3/8"x4' and teh 1/2"x4'. Which one?

Thank you,
Stephen

how many horse power?

I would make sure you buy a belt that will take the horsepower your machine will put out. Most belts sold in the hardware store are 3L and 4L and these are fractional horsepower. I wouldn't waste the time and money on a belt that won't take it. I've tried whimpy belts before and they were more hassle than they were worth.
gunmaker

belt size

Pretty sure the 3L belt is 3/8" and 4L is 4/8" or 1/2" . I don't think these will last very long. You might spend some time on the McMaster Carr website. They have a bunch of info on belts.
gunmaker

If you are looking for belts that really last and are great value for the money, then you need to check out knife makers supply houses. There are a number on-line places to shop. Some of these belts for the typical gun maker might last a vary long time. Your not grinding the really bad (hard to grind) metals that a knife maker sees.

I have used a pile of power twist belt. On applications with small diameter pulleys such as exhaust fans there is nothing that will hold up as well or last as long. Now for the draw back- it is not smooth like a regular V belt and tends to enduce a little vibration which would not be good for a lathe.

Gary

Well the belts that are on here now aren't pulling the same tension. One of them I can deflect inward .5" So doesn't seem to be pulling the same now and I see the 1 belt moving around in motion. I may just go get 2 new belts from gates and call it good.

Pair of belts?

If you have a pair, these belts should always be replaced in pairs.

go to this link for McMaster Carr
http://www.mcmaster.com/
and then search for page 1000. You should find what you need on that page.
If not, give them a call and tell them the belt size you need for a matched pair and reference the catalog page you're looking at.

gunmaker

Gates and Browning and others say their belts are manufacturered in such tolerances that matched sets are no longer necessary. That is true in most cases.

I am sure you have checked but it is very important the the motor is exactly square to the driven pulley or the tension will not be the same. Sometimes motor tensioning brackets do not pull the motor square and you have to manually square them.

Also if you have adjustable pulleys they need to be the same as well.

Lastly as long as no slippage is occurring then it may not be worth worring about.

Gary

Back