Actions

N1YDP22

i dont understand why you would need to buy a $1200. action.dont the action just push the round into the chamber and eject the shell?

Some do it more precisely than others.

The idea is to line up all axes [all central lines]; of the barrel, bullet, case, primer, bolt, firing pin, etc. More money usually buys the better materials, quality, and workmanship.

I've have two BATs and they're were worth every penny. It wasn't always that way. I first started with a Savage 12 VLP single shot in .223 then moved to the 6PPC and 30BR a couple years later.

If you want to compete with the best, you better have what they're using.

If you're just having fun with social plinking or just getting started in local competition there's no need for the high end action.

This is not an inexpensive game when you move up to the custom class. Personal budgets play a big role as to where you can compete. Whatever that may be, have fun. :)

You may not need a $1200.00 action, it all depends on your intended use of the rifle that would possibly make that determination. If you want to shoot short range Benchrest and be a top competitor, not a guy that goes to a local club shoot a non registered bring what you got kinda of shoot then by all means spend less money on an action. Just remember that when you show up at a match to not be overwhelmed when the guys with the $1200.00 action on their worst day will continually produce groups that to the novice are nothing short of astonishing. It would do you well to spend a day at a registered Benchrest match and look at what everyone is shooting, what you won't see are any Savave actions, or even the occassional Remington 700 or even a good shooting 40X, what you will see is Stolle's Bordens Stillers,Bats, and a host of other custom made actions.

The reason is that they work the best becasue they are produced with tighter tolerances, they are as close to perferct as can be so when you get one there is nothing to do but build your rifle, If you start with say a Rem 700 that you picked up for $400.00 then you have to get a gunsmith to true up the action, possibly add a sleeve to create an action that does't torque and gives the bottom of the action a bigger footprint for bedding, by the time your done you will have $800.00 or more into an action that may or may not produce winning groups.

I think one of the best ways to get into short range BR is to buy a used rifle for $1600-1900 dollars and shoot it for a season to get used to shooting it then during off season get a new barrel or two chambered up, and start load developing for the next season.
Try to get a copy of the NBRSA magazine and look at the top shooters equipment list, if your going to compete regularly in short range BR you will need to assemble a rifle similar to whats on the list!

Yes you need a 1200$ action if your going to play these games. Most lesser actions wont take the kind of pressures we use in shortrange benchrest. 30grains of 133 just might do you in if you dared to try it. A BAT or a panda for example wont hardly know the difference. Lee

the $1200 is just such a small part of what it costs to shoot benchrest competition style...

Action $1200
Stock $500
Barrel $350
Trigger $250
Paint and gunsmith $1000
scope $2000

Annealer $500
Chrono $300
dies and press $500
dispenser, scale etc. $1000
front rest $1000
range stuff $500

bullets, powder, primers, cases for a season $3000

trips to the range $1000

this adds up to $13.100.

using a $500 Remington action to save a little makes the $12k such a waste....

Usually, when the skills of the shooter improved or competes in a higher level, so does with their components/equipments. They need better stuffs, action etc.
Just my observation, others may have different sight.
seb.

Yes you need a 1200$ action if your going to play these games. Most lesser actions wont take the kind of pressures we use in short range benchrest. 30grains of 133 just might do you in if you dared to try it. A BAT or a panda for example wont hardly know the difference. Lee

If I recall correctly, it was George Kelbly senior who told me that the lugs are the weakest link in the whole explosive process. You don't have to pay $1200 for strongly engineered lugs.

Back in my Savage use days I was able to speak to a Savage HQ engineer [a real surprise that I could even get through to one] who assure me that their action could withstand the kind of pressures that the 6PPC produced ... and then some.

When I spent $2400 for two BAT actions I was looking for more than stout lugs. I was looking for an action that was going to help facilitate the axes [center-line] alignment of all the various components involved, something that I knew would last more than one lifetime, was produced in low quantities, with high quality controls, and prideful workmanship. I got exactly what I wanted.

Billy Stevens at Stevens Accuracy took care of the rest.

i dont understand why you would need to buy a $1200. action.dont the action just push the round into the chamber and eject the shell?

It would be a good idea to attend a registered match and see exactly what we are talking about. There is no question that if people could shoot tiny little groups or tiny little locations on targets consistently with $300 Savage actions, they would damn sure do it. Most of us aren't all that interested in thowing $$ at our outrageous hooby if we don't have to. Another possibly easier suggestion would be to get a copy of Tony Boyer's book and read it through several times. (Someone here can supply the name as it escapes me right now and a friend is reading my copy). There is nothing wrong with being ignorant, but it would be a shame to stay that way when the answers to your questions are so easily accessible.

Rick

Actually for $1200 YOU have to manually "push" the round....it don't do it for you......and .....hold on to your britches......ejectors are extra:). You won't understand until you shoot one-hole 5-shot groups and anything bigger bugs you to no end. It's an addiction.....customs the best cure.

Oh... you don't need all that stuff, just jump in there and BLOW a Bunch of money, and not be satisfied with it. If you want to Race get you a RACE GUN.

N1YDP22 I have read the threads you have started and posts you have made.
It is obvious that you have the interest to get started into BR. There are many forms, from shortrange 100-200, Long range, and score.
The easiest answer is to find some club matches and go. Most clubs will let you shoot with them, some even have special categories for guns like you have described in past posts.
I do know there are some matches of sorts in Main. You might try to find Pete Wass here on BRC and he can tell you about some of them.
Take what you have go shoot and have fun, win, lose or draw.
Then you can see and experience the world of BR. Try several different types, then you can decide what you like and then invest what you can or want to from there.

Just come...

N1YDP22 I have read the threads you have started and posts you have made.
It is obvious that you have the interest to get started into BR. There are many forms, from shortrange 100-200, Long range, and score.
The easiest answer is to find some club matches and go. Most clubs will let you shoot with them, some even have special categories for guns like you have described in past posts.
I do know there are some matches of sorts in Main. You might try to find Pete Wass here on BRC and he can tell you about some of them.
Take what you have go shoot and have fun, win, lose or draw.
Then you can see and experience the world of BR. Try several different types, then you can decide what you like and then invest what you can or want to from there.

To Damariscotta this Sunday or Orrington on the 14 th. You can look, ask and maybe even handle to help you up the BRnlearning curve. The three ranges in Maine, Lincoln County, Orrington and Augusta that hold registered IBS matches, all have a factory class. You can bring your rifle, no muzzle breaks and I would suggest a lighter recoiling caliber, and about 60 loaded rounds and shoot a match for yourself. No better way to see if you like it. I'm the match director at Orrington and would be happy to answer your questions. It's a friendly bunch so don't be intimidated. We all started out on our arses!

On the flip side of that coin, you can pay $1500 for a top of the line custom action and still wind up with a hunk of crap. Believe me, I know from personal experience........unfortunately.:(

shoot what you can afford Nothing is wrong with a blue printed Remington
There also are many used rifles for sale right here on the site . Many are fine some may need a bit of work but you can save quite a bit of $$$$

shoot what you can afford Nothing is wrong with a blue printed Remington
There also are many used rifles for sale right here on the site . Many are fine some may need a bit of work but you can save quite a bit of $$$$

I've seen some Remingtons that I wish I owned....

Not advocating a Remington for competition purposes but competitive Remingtons exist.

Wilber i have had a few,
Many zeros were shot with them over the years. plus many competitions won and still winning. German Salazer does quite well in long range with them.
They just need a bit of tweeking.

One thing that most though not all agree to is that by the time you take one of the mass produced off the shelf actions, say for instance a Remington and then spend the money to have it trued or blueprinted and all the things necessary to make it competitive that you could have just bought a custom action in the first place.
FWIW

Back