Actions for F-Class?

lojak

Hi there,

I'm in the process of deciding the various parts for an F-Class rifle build, and I'm curious what actions folks would recommend for it? Here in Canada, the Barnard actions are very popular, but I'm unhappy with the lack of a stainless action, so I'm looking at other options. What would you folks recommend? I'm still considering the caliber, but as of now, it is between 6BR and .223 (shooting the 90gr bullets).

Thanks,

-- L

My F-Class open gun is built on a Barnard. Chamber is .284 Win. I actually like the c.m. actions myself. I feel they are more durable etc...in how they wear. Also has a awesome trigger out of the box.

If I we're to pick something else. My choice would be between a Barnard and a BAT Machine action. BAT Machine's actions are very nice as well and they make them in C.M. and S.S.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels Inc.

Thanks German!

You're quite right, the decision is between F-Open and F/TR. The reason for both those choice is related to some major back surgury I had, which prevents me from arching my back much (if at all). I'm able to go prone, but unfortunately I am much more recoil sensitive. For F/TR, I wanted to use .308, but after shooting a friend's kit, it was too painful and my shooting deteriorated quickly. 6BR and the variants are are fine, and what I'd like to shoot - but the 7mm reign here in Canada, so my wind reading skills need to be top-notch in order to be competitive. I'm not there yet, but I've been practicing with a .22 at several hundred yards to improve those skills. Anyway, the .223 is an option because the 90gr bullets are in vogue here now, and are actually winning matches in F/TR! There is a lot of interest since components are cheaper, and recoil is much less. I'm still on the fence, but I have time to decide -- the season is winding down here, and won't start up again until April. Plenty of time to order components and have those put together.

Oh, and thanks for the tip about the Stolle's weight. I've been considering that action as well. Both it and a BAT action work out to about the same cost for me, after the various import fees and taxes. The Barnard is less expensive, but weight is a factor with it.

Cheers,

-- Stephen

I would suggest either the Barnard P or S both are great actions out of the box and the other plus is you can shoot a 223 of the 308 (BR) bolt face by simply changing the extractor, that way you could run a switch barrel set up for both of the calibers you mention using only 1 action.

Matt P

Defiance Action

Defiance Action, 30 inch trueflite barrel 223 Rem. 1 - 7 twist, Robertson stock put
together for me at Robertsons in Ottawa Ont.

Attachments

• P8100033.jpg
    P8100033.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,520
Hi there,

"............ but I'm unhappy with the lack of a stainless action, so I'm looking at other options........"
Thanks,

-- L

Have you considered the Kelbly's Panda FClass?

It offers larger bedding/glue in surface (this if you plan to use conventional stock), light weight (but rigid, still), integral (both for scope & open sight) mounting system, etc...... customer service is also great. Personally I think it's a perfect action for Fclass rifle.

seb.

I would consider any caliber ( 308 bolt face) in a BAT mb dual port action. None better made on the planet Earth. Period...
Tom

We are the Canadian Barnard dealer. Barnards are available with dual ports and all that sort of thing. Both the P and S can make weight for F-TR but the heaviest barrel should be a heavy Palma and attention to stock weight and accessories is required, I am talking about Robertson stocks of course. Also remember that if you squeeze by the weight limit you may want to change a scope or something later and be over the limit so think ahead! The Bats are very nicely made actions but the SS is very soft and they must be carefully maintained. It is also nice to be able to make a call and have an action on your doorstep in a few days or weeks (usually!!, dual ports are custom but still only a couple of months) with no export issues. I am not aware of a better made action than a Barnard based on all the different actions we have had through the shop. F-TR seems a little more popular than F-O in this area and the 223 will certainly shoot with the 308 although the 308 might have a bit at long range.

The thing I like about the Barnards, is that tolerances are close, but not too close. If you get unburnt powder or carbon fouling in a tight action, or maybe dust or grass when laying down on an F class mound, my Barnard will still cycle well enough, where as my other actions can be too prone to jamming or being hard to cycle.

Wait times for a new action can be lengthy I have found out lately. I just placed an order for a Defiance action for a new long range rifle. I saw my first Defiance a couple of weeks ago and was very happy with the quality, fit and finish. I really wanted this new gun to be a "Drop Port" action and was happy to find out that Defiance offers a Drop Port model. Take a look at them you may be surprised at these actions and the wait time? 60 Days......

http://www.defiancemachine.com/

Roland

Question about the Kelbly's Panda FClass, does it have a longer barrel thread area than the regular Panda and what are the other differences?

Question about the Kelbly's Panda FClass, does it have a longer barrel thread area than the regular Panda and what are the other differences?

Mshelton,
I'm Not the right person to answer your question.
Anyway I believe the F-class / Bigbore Panda has the same thread/tenon as the regular Panda. 1 1/16-18 thread by 1.115" long. --- Your question might be 'Why same?' - my best guess is, because the regular Panda is/has already a proven performer. If Kelbly needs something to change/add, that's probably the built in recoil lug only (i.e. for the use of larger cartridges). And they did!

This is from their catalog:
Regular Panda Short: 1.5" wide x 1.720" high x 8.50" long. At 30.5 oz.
The Bigbore Panda Short has an additional lug at the front - bottom. (1/5" high...by around 1/4" thick). Also a side mount for open/iris sight. Weight 31.5 oz.
Looking from the specs, bolt - trigger hanger - primary holes spacing etc are same. Bolt & receiver configurations/options also same.

I do like integral mount system. Panda uses both aircraft grade alum alloy & steel combination, for a very good reason. From machining standpoint/view, it's more difficult to make than round receiver. Round receiver without integral mount is more easier & faster to make. If I would like to make a receiver with shortest machining time it must be a round receiver without integral mount / lug, or a receiver without long bolt raceway. Squareness & trueness in one billet round receiver is also easier to achieved than a "plug-in thread" like used on Panda action. --That's why I like Stolle Panda & the Drop Port version. It needs higher skills & more precision equipments/instruments to make a receiver like Stolle Panda.

seb.

Back