Action Truing jig

JonathanK

I am in the process of building an action truing jig primarily for Rem 700 SA LA actions. This is the kind of jig that mounts in the chuck and uses 8 bolts to dial in the action. I am currently boring a piece of 3 in. stock for my base, I plan on drilling and tapping 12 holes so it will work with SAs and LAs. I could use some help with how far I should space my sets of bolts(4 holes for the front of the action and the 4 holes for the rear of the action for long action and for a short action). Also what type and pitch bolts are you guys using (ie 3/8 20 brass)?
Thanks,
Jonathan K

I just made another one that I like. It's 6" long x 2.7" wide from mild steel, bored out to 1.6". 12 Holes are spaced 4" and 5" apart being .500" from each end.
Screws are 5/16" x 24 tpi bored out to take brass tips. It's solid and works, but I'm not sure I need that much rigidity.

Have you seen this shorter style that Mike Bryant uses. Take a look here http://www.bryantcustom.com/articles/true.htm. I built one like this and I prefer this style over the one that postions screws over the front and rear bridge. I think its easier to set up and and it holds very well. I like the idea of the action being closer to the chuck and I think it is also less likely to put the action in a bind. Just some food for thought.

Last edited:
I made one similar to Mike's too. I'm still not certain which one I like better. Time will tell with more setups.
I'm no expert here. Either way the front and rear of the action bore have to line up.

I believe Dave Kiff is offering one for D1-4 setups. You don't have to worry about chucking and rough indicating it. I believe it is a Rustystud [Nat Lambeth] design.

Back