Action screw torque

There is no "correct" answer. Too many variables in stock type, bedding quality, type of compound etc etc etc. Somewhere between 12 and 30 inch pounds should get you in the general range. Start with say 26 inch pounds on both and then experiment to see what works for your rifle. Don't be afraid to go with different torques on the two screws, generally lighter in the rear than the front, but not always.

Or avoid all the experimentation; have the stock properly bedded and glued in. Then you can leave the stock screws in your parts drawer. bob

Good lord you think the guy asked how to build a nuclear reactor. If everything is put togeather properly try 25-30 in lbs. 25 should be fine.

As Bob said.

If the bedding is good just sinch up at the lowest possible torque and work on up. No need for arm wrestling poundage its only a .22rf.

Tim: This is a bench rest forum, not general discussion. Tuning a bench rest rifle can be more frustrating than nuclear engineering. If one does not care about maximum accuracy out of a rifle, then I agree with you. bob

Bob

I don't believe tuning a RFBR gun stands any comparison to nuclear engineering.....
Get the tuning wrong and all you waste is time and ammo. Get the nuclear engineering wrong and you waste a lot of people, real estate and way more money.

Bob

I don't believe tuning a RFBR gun stands any comparison to nuclear engineering.....
Get the tuning wrong and all you waste is time and ammo. Get the nuclear engineering wrong and you waste a lot of people, real estate and way more money.

Well, quite often for people that hang around the warm water outlets there are no apparant effects ever seen until they have children. There then can develop all types of disorders, typically brain function. Ask mom.

I figurered there must be a reason.............how sad.

.Please pass on my sincere condolences to your Mom

Without pillars, any overtightening will compress the wood. One of the purposes of good bedding is to hold the action firmly and squarely in the stock. This can be accomplished with 20-25 in./lbs. of torque on the screws. I actually start at 15 in./lbs., shoot a five-shot group, go to 20 in./lbs., another group and 25 in./lbs., and other group. The gun should show you which one it prefers.

Last edited:
This can be accomplished with 20-25 ft./lbs. of torque on the screws. I actually start at 15 ft./lbs., shoot a five-shot group, go to 20 ft./lbs., another group and 25 ft./lbs., and other group.

I think that should be inch pounds(in./lbs.) rather than foot pounds(ft./lbs.).

I tested my IR 50 sporter which is pillared and screwed at different torque settings and found 15 inch pounds best. You could see it on the target while testing indoors.

I tested my IR 50 sporter which is pillared and screwed at different torque settings and found 15 inch pounds best. You could see it on the target while testing indoors.

Mo

Had similar experience with mine. I ended up at 2.25nm

Back