Ackley rifle question

L

letsroll

Yes I am a newb and yes I am looking for some info on a rifle. I have a client that has consigned a rifle with me (I am an FFL) and I want to do him as good as possible. The barrel is marked P.O. Ackley out on the very top of the barrel about half way to muzzle. .220 stamped near the action just above the wood. The only other marks are a G inside a diamond on the trigger guard. On the receiver, opposite the bolt, there is some sort of a proof mark I cannot make out and it is stamped 1950 behind that. Under the proof and 1950 is says "made in Belgium". On the bottom of the receiver it appears to be stamped with 222A just forward the screw hole that holds it to the stock. On the bottom rear of the receiver, behind the trigger, it is stamped "A". There is a stamp of some sort at the base of the bolt and all we can make out of the letters there is a faint A but we are not 100% on that. The stock has absolutely nothing on it except A stamp into the area under the receiver just ahead of the rear bolt hole. I will insert some images of the system allows me to. The rifle has been in the family for 50 years and has a very nice Fecker scope on it. We believe this may be a actual PO Ackley rifle and not just a barrel job. But neither of us are expert on this and we do not want to misinform a buyer. Thank you for helping inform the ignorant! knkffl at knksportingarms.com
IMGP2523.jpgIMGP2547.jpgIMGP2569.jpgIMGP2573.jpg

I'm no expert but I've seen two and currently own one PO Ackley rifle. That one sure looks authentic. The biggest difference is that on mine and the other I've examined he wrote his name using a vibratory tool, looks like it was done by a 6yr-old. Yours looks perty fancy-stamped compared :)

al

I'm no expert but I've seen two and currently own one PO Ackley rifle. That one sure looks authentic. The biggest difference is that on mine and the other I've examined he wrote his name using a vibratory tool, looks like it was done by a 6yr-old. Yours looks perty fancy-stamped compared :)

al

thanks Al. The perplexing thing is the lack of any manufacturers markings other than the proof mark and the 1950 date and made in Belguim. that it a mauser action right?

that it a mauser action right?

Yes, and any Mauser guy could step up and quote you chapter and verse "it's a MK-X imported by Interarms and marketed to in-house gun-builders...etc etc"

I'm NOT that Mauser guy

But I think it's from PO's shop

The one thing unique about mine is that it still has the black and white pamphlet that came with the rifle. Heavy paper, maybe 10-12 pages all about the rifle and Mr Ackley's business. Kindofa' "provenance" thing. But there are resources to provide provenance for your piece, here's hoping someone will see your post and line you out.

al

The one and only P.O. Ackley rifle that I have seen was a later .300 Win Mag on a Mauser M98 non military action.
"P.O. Ackley " was on the barrel in the same place but done in silver like on the Rem 40 x BR actions .

A good forum for more information on Ackley stuff is doublegunshop.com
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=7&page=1

And possibly the Nitro Express forums :
http://forums.nitroexpress.com/ubbthreads.php

An interesting book on rifles in this time period is "Twenty-Two Caliber Varmint Rifles " by Charles S. Landis
http://www.amazon.com/Twenty-Two-Caliber-Varmint-Rifles-Charles/dp/1446502090

Glenn:D

Last edited by a moderator:
You might also contact the Gunsmith school at Trinidad State Junior College, PO Ackley started the school and they have some of his work on display. Their library might have some info.

Thanks very much guys. I will follow up with suggestions!

Back