Accurate AR???

Another thing, in case anyone forgets, the twist on an AR was changed because the longer bullet didn't stabilize properly in the 14" twist in cold weather. "However, shooting on the beach under umbrellas, fellas, we can use....." :D

maybe you could DOCUMENT FOR US where these milspec m16 a-1's are/were that had 1/14 twist bbls ??

it was either a 1/10 or 1/12..i aint gonna go look it up now...

the military changed twist when the SAW came along and tracer rounds were added to the 5.56 ammo line. the issue was the tracer round was very long for its weight( the back end full of chemicals, not lead) and it would not stabalize in the slow twist m16 a-1's.....so they went over board with the 7 twist...they would have been good with 8 and probably 9...but they went to excess.
mike in co

#1, I was not speaking of the 40gr bullet, I wouldn't use that bullet on a coyote rifle, especially if there was the chance I might use it at night, or in reduced light.

#2 Mike, the M-16 was initially fitted w/14" barrels, but when testing revealed some instability in colder climates (in far North) the twist rate became 12", that was the twist originally used in the rifle when it replaced the m-14.

I think the Europeans, possibly Austrians, developed the 9" twist because it showed the best all-round utility for both the 193 and the nato penetrator (was that the 855?), and was used in the early AUGs before the A2 or A3 version. Yes I'd read about the tracers and the SAW, but I really didn't follow that, I didn't think I'd have much exposure to that ammo, and less utility.

But, for an AR VarMint rifle, I'd stick to a 12" or 10" twist

OAO

Last edited:
again show me some documentation...not wickapedia mis-information..

when adopted as m16 for the af...1/12 twist( yes i went and did some research), same for the rest of the a1's.

mike in co

I just put together a AR with a DPMS barrel. It's 1 in 9, 223, 24", heavy. It's free floated and correctly torqued. What accuracy would any of you expect from this barrel - 1 min, 1/2 min, or just what would be reasonable?

Also, would anyone like to comment on accuracy of 223 with Reloader 15?

it is in three pieces...the ability of the shooter, the skill of the loader, and the quality of the bbl.
i do not know who makes thier bbls, so no idea of the quality. this would be the bbl, the chamber and the crown.
if you shoot 55 fmj bulk bullets i would not expect much, if you spend some money on some quality bullets for the twist...sub moa...but see above.
if you put a 40 dollar scope on a 1000 dollar rifle , don't expect much. spend close to the cost of the rifle on optics.

mike in co

I just put together a AR with a DPMS barrel. It's 1 in 9, 223, 24", heavy. It's free floated and correctly torqued. What accuracy would any of you expect from this barrel - 1 min, 1/2 min, or just what would be reasonable?

Also, would anyone like to comment on accuracy of 223 with Reloader 15?

I like R15 with the 69gr+ bullets. But Varget and AA2230 did well for me too. AA2230 is cheaper and covers more a little territory in .223 Rem than Varget or R15. I had a hard time stuffing enough R15 and Varget in light bullet weights like 50gr to where I wanted in fps compared to AA2230.

My $800 DPMS Panther bull 20 is 5shot .5MOA gun with variety of bullets. I've had a few 10 shot groups in .5MOA.

shooting 1/2 moa is not thet tough with a quality bbl and good bullets.
now see what it takes to consistantly shoot 1/4 moa/////
and then see how much money and time one can spend getting an ar/223 to shoot consistantly under .2.......

mike in co

Back