accurate .22lr

That's OK RG. It's a good thing we all don't like the same gun or there wouldn't be enough guns to go aroung now would there. :)

I am wanting to know who make the most accurate .22lr in a hunting type model on the market? I want benchrest quality in a varmint type rifle. Thanks for your help.

I'm not sure what the author meant by benchrest "quality"; whether it was accuracy, fit and finish, cost or something else. But I'm surprised nobody mentioned some of the old Remington 500 series, like a 512 or a 581. You can find them at about any gun show, you can even find some that are almost as new. They are usually cheaper than any current production and usually much more accurate for the money. Thanks, Douglas

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the repleys. I do mean the most accurate 22lr in a hunting/varmint type stock. I don't really care for the benchrest stocks. Heavy barrels are ok. I will be shooting up to 100yds but mostly between 50 and 75 yards.

I have found a Winchester 52D for sale, but I don't know much about them. Are they very accurate?

Thanks again for your help.

52D's are very accurate, benchrest accurate, but they are also very heavy, no good for hunting. Thanks, Douglas

Accurate .22 for hunting

About 10 years ago Kimber America made a HUNTER model for 2-3 years. It was a super accurate sporter weight rifle with a great trigger. I occasionally see them online, usually at about 1/2 the price of a Cooper. With good match ammo mine will consistently shoot .25 - .375 at 50 yds. Other than that, for my money the CZ 452 and 455 are hard to beat for the money.

Since this is a VERY old post brought to life let me ad a little from 50 + years of shooting High End 22 SPORTERS

For those wishing ultimate accuracy in the 22 LR the below is a PARTIAL list -of rifles and the type of accuracy that can be expected at 50 Yds:

.25 or less

Remington 40X Repeater Sporter
Winchester 52 Sporter--NON Jap
Sako P-94,P-72 and P-78
Mauser 201
Cooper 36
Cooper 57
Anschutz 54 Action
Remington 541's

.3---.4

CZ 452-455
Remington 541 T
Remington 581
Ruger 77/22 May need rechambered
Winchester 52 Repo

Before the "Custom Action" Sporters were seen the gun to beat in early Competition were the 541 'S then the Sako P-94 pretty much dominated mainly because of the Jewell trigger option --Annies were never a threat as there weight hurt them.

Good Luck

Jim

G'day.

To add to the list, check out an Izhmash KO-2.

It's a toggle action Russian rimfire. Basically a biathlon action in a hunting stock. Hammer forged barrel, factory epoxy bedded, match chamber, a great trigger and not ammo fussy. Mine is almost as good as my old Annie M54 but a whole heap lighter and very fast to reload.

That's my opinion anyhow, but you can check out RFC for more info

* doghunter *

Comments on expected accuracy

To me, expected accuracy of a hunting rifle is not the same as expected accuracy shooting off of a bench, with a high power scope and wind flags. And of course there is the expected accuracy of the hunter who is behind the trigger. Take a look at the rifles being used on RimfireCentral's threads on 50 yard iron sight bench shooting. To get a perfect score, a 200-20x, all the shots need to fall within a centered grouping of .624 inches. And to get a 200 score, the groupings need to be centered and within 1.1 inch. We get enamored of very small groups, and we tend to remember the ones we get, but tend to forget the many others which do not come in as small. Finn Aagaard was a professional hunter in Africa and wrote many articles published in gun magazines. His favorite rifle was an old Winchester 70 in .375 H&H magnum. It was not terribly accurate, shooting about 3 inch groups at 100 yards, but it would do that to the same point of aim day after day and year after year. It is much easier to change our expectations than to come up with a hunting rifle which will consistently shoot both o the same point of aim and be shooting sub-minute of angle groups. Let me add one other place to look on RimfireCentral.com, the 25 yard offhand 50 shots on the A23/5 target. There are a few who shoot really good groups. I have never shot 50 shots and kept them all within the 9 ring. That would be about a two inch circle at 25 yards. So in considering a hunting rifle, whether it shoots potentially quarter of inch groups or one inch groups is of little importance compared with the other aspects of the rifle to be considered. A CZ Lux with the existing iron sights or with a 4x rimfire scope will probably serve any rimfire hunter very well at a reasonable cost.

Try a US Springfield M1922, M1922M1, or M2 model if you can find one.
Jon
IMG_0002_zpsdfba56e0.jpg

It's the top rifle. I just sold the 52.
IMG_0003_zps2d821e13.jpg

Last edited:
Back