accurate .22lr

M

malcarjeb

I am wanting to know who make the most accurate .22lr in a hunting type model on the market? I want benchrest quality in a varmint type rifle. Thanks for your help.

Accurate 22

I agree that the Cooper is a very accurate and well made rifle as I have worked on these in the past. If you want the most bang for the buck and a rifle that can shoot better then you, try the CZ-453 with the set trigger. Dollar for Dollar you won't go wrong.

Crosshair

benchrest accuracy.......

malcarjeb
Well, benchrest season is over and things are slow so..........as i'm reckon you know,benchrest rifles are generall very specialized so you will have to make a few compromises to have a carry rifle. Most likey the 3" wide forearm with sharp corners will have to go as will the ultra slick stock finish. You might want to get rid of the 1-2 oz. trigger too_Ofcourse the rifle is a bit bulky to carry around with the 28" barrel,then added to that is the Hoehn tuner with bloop tube or parralle noodle.I'm thinking the 35 lb. one piece rest [that they shoot so well from] might need to be eliminated too.... Anyway, with all this said my point is that you will not get the ultimate benchrest accuracy with all these compromises but you can still get good accuracy. Just depends on what you will settle for? If you could find a Remmington 40 sporter,Winchester 52 sporter,nice Sako Finnfire...there are a lot of good choices including the Ruger 77/22. Now i know...the Ruger is not accurate...
Actually i had one in 1987 that had to be the worst .22 i ever owned but i recently got another one, the Ruger VMBZ in Target Grey .22lr. and so far it is amazing me.All i have done is install a Jard trigger and yesterday i fired 4 groups of 5 rds. each at 100yds. The temp. was 37 deg. almost no breeze and light drizzle.I used SK std. ammo.The worst grp. was 1.5" the other three were 5/8"-13/16" and 3/8". My point is there are a lot of choices for you but you have to decide what compromises you can live with and what level of accuracy you really need.So, look around,ask questions see what your buddies have and you may still have to "go thru a few" before you find the One!
Colt.45

Practical hunting accuracy...

...will in large part depend on you, the shooter. A CZ 452 with a clean trigger will do just fine. So will an Anschutz, most any model. Yes to the Coopers. Most shooting during hunting is done while standing. The rest is done while sitting. (I am not counting dog hunting with a portable bench) Whether the rifle is capable with good ammo of 1/4" or 1/2" groups at 50 yards really won't matter much. Given most hunting ammo is not any where near as accurate as the good .22 match ammo, given your distance to the target is an educated guess and given you don't have wind flags up, don't worry about benchrest accuracy. Get a rifle that you enjoy owning, is easy to carry, gets on target quickly and you will be happy. My 2 cents worth.

Cooper would be my first choice. Anschutz and Ultra-Light Arms make some incredably accurate (and expensive) rimfires also. CZ's can work with a little trigger work and some free floating but they will not hang with the others as far as guilt edge accuracy goes. They are however very accurate for the money. I'm sure there are others, that with a little work would make fine hunter/sporter class rifles. It all depends on how much time you want to stick into the less expensive ones or the amount of cash you have for the ones that have benchrest accuracy right out of the box. I plan on using my new Cooper Custom Classic in the IR50/50 Sporter class next year.

RG

A Cooper for Sporter class

Here is my e-mail to Cooper and their reply. Watch the weight of the rings and the scope. They are fine rifles.
======================================
RE: What Cooper rifle for IR 50/50 ?‏
Sent: Mon 6/30/08 11:11 AM
To: David Valdina (DavidValdina@hotmail.com)
David,
Our benchrest 22 LR, the TRP3, was designed for use in IR50/50 in the 10.5 and 13.5 pound classes. Even if it could make weight for the Sporter Class, it would not qualify due to the other limitations of that class (forearm width, wood stock, must be able to feed 2 rounds from a magazine, etc...). The Model 57M Classic will meet the requirements of IR50/50 Sporter Class, but it's very close on weight (6.5 lbs w/out scope or bases).
Our dealer in MA:
Ware Gun Shop 91 W Main St.,Ware,MA 01082 Mike 413-967-7456
Hope this helps,
Dan Pickett
Cooper Arms
=======================================
Sent: Monday, June 30, 2008 6:40 AM
To: info (At Cooper via their site)
Subject: What Cooper rifle for IR 50/50 ?
Hi,
I have started shooting rimfire benchrest. The local folks shoot 3 gun IR 50/50. Most shoot their 10.5 pound class guns in that and the 13 pound class. But most have a Sporter class rifle for the 7.5 pound Sporter class. I like the looks of your benchrest .22, but it weighs about 8 pounds without scope, so is too heavy. Do you make a rifle that will make weight with a scope ? Scope is limited to 6.5X and Burris and Weaver seem to be what folks are using.
I am on Cape Cod in the summer, so where could I find a Massachusetts or New England dealer ?
Thank you for getting back to me on this.
Best regards, David Lee Valdina

David

The only bad thing about that is his politcs.Here is my e-mail to him.......

Sir
To whom it may concern:

It is my understanding that your company is backing Barack Obama for President. This is a terrible tragedy on your part. Barack Obama does not want to see any individuals own firearms. He is going to essentially deface and destroy the US constitution if given the chance, starting with the first and second amendments.

You are sowing the seeds of your own demise.

I refuse to support Barak Obama in any way shape or form, and since you are backing said candidate, I cannot allow myself or anyone I know support your company in any way. I vow to never own any of your products and will do my very best to persuade others to avoid your company as well.

I believe right after that his company asked him to step down.......

Look at the date of my e-mail...

I wrote in June, long before any political questions had come up. But this thread was asking about a benchrest quality hunting rifle at first, then kind of drifted to a Cooper for sporter class and I fell in line with the trend. The Cooper would make an excellent hunting rifle and may or may not make weight for sporter class. As to a hunting rifle, considering small game is taken with the .22 rimfire, probably the best single attribute of the rifle is the ease in which you can bring it into action. It needs to be light enough so you will carry it in two hands, kind of port arms carry. If it is a tad muzzel heavy it may allow you to swing on target and then get it steady for the shot well. I guess I would pick as the second most important aspect a good trigger, perhaps very close with a fast sighting system. Probably a 1 to 5 variable scope. What accuracy the hunter can reliably count on will determine the distances in which the shot will be taken. Some can take squirrels at 100 yards, I think most of us are 30 to 60 yards. Get close, then get closer is still good advice.

CZ 452 or 453

Just as accurate as any 64 action Annie. Easier mag change's in the field. Add a Rifle Basix trigger to a 452 and do not look back. Great rifle.:D

The 453 Varmint sounds like just what the Dr. ordered. Comes with a nice single set trigger.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard of a guy going to some IR 50/50 matches in Minnesota with a New Ultra Light Arms .22 and doing better than shooters in the 10.5 and 13.5-lb. classes...

*Back to the focus of a hunting rifle, the NULA .22 was made for hunting, just so happens it shoots well enough to beat out benchrest rifles

Last edited by a moderator:
For the money and a field gun the Savage MKII shoots very well. The CZ is better but a lot more cash. Several of the tactical guys use the MKII for practice out to 200 yds.

.........this thread was asking about a benchrest quality hunting rifle at first, then kind of drifted to a Cooper for sporter class and I fell in line with the trend. The Cooper would make an excellent hunting rifle and may or may not make weight for sporter class. As to a hunting rifle, considering small game is taken with the .22 rimfire, probably the best single attribute of the rifle is the ease in which you can bring it into action. It needs to be light enough so you will carry it in two hands, kind of port arms carry. If it is a tad muzzel heavy it may allow you to swing on target and then get it steady for the shot well. I guess I would pick as the second most important aspect a good trigger, perhaps very close with a fast sighting system. Probably a 1 to 5 variable scope. What accuracy the hunter can reliably count on will determine the distances in which the shot will be taken. Some can take squirrels at 100 yards, I think most of us are 30 to 60 yards. Get close, then get closer is still good advice.

My Cooper Custom Classic weighs in at ≈ 7.1 lbs. with a Leupold VX-III 2.5-8x36 mounted. IR50/50 stipulates ≤ 7.5 lbs. with a 6.5X scope. Mine might weigh a tad less than a normal Custom Classic as it was ordered with both a skeletonized butt plate and grip cap. This rifle's primary attribute was to be an heirloom and is one of the most beautiful rifles I have ever seen in my life (honestly). It is however extremely accurate so I decided that in addition to thinning out the local cotton/bushy tail populations I would give a try at some local competitions this coming Spring/Summer. I was only able to shoot 3 targets after finishing up some informal ammo testing but it looks like I should be able to hold my own even though I have never attempted anything like this before. I hope to take advantage of the vast knowledge base here on Benchrest Central and all those seasoned veterans that supply it.

Cheers,
RG

I too, say Cooper... I have a Winchester 52D and an Anschutz target rifle and my Cooper Model 57M shoots as well as the Anschutz and almost as well as the Model 52D...

IF your looking for the most accurate and best LOOKING I would go with any of the Anschutz 54 action sporters. They may cost a little more but you get what you pay for. Just MOP.

IF your looking for the most accurate and best LOOKING I would go with any of the Anschutz 54 action sporters. They may cost a little more but you get what you pay for. Just MOP.

Best looking???????

WithLeupoldVXIII008.jpg

WithLeupoldVXIII010.jpg

Sorry bigred, couldn't resist :)

RG

Last edited:
Back to RandyG

Congratulations on a fine rifle. You lucked out on the weight and do try your hand at the sporter class shooting. You will learn a lot by attending. Folks will help out and will give advice. Find out what ammo it likes. Learn the wind. And you should hold your own. A lot of precision has to do with equipment but a lot of accuracy has to do with the shooter. Practice a lot. Get lots of trigger time in as many events as you can enter. Do learn to read the wind.

Back