accuracy node for 7mm magnum or WSM

rooshooter

For any of the 7mm Rem mag, 7mm booboo or 7WSM shooters out there (long range target shooters) what velocity are you finding your barrel nodes at. With the straight 284, it seems to be around 2800 fps. Is it up around 3000 with the larger magnum cases shooting 180gn bullets?

I shoot my 7WSM with the 180 Bergers to right at 2,900-2,925 fps - Las Vegas, NV 2,200 ft alt.

Bolo shoots his 7 SAUM with the 180 Bergers at 2,950fps or more as he manages to use less MOA at my home range then I do.

You can run them faster, but the node seems to be around 2,900-2,950.

JeffVN

3100-3150 with the BooBoo with the Berger 180BT. Going to try a slower powder here in the next couple days and see if I can improve on the group. Rifle shoots some wicked scores with that velocity, but gonna try and slow it down a little and keep the case somewhat full with a slower powder. BooBoo case holds right around 90g H2O to the top of the neck, so its quite a big case for 7mm.

RWS brass is tough as nails, so kinda scary to think how fast I could push the 180. My guess would be up around 3300, but would rather take the lower accuracy node and not get caught with pressure problems.

Later
Rob

I shoot my 7WSM with the 180 Bergers to right at 2,900-2,925 fps - Las Vegas, NV 2,200 ft alt.

You can run them faster, but the node seems to be around 2,900-2,950.

JeffVN

Same here. Loading my 7WSM with 180 Bergers at 2924 fps. out of a 30" barrel using 68gr H1000. Sweet load!

It seems that with a node at 2925-2950 fps, that it is not much further ahead of the straight 284 which seems to have a node around 2800 fps, only another 125-150 fps. I thought nodes were about 200-300 fps apart. Maybe the bigger cases such as the booboo are needed to get to the 3100 fps node.

The next load in my rifle is at 3140. But the pressure is at 63689. The map is 64582. Im trying to extend my barrel life by running a little slower. I also dont want the increased recoil.

It seems that the accuracy node is anywhere between 2930-2980. Rel-22 seems to be the winning ticket. Rad

For any of the 7mm Rem mag, 7mm booboo or 7WSM shooters out there (long range target shooters) what velocity are you finding your barrel nodes at. With the straight 284, it seems to be around 2800 fps. Is it up around 3000 with the larger magnum cases shooting 180gn bullets?

I have a friend that shoots the lights out with a 7mm rem mag using Retumbo,and 162 a-max bullets. His velocity is a consistant 3050 and single digit sd out of a 27" Broughton 5c.

Ron Tilley

It appears that the node for my 7SAUM HG is about 3050. Was shooting it at 3080 with the Berger 180s and did pretty well with them. Groups tightened up at 3050. Got to make it up to Sac Valley to test them and give Ron, Bob, Jerry, Pete and the rest of the gang a run for their money.
OOPS! Should mention Lynn Sr. also.

Steve

It appears that the node for my 7SAUM HG is about 3050. Was shooting it at 3080 with the Berger 180s and did pretty well with them. Groups tightened up at 3050. Got to make it up to Sac Valley to test them and give Ron, Bob, Jerry, Pete and the rest of the gang a run for their money.
OOPS! Should mention Lynn Sr. also.

Steve

Steve, I got a new secret hot rod waitin for the dragon, let me know when you are comin and I will dust er off.

There appears to be nodes around 2950 fps up to 3050 fps and up to 3150 fps. I was expecting that with similar barrel lengths that there would have been a more definite velocity range, say around 250 fps apart from each other, but this doesnt seem to be the case. People seem to be shooting loads in 100 fps graduations. I wonder why this is?

I'm using a 28" in my current 7WSM for F-Class Open, but it's replacment is a 30." I hope the node is faster for the longer tube - less wind is always a good thing...

JeffVN

Aw ,come on now Ron. This won't be the Nationals. Give me a chance at takin some fake wood from ya at a monthly.

Steve

Aw ,come on now Ron. This won't be the Nationals. Give me a chance at takin some fake wood from ya at a monthly.

Steve[/QUOTE

Steve, I know better than to give you a chance!!!!!!!!!!!! just kiddin, hope to see you at a match. Hope your sky is clearer than the sky here from the fires, I have never seen anything like it.

Back