accuracy at 300 yards w/14t 6mm br???

D

DCryder

I'm thinking about trading for a 40x with a shilen 14 twist barrel in 6br. My question is how far will the light 62 grain bullets hold their accuracy?? Also should it stabilize 70 gr SMK's?? I shoot backyard benchrest from 100 to 300 yds mainly.

Thanks

Dave

A good 6BR with a 14 twist should do just fine at 300 yds. We shoot 300 yds monthly at our club shoots, and most are using the 6ppc w/ 14 twist barrels shooting bullets in the 63 to 68 gr range. The PPC's are hard to beat at this distance, but we have had the occasional good 6BR do very well.

Rick Graham
www.BRFlags.com

Last edited:
It should do fine at 300 and even 400 yards with 66 or 68 Gr match bullets and it should shoot 70gr bullets as well in all likelyhood, try 70 Sierra BT match. At longer ranges on a windy day it will have a tough time holding up against a 6BR with heavier VLD's from a Faster twist barrel.

Last edited:
My 6BR 14 twist PacNor 4 groove barrel shoots the 75gr Vmax better than the 70gr Sierra BT match, some have had trouble with the 75gr Vmax in a 14 twist but mine shoots them great out to 600 yards.
I shot them in an informal 300 yard match last weekend conditions were windy and switchy generally they performed very well. On the second relay I shot bullets from a different lot and they were not as good as those from the lot I shot in the first relay (I should have sorted the second lot).
I think Dick intended to say: At longer ranges on a windy day it will have a tough time holding up against a 6BR with heavier VLD's from a faster twist barrel.

James

I'm thinking about trading for a 40x with a shilen 14 twist barrel in 6br. My question is how far will the light 62 grain bullets hold their accuracy?? Also should it stabilize 70 gr SMK's?? I shoot backyard benchrest from 100 to 300 yds mainly.

Thanks

Dave

I have shot 5 groups of 10 shots each at 300 yards in a BR match using a 6 br with a 14 twist.
I used 66 grain fowler bullets and h-4895 powder.
It will carry the 68 and 70 grain bullets ver good in a 14 twist.
All the records at 300 yards is held by a ppc using a 13.5 and 14 twists and 66 grain bullets.

I think Dick intended to say: At longer ranges on a windy day it will have a tough time holding up against a 6BR with heavier VLD's from a faster twist barrel.

James

Yes I did make a mistake on the twist I am always getting that backwards and yes some 14t barrels at some altitudes and some velocities will handle 75gr but you are getting on the raggedy edge there. Also what is called a 14 twist barrel is typically somewhere very near 14, unless the rifling was done on a CNC machine one brand might be 13.8 while another is 14.1 etc

Dick

I think "most of the records at 300" would be a better statement I know for a fact some were shot with 30's

Ok,most have been shot with a ppc,i'm talking group records,never see a 30 win or shoot a 300 yard record in group.
Now,in score shooting,thats a different story.
of course,the .222 still holds the 100 yard group record.

Thanks guys

I really appreciate the input. I am kinda confused about twist rates and bullet lengths. I know what is recommended and how its supposed to work.

Here's my problem, I put a Hart #6 taper 6br barrel 12 twist on my xr100. With Berger 80's, and even 80gr B-Tips in shoots great at 100 yds, but at 200 yds it opens up to around 1" mostly vertical stringing. 70 gr SMK's shoot decent at 200 (mid .5's) but are only so-so at 100 (low.3's). I know on the Berger box they say the 80's are for 12 twist or faster so do i have other problems???

Back