A notable happening at the IBS Nationals

Yes Kent, I can be sure. If you don't believe me I'll send you some. Shoot a couple of groups and report back.:cool:

Ray

I will pass it along to Dick tonight for posting.

I might need to "Photoshop" out the guy in the background!

Jeff, by all means don't cut out the other guy. That picture is very symbolic of the past and the present, though lets don't consider Mr Walker as the past just yet. The symbolism is you, the first new IBS president in many years, and Mr. Walker, one of the early pioneers of this sport.

You can cut out that camper in between you two. That is where they parked me, downrange. Wonder why??

""I would say that he won.""

Everyone that shoots wins and that is Joe Hallers motto, and it is true.

Some just are waiting to get getter, or better weather.....

Just shoot whatever you have and try to beat YOU.

Virg - yep, I forgot about those bullets! I memory serves-which it doesn't too often anymore-Mike and Remington set an extraordinarily high specification for the gilding metal used to make the jackets. If you recall the "look" of the bullet jacket material, it was decidedly different than the jackets seen either before or since. They were more of a bronze color and less coppery.

They also made a 6mm 68 grain bullet that was among the best too. Didn't Dick Wright have an article a couple of years ago comparing available .22 bullets which included the vaunted Remington's? Seems to me they were as good as any in comparison to today's best.

I have heard rumors that the dies used to make them were destroyed. That could be mere myth, but very consistent with the corporate mindset that invaded Remington and its subsequent owners. Guess the benchrest bullets did not make them much money and were a lot of trouble to manufacture.

During Mike's tenure, Remington was the undisputed king of the rifle business. Sadly, that has long since changed. As Remington faded, new companies, such as Savage, have taken their place. For Savage it took a leader, such as their CEO Ron Coburn, to pilot their rise from relative obscurity to overtake Remington's position at the leading edge of the mainstream rifle market. They did it with superior products at a fair price.

jks

jks

Amen to that. I still have about seven packets of the .224's and a couple of packets of the 6mm 68's - no, they are not for sale. I might even use them one day.

Brendan Atkinson

Amen to that. I still have about seven packets of the .224's and a couple of packets of the 6mm 68's - no, they are not for sale. I might even use them one day.

Brendan Atkinson
I am wondering how these bullets got to Australia. Is there a book on Mike Walkers time at Remington or his benchrest happenings. I know he was shooting benchrest in the 1960's

I am wondering how these bullets got to Australia. Is there a book on Mike Walkers time at Remington or his benchrest happenings. I know he was shooting benchrest in the 1960's

At one time, the Remington agent was based here in Adelaide (capital of South Australia), and they imported both the 224 and 6mm versions. At the time they cost about twice as much as Sierra's, and were not a big seller. When I bought my first true benchrest rifle back in 1976 (a DGA .222 Shilen LV), I went looking for them and got lucky.

You might be surprised to know what found it's way down under to the Colonies.

Brendan Atkinson

Back