A MUST READ! An IR50/50 Sporter Shooting Feat That May Never Be Beat

Bill B

Ok, rimfire benchrest shooters, imagine this if you will:

9 Sporter Targets shot at 2 different venues, over a 2 week period.

Result, 8 - consecutive 250s in a row.

2248 out of 2250 points over 9 targets, with a sporter and a straight 6X scope.

Yes, he did it again! Ed Hosier shot another 750 today with his sporter, with 54X at the Wawarsing Club's Sporter Match. And if you are thinking, it must have been near perfect conditions, think again. A very switchy wind was blowing for much of the match. He has a death grip on the sporter scoreline and has the rest of the season to just keep improving his X count. That's 200 10s shot in a row and counting. I don't think that has ever been done with any IR class by any shooter.

And - - - it could just get better. I've never seen anything like it. I would have bet $10K that it would not be possible.

Those who witnessed this feat are gobsmacked. To say, "Well Done Ed" seems inadequate. This has to be the most amazing RFBR feat in BR history.

Last edited:
ONE CORRECTION - today was a 750-54 X's, last week it was a 750-53's

First let me congratulate Ed on his outstanding performance. UNBELIEVABLE. WONDERFUL any way you want to look at it. But I must point out today he shot 54X's. SWEET.

In my mind

Ed's results, to date, eclipses whatever else might happen all year in Rimfire Benchrest shooting, the Triple Crown included.

May we live in interesting times; hey, we are!

Great work Ed.

Pete

a well deserved honor

Ed did something that few would have ever expected...

#1 750 with a sporter which would/should have been a world record..... he followed that up, weeks later at another range, with #2 750 that would/should have been a second world record. They may not have been shot at a special shoot in order to qualify for world records but I want to say they will always be world records in my book, if not the actual record book.

This is something, no one in our shooting game has ever seen,

Thanks for the memory Ed.

In Awe,

Chris

First let me congratulate Ed on his outstanding performance. UNBELIEVABLE. WONDERFUL any way you want to look at it. But I must point out today he shot 54X's. SWEET.

Thanks Bob for the correction. I've changed my original post to reflect. Even more awesome.

Ed
AWESOME shooting. You are also one hell of a nice guy. I look forward to shooting with you every match.

I don't care if it was entirely a drop dead condition or not...that's good shooting right there!

You Go Ed!

Wondering why the Salem NY match results for last weekend hasn't been entered on the website. For those interested, once that data is entered, Ed's Sporter Scoreline will be 1750-122Xs. :eek:

Wondering why the Salem NY match results for last weekend hasn't been entered on the website. For those interested, once that data is entered, Ed's Sporter Scoreline will be 1750-122Xs. :eek:

We have not gotten them yet. We worked last night and today catching up on everything. The girls will post again on Thur.
Wayne

They were sent!!!!!!!!!

Just found out they were not received nor our 5/18 match so I
sent them again!!
Sorry to everyone waiting to see them!!!

I think I found the problem. All windows 7 computers last week started automatically updating to windows 10. When the process was reversed we may have lost the emails. That and trying to get Triple Crown Week behind us made for a very tired crew.
Not getting the emails was no reflection on Pete. He is a great Match Director.
Wayne

An Amazing Achievement!

ONE CORRECTION - today was a 750-54 X's, last week it was a 750-53's UNBELIEVABLE. WONDERFUL any way you want to look at it. But I must point out today he shot 54X's. SWEET.

750 53X 750 54X = 1500 107X

In terms of numbers, it means 150 rounds fired on target never had a single shot land outside of 0.237" from the center of the bull.
It also means 71.3% of shots fired never landed outside of 0.128" from the center of the bull. That may be equally as impressive with a sporter and 6X scope!

Landy

It would be really interesting if Ed would send All his targets from the first three with the 248 and the 8 250's in a row to landy and let him run his analysis on them and see what the numbers are on them Ill bet it is astounding. Great shooting any way you slice it with a sporter. I know Ed will get many offers to build people new sporters, is he even planning on taking jobs from the public or is he just going to shoot? I heard he did a magnificent job on this one and, obviously, it was mechanically magnificent as well and has ammo that agrees with it.
MC

It would be really interesting if Ed would send All his targets from the first three with the 248 and the 8 250's in a row to Landy and let him run his analysis on them and see what the numbers are on them Ill bet it is astounding. MC

I've always found it to be interesting and informative to analyze very good targets. In this case the analysis would be weighted more toward accuracy rather than precision because the POA is being constantly adjusted to match the conditions, but it still offers the opportunity to make comparisons across various other organization's targets and provides many useful statistics. For example, I'm curious how the targets would have scored in ARA and how they might compare against ARA winning aggs using heavy rifles with unrestricted scope magnification.

If Ed is as curious as I am, I'd be willing to look at the 6 targets I mentioned in my post but more than that would be a little more work than I'm willing to do because manually plotting the shot's location would take more time than I'm willing to give.

Also, as per my usual practices, the analysis would be sent to Ed and I wouldn't post it anywhere without his express permission. Another thing, I would prefer the targets be scanned rather than sent to me.
If Ed has any interest, he can PM me for the details or ask me any questions he may have.

Landy

I forgot the analysis isn't really set up for ir 50/50 targets and the holes have to be manually plotted. BTW Landy, I have finally gotten my targets from the indoor nats scanned would you run them on the software for me so I can see what the numbers were on them? If you are too busy I understand and it is purely up to your convienience if you wish to do it.Thanks for your reply.
MC

BTW Landy, I have finally gotten my targets from the indoor nats scanned would you run them on the software for me so I can see what the numbers were on them? If you are too busy I understand and it is purely up to your convienience if you wish to do it.Thanks for your reply.
MC

PM Sent.

Landy

For those wanting to know

My equipment list used for the Sporter class:

Action- Stiller 2500sx
Barrel- Muller works 4 MI Sporter profile
Trigger-Bix & Andy
Scope- Leopold straight 6x
Stock- Custom by George Boyle
Weight 6 lb 15.4 oz
All Smithing work performed by myself
SEB Neo front rest
Edgewood rear bag
Kowa TS611 spotting scope 25x LER
Ammo- Lapua

I want to thank each and every one of the great bunch of shooters and friends I have had the pleasure of meeting with over the last 2 years of my ir50/50 shooting career. With there encouragement and advice I have progressed from novice to (I believe) a fairly competitive shooter (I still have allot to learn).

About me
I started in the late 70's shooting IHMSA handgun metallic silhouette, along the way I set several range records and spent a short time as the IHMSA NY state director. I also tried NRA rimfire rifle silhouette, Cast bullet rifle silhouette, and some Center fire Benchrest. I like rimfire benchrest the most!

Ed Hosier

Back