A good .22 round

S

silentwarrior

I have a Glenfield/Marlin Model 60 with a BSA 7x20 scope. It is quite accurate with the right ammo (Remington Thunderbolt) at the 50 yard rest and I have taken many squirrels with it. i use Remington Thunderbolt round nose and they do the job for poppin' the bushy tails. Can anyone suggest another good quality bullet that wont jam and doesn't have wax coated bullets? I have tried a few brands such as Aquilla(OK) and Winchester(crap). I would like to shoot pheasant(ON THE GROUND A.K.A. STALK AND SHOOT) with this gun but would like more advice on some good rounds that will reach out and touch one. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Try some Federal American Eagle 38gr hollow points in the red and blue box. They shoot pretty well. Also try the Federal Auto Match bulk pack in the carton. They shoot pretty good, too. Should both be great for squirrels.

PHEASANT? This is a joke right? Have you thought of using moskeet shot shells?
Don

My favorite killer...

...are the Eley sub sonic Hollow points. Here is a rat w/ wings, more commonly known as a grackel:

Attachments

• blackbird.jpg
    blackbird.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 330
Not sure but I think it is a $500.00 fine to kill a grackel !!!!
Fred K

One of my best friends...

...is the Fed game warden & we shoot them year round w/ both .22's & scatter guns. The farmers & citris guys love us.

Not a problem shooting them but they are becoming an issue in their general growing population down here. Taking over....they are also devestating to the dove & whitewing population by moving in on their existing nests.

pf
<><

All native birds are off limits except those that have an open season. The only birds that are legal to shoot at any time are Starlings and House Sparrows, they are imports and not a native bird.

Best have your game warden friend check out the Fed Laws.
Fred K

Sorry Fred...

All native birds are off limits except those that have an open season. The only birds that are legal to shoot at any time are Starlings and House Sparrows, they are imports and not a native bird.

Best have your game warden friend check out the Fed Laws.
Fred K

...you are wrong. An over populated bird that can cause damage to crops is legal. I'll be glad to give you his # or place a wager on this.

As a Fed warden, his main responsibilities are migratory birds and port of entries. He knows the laws & we shoot with state wardens & other LEO.

I'm not worried.

pf
<><

WOW, its funny how this question of bullets came to thoughts and opinions of grackles and sparrows. And for Don Stith with the comment on shooting pheasant with .22 being a joke, NO it's not a joke. The state I live in it's legal and can be a successful challenge with THE RIGHT BULLET. Brad 541 thb, thanks for your reply. You all can go on with your blackbirds and pigeons now.

A bit more on Grackles

Google produced this, from a Brownsville paper:

During breeding season, the males typically will drop their wings, spread
their tails, make mating sounds and strut for prospective females. Males can
give their sperm to more than one female at a time.
They are usually pretty submissive and during the breeding season, they are
probably tending a nest somewhere, Farquhar said about the females. But the
males do not offer much parental care.
The males and females both lose their feathers and grow new ones in the late
summer, Farquhar said. The birds often look ragged during their post-mating
period.

Sorry sw...

WOW, its funny how this question of bullets came to thoughts and opinions of grackles and sparrows. And for Don Stith with the comment on shooting pheasant with .22 being a joke, NO it's not a joke. The state I live in it's legal and can be a successful challenge with THE RIGHT BULLET. Brad 541 thb, thanks for your reply. You all can go on with your blackbirds and pigeons now.

...it was not my intent to hijack.

I probably shoot as many quail in the noggin as I do w/ a scatter gun. The ranch I hunt is so thick the dogs come out bloody & limping after the 1st retreive. The Eley sub-sonic has a huge soft hole & could only be used for head shots as it would destroy the meat.

I find hitting a quail more challenging than getting them out of the air so I need an edge...mostly Eley Biathlon because it shoots tighter & have lots of it.

These are pricey but I don't like to miss:) I'm also not sertain about the wax coating you refer too....All I shoot are lead. Good Luck.

pf
<><

BIRDS PROTECTED BY THE MIGRATORY BIRD TREATY ACT
List of Migratory Birds

Subfamily EMBERIZINAE (Sparrows and Allies)

Euphagus carolinus, Rusty Blackbird cyanocephalus, Brewer's Blackbird Quiscalus mexicanus, Great-tailed Grackle major, Boat-tailed Grackle quiscula, Common Grackle niger, Greater Antillean Grackle

http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/intrnltr/mbta/taxolst.html

Fred K

Fred,

BIRDS PROTECTED BY THE MIGRATORY BIRD TREATY ACT
List of Migratory Birds

Subfamily EMBERIZINAE (Sparrows and Allies)

Euphagus carolinus, Rusty Blackbird cyanocephalus, Brewer's Blackbird Quiscalus mexicanus, Great-tailed Grackle major, Boat-tailed Grackle quiscula, Common Grackle niger, Greater Antillean Grackle

http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/intrnltr/mbta/taxolst.html

Fred K

I talked to him and he was on the road. He told me to google cfr.42 or cfr.43 which is some sort of add on in regards to depredating birds that give us here in Texas the right to hammer them. I didn't bother as he said he would send me the info next time he is in front of his pc. I'll pass it along once he forwards me the info.

He said to be careful as State law can have tougher rules that go above the fws you must abide, but they cannot be more lenient over the Fed standards. So what is good for TX may not be good for other states & just because we have a big over population that other areas may see few??

He said it's give & take and too political. He said they are now giving permits down here for what we call Water Turkeys / Cormorants because they are wiping out fish ponds.

We also got to talking about the collared dove that is growing down here in pretty fast #'s and how some time in the not too far future, we may get year round dove eating. I have shot some of these and they are great table fare.

pf
<><

Texas Regulation on Blackbirds

If you Google Texas Parks and Wildlife and read the regulations you will find:

"Yellow-headed, red-winged, rusty, or Brewer's blackbirds and all grackles, cowbirds (does not include cattle egret), crows, or magpies may be controlled without a federal or state depredation permit when found committing or about to commit depredations on ornamental or shade trees, agricultural crops, livestock, or wildlife, or when concentrated in numbers and in a manner that constitutes a health hazard or other nuisance."

Well it might be legal but it surely ain't sporting.

They have taken over down here in the limits...

Kind of hard to get by with blasting the in the city limits.

...the city has tried everything including speakers / blasts, etc.

There are businesses that have to power wash parking lots and side walks every day.

Rats w/ wings!!

pf
<><

Back