A few more thoughts on world records

Gene B

A few more thoughts on measuring targets and world records.

After reading the responses to my previous posting about measuring targets and the process for determining records I feel that I needed to give my thoughts on this topic one more time.

Somebody responded to my previous post and said that the measurements at matches could be +- .040, and that it is possible that somebody has shot a potential record that wasn’t submitted because it was range scored large.

In my opinion that has never happened and it never will. It won’t happen because there is not a range in this country that can get by with large scores. Ranges don’t score large because as soon as a target is posted that is scored large, it is protested, and the large score is made smaller. We’ve all seen that happened many times. On the other hand if a target is range scored small nobody protests. That is the reason that no range will get away with scoring big, and all ranges tend to score small. This is not a problem on match day, because all targets are scored equally small, by the same person, using the same device. It only becomes a problem when the targets are submitted for world record (I’m going to continue using that term for NBRSA targets till somebody tells me not to) recognition that the small scores given by ranges become a problem. Besides small scores at matches keep the matches flowing along smoothly, without all the bother of continual protests.

I think that the NBRSA calls their records world records because they are the oldest organization involved in benchrest and they started to call their records world records when they were all that there was in benchrest.
I also think that the only two organizations that have an official scoring process for potential records are the NBRSA and the IBS. I think that WBSF simply uses the range score as the record measurement and there is no other measurement done on any of their record targets. I don’t know about the rest of the world but I think that they are just like the WBSF in that there is no official scoring process for records. Please correct me if I’m wrong here???

Before this topic dies I will give a few more of my thoughts on Jackie’s targets.

Except for Mike Conry’s daughter, who scores at Midland and did the original range score last July, and the gentlemen on my measuring committee there is nobody else that has scored Jackie’s targets without having the range score in front of their face, seeing the previous score, on an individual target, dose tend to influence the outcome. That’s why I tape over the range scores when I send targets out for an official score.
All of the people that scored Jackie’s targets either had Jackie huddled over their shoulder, encouraging them, while they were scoring the targets or they have a dog in this fight --- and I don’t mean that there is any kind of fight going on here ---it’s a term that I feel is appropriate to describe the others that did score Jackie’s targets and make comments here about them.

From Jackie’s description, posted here on this forum, about how he uses a measuring device to score targets I am going to say that Jackie does not know how to score group targets. The inscribed circle on a measuring device dose not in any way compensate for anything!!!! The inscribed circle on a scoring device is caliber size and therefore is larger than the hole made by the bullet!!! This is good because it takes the inscribed line out of the score as you don’t cover any of the smudge, or bullet arc, with it. Instead you do leave some paper between the inscribed line and the smudge left by the bullet. How much paper is left is determined by looking at a single bullet hole, usually on the sighter. To score a group you must find the arc made by the bullet with whatever evidence is left on the target and center the inscribed circle on that arc. Due to paper tearing away, (and a 30 caliber is worse than a 6MM) sometime there is not a full arc clearly visible on the paper, so you find whatever remaining arch is available and center the inscribed reticule on it. You are not forgiven, and you cannot ignore a bullet, because the paper tore funny, Even though the entire imprint is not on the paper, if there is evidence of the bullet, by way of partial arc, you must include it in the score.

With regard to Jackie’s targets, there was no “official pronouncement of a Sanctioning Body” as Jackie said in one of his posts. Jackie’s targets went thru what is currently the official measuring procedure and he was given a proper score for his targets. The score was not simply proclaimed by anyone!!! I think that Jackie’s use of an umpire that made a wrong call that cost a pitcher a perfect game as an example of what happened here is backwards. The umpire’s call made during the heat of the moment is much more like the score given to Jackie’s targets by the range during the match, The score given to Jackie’s targets by my measuring committee, where they had a chance to take their time and score the targets without any outside influences is much more like the re-play made later after the field call, and is the correct call.

I will go on to say that I do not feel that the system that we are currently using is broken. The range scores that we get are fair. They may not be accurate in an absolute way, but they are miss-scored for everybody the same amount and therefore, on match day, they are fair.

The measurements made by my committee are accurate and do reflect what Jackie's targets actually are and I will stand by them.

I will also say that what Jackie accomplished last July in Midland is truly amazing and his targets are quite likely the smallest aggregate ever shot with a 30 caliber. But they are not a world record under the current system.

Gene

Great post. I would love to see a YouTube video of the proper way to score a target - identifying the arc, centering the inscribed circle on the arc, the paper between the inscribed line and the smudge, funny paper tears, etc..

Gene I will be the first to admit that my comments on the previous thread may have not been taken well. I did not say a lot but I did question credibility and the politics that may be involved. Can I ever take those back? No. I said what I said. My apolologies to those I may have offended.

I want to thank you for the 2 posts you started into this subject especially this one. You gave a explanation of how the measuring device is used. I will admit I was using it wrong for myself. I have never scored targets at matches but I will most definately look at my targets closer to see what you have explained above.

Thanks for the time you have put into this.

Calvin

I think that the NBRSA calls their records world records because they are the oldest organization involved in benchrest and they started to call their records world records when they were all that there was in benchrest.
I also think that the only two organizations that have an official scoring process for potential records are the NBRSA and the IBS. I think that WBSF simply uses the range score as the record measurement and there is no other measurement done on any of their record targets. I don’t know about the rest of the world but I think that they are just like the WBSF in that there is no official scoring process for records. Please correct me if I’m wrong here???

Hi Gene

The Sporting Shooters Association of Australia Benchrest discipline uses a process very similar to the measurement procedure you have described. After range measurement, the target is submitted for recognition as a record by the state delegate (similar role to the regional director in the NBRSA). The target is scored by three independent, experienced scorers, then the average number they find is recorded as the official result. We refer to these as “national records”. As with the NBRSA, some targets submitted as records are officially measured above the current record and are therefore simply returned to the competitor.

Hi Gene,

The BRSC - (Benchrest Shooters Canada) has a process similar to what you describe. Any potential records are sent to 3 different scorers for evaluation. Our records are referred to as BRSC Canadian Records, not as world records.

Rick

Gene, thanks for your thourough explanation of exactly how targets are scored when they are in the hands of the Record Committee.

I think you will agree that we do need to come up with some type of "standard way" to measure targets. .........jackie

Last edited:
Gentlemen. Thank you.
Thank you for giving back to the Sport.
This is a great learning experience. I have learned a lot.
Jackie. Please take this the right way. I feel your pain.
Gene and Joe. Thank you. For your time. A good read.

Tim
Just a new guy.

GREAT Post!

Gene,
That is an outstanding explanation of the proper way to measure targets!...and certainly represents the "standard way" by which targets are currently measured by both the NBRSA and IBS Records' Committee. Additionally, your comments with respect to the consistency of measurements at a given match being the important ingredient to that particular match, as well as your anology to the respective Records' Committees serving as the "instant replay" of benchrest are spot on! Thanks for your time in putting that together...

Great post Gene
Thanks for the time you and your team put in. I have seen the measuring device and concur that it is probably the best way to go about measuring.

Not wanting to start up another fuss about target materal, but..............I think another type of material or paper should be studied. Don't have a clue as to what that might be. However I got some of my old targets out and measured them with just a set of digital calipers. What I found was a bit troubling to me. Depending on the target material, and there apperared to be at least three different papers, color, etc. I found as much as .020" difference in some holes. And many times the hole was a bit oblong, not like a keyhole, but just not perfectly round. I am going to look at some different materials and papers to see if I can find something that lets a 6mm cut a .243 hole and a 30 cal cut a .308 hole. In otherwords no smear to guess at. I have an idea lurking in the back of my head, but suspect it would be too costly. I will report back when I find what I am looking for if it happens.

Donald

I would think that a computerized scoring program, such as OnTarget, would at least bring consistancy at all levels. It'd score the same way every time without bias or discrepency of interpretation as to how to center the reticle.--Mike

How many potential world record targets are shot in any one year?? I'd guess that it's a very small number when compared with the number of total targets. Are shooters really ready for the added expense that would be necessary to print targets on a different media (paper), purchase sophisticated measuring equipment, mailing targets in hermetically sealed containers, etc?? I doubt it. Most shooters already complain about the high entry fees.

As long as the targets at a tournament are measured consistently, determining the winners vs the first losers is assured. Isn't that what a tournament is all about.?

JMHO

Ray

A few more thoughts on measuring targets and world records.

Gene

Gene,

Great post and you are most likely right about why NBRSA calls it's records world records......now there seem to be a few more countries involved in this sport, and hopefully a few more to come.

For a record at a WBSF event it is measured by 3 other experienced people and the average of the three readings is the record measurement. (I believe)

Because of all the variations in the way people measure groups a records committe is needed to keep the resulting records consistant........this would make it almost impossible to create a list of "actual" world records from the various countries records.

In a small country that has one person that does all the measuring of groups at all the matches held I would say that what he measures as a record would be a record for that country.

But where you have more than one person doing the measuring at matches held in a country, then I believe a records committe needs to be established for the records to actually mean anything.

BTW any chance of getting the NBRSA records committe to measure 'ALL" targets submitted from anywhere in the world and establishing a "World Record" list???

Ian

Last edited:
There just has to be a better target material to shoot into than the stuff we use now. Especially if we are going to be measuring to 0.0001. Seems to me we are accepting the lowest bid for target paper. That is not good. Don't have any answeres just questions.

Donald

There just has to be a better target material to shoot into than the stuff we use now. Especially if we are going to be measuring to 0.0001. Seems to me we are accepting the lowest bid for target paper. That is not good. Don't have any answeres just questions.

Donald

From what I have heard is that the paper produced years ago was of much better quality than that from today's mills. Those old paper mills are long gone and unlikely to return (due to EPA?). I do know the IBS changed target suppliers recently, because they offered a better grade of paper....and cost wasn't a factor. Don't know who NBRSA uses. Where's the formica guy?

Jast a quick question with most precision type gages dont they undertake a calibration process? and if so? who sets the world standard for building the target scoring machines? who (what company?) builds the universal type scoring machine that the NBRSA,IBS use as i would assume that it would be the same company building the whole of North America's scoring rigs (please educate me here as i dont know?) in most companys now days we use standardised operating procedures. yet when asking a few people about is there a standard to wich these (in our case a vernier caliiper fixed to a piece of 7 ply) scoring rigs are made and who sanctioned them? draws an almost instant change of conversation? i looked through my rule book as i am no genius but i believe it says nothing in regards to calibration of sanctioned scoring rigs? or the standard for manufacturing process of these tables? rigs? etc

IBS and NBRSA now share the same paper and printer - Orrville Printing in Orrville, OH. For registered matches IBS clubs may still be able to use old stock which they may have until it is gone. Obviously, for club matches this is not an issue.

Jeff Stover

Gene,

BTW any chance of getting the NBRSA records committe to measure 'ALL" targets submitted from anywhere in the world and establishing a "World Record" list???

Ian

Ian,

I do not answer this to supercede Gene and any answer he may have. I am just answering as a member of the NBRSA and a Regional Director for the NBRSA. If the club is a member of the NBRSA, no matter where in this big blue marble we live on it is, the targets can be submitted for a world record. The key here is that the club is affiliated w/ one or both of the organizations.

David

Thanks a lot for that Gene.
Since I never questioned the integrity of what happens. I will simply reiterate that based on Gene's own statements on the original post....
Since I spent years in the Art business and know the difficulties and qualities of paper in the expansion and contraction issues.... I continue to say that we need a better process of maintaining sending and keeping the target that was shot.
Paper is affected by the environment that it is currently in. As expressed by Gene in the original post and ways to cheat.
Humidity and temperature can drastically effect what paper does just as it does wood.
As an example when we shoot in a very humid or even rainy environment on a registered day that paper has expanded. When it is shipped to someone in Arizona for example to measure and it sits out for a little while it can contract and cause the holes to become bigger as it shrinks. Yes the holes become bigger.
Or smaller if they were shot in Arizona and sent to say Houston in the middle of summer to be measured.
I just think that for a "world record" there should be a more stringent packaging, shipping and measuring process in place. Not that anyone has done anything wrong.

And if you doubt what I say take some of your own targets shot in different humidity and temperature conditions and remeasure them over a period of weeks and see what you find as a variation.

Fact not opinion. Look it up for yourselves.

Back