A Blast From The Past.....This Is Me In 1977

I had a hydroplane that looked a lot like that. I was 15 and it was back in the early 60s. Only difference was mine had a big old 15 HP outboard on it. Now yours looks like real fun.

Bob

Very cool, Jackie. Those SK boats look skitt-erry and fun as heck.

I've always been fascinated by the big blown fuel hydros...scary fun! -Al

Very cool, Jackie. Those SK boats look skitt-erry and fun as heck.

I've always been fascinated by the big blown fuel hydros...scary fun! -Al

Al, that is a Biesmeyer Hull, arguably the finest Circle Boat ever built. They were fast, handled water well, and would turn on a dime. I owned three of them in my career, this was then 3d and final one.

That engine was a destroked 427, (399 inch limit in SK), iron heads, 13 to 1 compression, huge roller cam. We had to run carburetors in SK, those are two 660 Holleys on a Edlebrock TR2X Intake. Probably sitting on about 7000 rpm in that picture.

I agree about the Top Fuel Hydros. I have a real good story about the first time Eddie Hill and Fuzzy showed up at Lake Liberty with his first Blown Fuel Hydro. Until that day, he had never made a pass. Right off the trailer, he went over that magic 200 mph mark. I don’t think he had a clue how dangerous those things were.

i have never gotten over the real thunder boats.
you could hear and feel them from afar......
misson bay just drive by on the freeway
the new power plants lack the feel of power

Eddie is from.........

......my neck-of-the-woods. So was Lloyd Ruby.

Among MANY of his quotes is:

(About drag boats).....Finally, when "we" crashed....and could NOT find out why.......we got out of drag boats.

Of course, Eddie had NHRA to fall back on.

BTW......he drove in a race (SCCA ?) this past week, according to our local news. He's a piece of work.

Kevin

Last edited:
It might be tough to ski behind those things.

I actually pulled a Skier. I just tied the rope to my cavitation plate mounting rod.

His name was Sonny MaHoskey. He was one of the best skiers I ever knew. We raced in outlaw ski races.

He had a huge Murdock Ski that looked like a scaffold board. He was built like Arnold Swartzenegger.

As a demonstration at Lake Liberty, I pulled him through the Quarter Mile at over 105 mph.

......my neck-of-the-woods. So was Lloyd Ruby.

Among MANY of his quotes is:

(About drag boats).....Finally, when "we" crashed....and could NOT find out why.......we got out of drag boats.

Of course, Eddie had NHRA to fall back on.

BTW......he drove in a race (SCCA ?) this past week, according to our local news. He's a piece of work.

Kevin

Kevin, In the olden days "1961-1963" I worked at Wichita Supply Co. and Eddie Hill was a customer. Some lunch breaks I would go to his shop that was behind his trailer house. He was patient and friendly to a 19 yr old.

I just don't seem right the boat not having the addy on the side for Schmidt Marine Machine. I love the part about giving our customers the shaft since 1954.

Ya got that right!!

Kevin, In the olden days "1961-1963" I worked at Wichita Supply Co. and Eddie Hill was a customer. Some lunch breaks I would go to his shop that was behind his trailer house. He was patient and friendly to a 19 yr old.

Butch,

You missed me by about 10 years.

I hit town in '73......as a freshly minted EE, via Okla. State U. I started at Allis Chalmbers.....telling friends and relatives that I test drove the tractors.

Except for short detours to S. Carolina, Ft. Hood, and Dallas.....I've stayed/returned. As for old/long gone businesses......I'm fortunate that I'm now retired......as ALL four of the companies here, that I worked for.....are looooong gone.

Kevin

I went to OSU..except it was in Oregon and all about timber harvest and logging systems. That format disappeared along time ago. We are now paying for it.

Mort

I loved drag racing but never had the balls to do what Jackie did.

Eddie and his crew were good people, Loved to talk to him when they ran top fuel in NHRA. I always pulled for him until he gave it up

Sonny Michalsky

I actually pulled a Skier. I just tied the rope to my cavitation plate mounting rod.

His name was Sonny MaHoskey. He was one of the best skiers I ever knew. We raced in outlaw ski races.

He had a huge Murdock Ski that looked like a scaffold board. He was built like Arnold Swartzenegger.

As a demonstration at Lake Liberty, I pulled him through the Quarter Mile at over 105 mph.

I talked to Sonny this morning and discussed his water skiing. He said he remembered two runs barefoot at 96 and 98 mph. He said he had one run on a ski at 117 mph.

He said there was absolutely no truth the rumor that he skied totally naked on the San Jac river.

I talked to Sonny this morning and discussed his water skiing. He said he remembered two runs barefoot at 96 and 98 mph. He said he had one run on a ski at 117 mph.

He said there was absolutely no truth the rumor that he skied totally naked on the San Jac river.

Sonny came by our Shop a while back, I had not seen him in years.

I swear, he hasn’t changed much at all.

Back