8208XBR - Another data point

Cabrera

By now we are getting quite a bit of data on the new 8208XBR powder, so I wanted to pitch in with my experience this weekend when finally made it to the range in a brief 'heat wave'. If only the winter would let go!

Chambering = 6PPC
Bullet = 68 gr Berger
Powder = IMR 8208XBR
Barrel = Krieger, 1:14" twist
Action = Kelby, model Stolle Teddy

Conditions:
Distance = 200Y
Temp = 38F to 42F
Wind = mild, switchy at times
Almost a foot of snow on the ground.
Mirage = mild to heavy at times
Target = IBS-like (same dimensions)

First did a quick ladder test (1 shot each) of 30.9gr, 31.2gr, 31,5gr, 31.8gr, 32.1gr
Result: Very low vertical across this range. Top end load generated "the click" while opening the bolt. Primer was flattened pretty good, pressure was definetely up there.

Selected center load of 31.5gr as it seemed to be in the center of the bunch. This load was then chrono'd (Shooting Chrony, 6 shots) at 3420 fps average, with an ES of 21fps. Powder line just past half the neck.

A couple of score targets were then shot. With the first target I struggled with conditions almost getting blown over, was lucky with the the 50-2X.

For the next target I decided to use only one condition that was repeating over and over, and oh man, this thing shot a 50-4X, way over my typical, I'd say my best score target ever shot. Maybe a coincidence, but I am exited with this new powder.
The sighter bull was used to explore conditions and click the scope. Then the bottom sighter bull was used (2 center puches) to run the target. That makes 6X's out of 7 shots, I am not that good.

6PPC_8208XBR_50_4Xcopy.jpg

In disbelief, I tried to shake it off with a group, just to prove that it had been a fluke. No way, it put the next five shots in just over a quarter inch, again one of my best group that I can remember. The gun did not want to stop shooting.

200Y%20group%2C%20quarter%20incher%2C%208208XBR%20copy.jpg

My conclusion: Still too early to tell, but powder did not disappoint in my first try.
The problem: I bought only 2 pounds, I was one of the non-believers :-(

George

George, I have a similar set up.
I didn't go above 31.5. And the primers are flat. N133 I could not get enough powder in to get flat primers. Usually shoot 29.2.
I don't have a chrono. I group shoot mostly. Only have a 6" drop tube.

I am very happy with XBR. Shooting 3 shot groups at 100y. Every load had a zero. Hard to determine which load is best. 31.5 had the best Agg.
And clean up is great. Whether it's 40 rounds or 10. Can't tell the difference.
The temps. up here have been 35-40 degrees.
I guess, we need to go to Australia to get warm......

Very nice work, especially in frozen territory.

Must be nice having any of this powder. All the reloading supply dealers are out and have been for the last three weeks.

Bill. That is great. WE need some more info.
I think, I am getting good results...........
I might be wasting those results in testing, too........:eek:

Lot number

Tom,

Lot # 1081309 - 4736
It felt somehow faster -per volume- than N133.

It would be nice to have a thread pinned just to keep track of lot # , relative burn rate, etc at least for a while, while the dust settles.

George

My conclusion: Still too early to tell, but powder did not disappoint in my first try.
The problem: I bought only 2 pounds, I was one of the non-believers :-(

George

Yes......... Wow..! My first try too yielded exceptional results...
Gonna be an interesting year.
Hope Hodgdon/ADI can keep supplies running in the States on a fairly regular basis...:eek:

cale

Why ?

Why would you test a new powder at 200yards and not a hundred first ??
Just asking.

I have had nothing but bad luck with this powder..
If you ask me it performs about like H322 in the cold, not worth a crap..

thats just my 2 cents.
Jim

Back