7mmwsm?

B

bulldog*

hi guys
im trying to decide on a new light bench gun.in my recerch the 7mm vld have one of the best bc of any bullet i have run across (180 gr vld .659)and the wsm seems like a good idea because of the short action . any help is appriciated.
thanks brian

Brian,
I think the 7WSM is a good choice for 1000yd BR but I think the 7mm RSAUM is a better choice.
You basically get the same performance with less powder. Less powder means longer barrel life, less recoil and cheaper to shoot.
I have over 1200 rounds shooting 162 Amax bullets on my 7SAUM LG and it's still going.

James

Brian,

I agree with James somewhat. The 7 WSM is a barrel burner. I know this from experience. The barrel will need to be set back after +/- 500 rounds. I do not know about the 7mm RSAUM.

Danny

Highest BC in the 1K BR game is not critical in the known distance game. Quality bullets are.

Might want to ask Danny about the barrel life on his 300 WSM compared to the 7. 30 cal has a lot of very good bullets and way more barrel life.

BH

I agree...........

right now I would go with a 300 WSM hands down.

What Bounty Hunter was reffering to on the barrel life was the fact that I have shot both cases. I have a HG ( 300 WSM ) that I just rebarreled for the first time. It had over 4500 rounds on the barrel. The barrel was a Hart. I am trying a Spencer this time because I am pleased with the Spencer Barrel on my 300 WSM LG and I want to know if the barrel life was due to the cartridge or the barrel.

The 7mm WSM ( light gun ) burnt up a Lilja and a Spencer barrel. Both with less that 700 rounds. I don't know when the Lilja went out past being able to seat the bullets into the lands, but when I put the Spencer on, it had over 8 inches of throat erosion. At about 450 rounds the Spencer, I had one thread left in the seating die to be able to touch the lands with the bullet. I shot it one more weekend and took the gun back to Spencer and turned into a 300 WSM. The seating depth has hardly changed since break in.

I don't have any experience with the 7mm RSAUM, but I do have 7mm Rem Mag guns, and experience has taught me to expect about 1200 rounds shooting the 180 VLDs at about 2900 fps.

Good luck,
Danny

7mmWSM

hi guys
im trying to decide on a new light bench gun.in my recerch the 7mm vld have one of the best bc of any bullet i have run across (180 gr vld .659)and the wsm seems like a good idea because of the short action . any help is appriciated.
thanks brian

I left 1000 yd BR to shoot long range prone. I wanted a chambering that would be accurate with a high BC. I picked the 284 Shehane based on the 6.5x284 Lapua case. The shoulder stays at 35 degrees but the fire formed brass is .485 at the body/shoulder compared to about .474 of the straight 284.

I can easily run the 180 Berger VLD at 2950 (regular jackets) with single digit ES using H4831SC. That is right there with the short mags without a magnum bolt face, less powder, less recoil, accurate, high BC projectiles, and Lapua brass.

This chambering gave me a 1000 yd NRA slow fire prone Sr. record with iron sights. This was the same weekend that Charles Ballard set the F-Class open record shooting his straight 284 with 180 Bergers -- in 105 degree heat. I have almost 1856 rounds on the barrel and it will still hammer for a State 600 yd prone Championship. It shoots inside of every 300 Win Mag I have shot against.

This is why I don't shoot a Short Mag in 7mm or 30 cal -- and I love the 300 WSM -- but the 284 Shehane just has it all. The 180 Berger in the lot I have runs 6 or less on the Junke and a max of .003 base to ogive. That is right there with most custom bullets -- except for the 187 BIB.

Just my $.02,
Jim Hardy

Last edited:
thanks jim
where should i start looking for a reamer?or i guess a better question is who should i get to build my barrel?
thanks brian

Where are..............

you to get a better idea on a smith recommendation.

284 Shehane

Jim

Am guessing you are using a 6.5 Shehane sizing die with the button swapped out for a 7? Wouldnt mind considering doing one myself just to experiment and have some fun with.

Thanks
Rob

284 Shehane

Rob:

I had 6.5x284 Shehane dies from my BR days and thought I could just switch the bushings, but that will not work. My dies are by Jim Carstensen and are his typical high quality.

On 6mmBR.com, on the 7mm info page, there is a reamer print for Mark King. John Whidden does most of my chamberings and keeps my reamers at his place.

I always thought the 6.5x284 was a little too much of a good thing for a 6.5 chambering, but in 7mm it is just about perfect. I have shot the 284 Shehane for the last two seasons and I can think of nothing that can match up, all things considered, from accuracy to recoil management to high BC bullets, to long barrel life, and Lapua brass.

If I was not shooting this 7mm I would shoot a 300 WSM. Great barrel life and accuracy but not as good if I miss a wind call. In 1000 BR where most make runs of 30 to 60 seconds in heavy gun, I think the 300 WSM is great, but on 20 minute strings in the prone game, the 284 Shehane will give you a target ring of buffer over the 300 WSM and 300 Win Mag and that means higher scores and a better X count. I have seen this time and time again. My problem is that some of the seasoned prone shooters can read the wind like a book. You just cannot believe what shooters like John Whidden, Mid Tompkins, Kent Reeve, Norm Crawford and some of the Palma Team members can do in the wind. I am learning and have my days from time to time.

The reason I bring this up this chambering is that in 1000 BR we never have a real chance to compare wind drifts because we have no feed back from shot to shot. You can have a great run and have crap for a score and/or group. On the other hand, you can do everything wrong and win the relay or shoot off. It is hard to figure it out because the only feed back you get is the finished target.

In long range prone, we get to see the result on each and every shot. We also get to look at other targets on the line through our spoting scopes in an effort to pick up on how conditions are blowing the bullets of our competitors.

Charles Ballard has run tests at 1000 yards with his 284, a 6.5 and a 300. His straight 284 shot inside of each one. The 284 Shehane has about 3.35 grains of H20 capacity over the straight 284 -- and I run about 3 grains more H4831SC than Charles with a corresponding increase in fps with accuracy without pushing the load.

Another point about the 284 chambering is that less taper in the body helps you on a fast run in the BR game and keeps you from having hard bolt lift in the prone game which helps you maintain your position if you keep the gun in your shoulder the entire string. Of course, in F-Class that would mean less bag disturbance just like BR. Additionally, since you are basically expanding the body with less taper, but leaving the shoulder alone, you don't suffer an even shorter sucked in neck after fire forming like you would if you AI the chambering.

The 284 Shehane is nothing but a sweet 100 yard cartridge that even shoots well during fire forming. You might think about trying it out. I hope this information helps you and others just a little in making a chambering decision for 1000 yards.

Favor center,
Jim Hardy

Thanks

Jim

Many thanks for all the info regarding the 284 Shehane. Will certainly keep it in mind the next time I venture into 7mm territory.

Take care
Rob

Back