7mm RSAUM as a 1000yd gun

rooshooter

I,m thinking of building up a 7mm RSAUM (or possibly 7 WSM) strictly for 1000yd BR heavy gun. Who has been using a 7mm RSAUM for 1000yd comps? What velocity are you getting? How low have the velocity spreads been? Any othe rinfo or tips on building a 7mm 1000yd gun? I have a few heavy 7mm barrels laying around, not being used.

I,m thinking of building up a 7mm RSAUM (or possibly 7 WSM) strictly for 1000yd BR heavy gun. Who has been using a 7mm RSAUM for 1000yd comps? What velocity are you getting? How low have the velocity spreads been? Any othe rinfo or tips on building a 7mm 1000yd gun? I have a few heavy 7mm barrels laying around, not being used.

bolo, Steven Ikeda may be able to help, he shoots the RSAUM , he has spoke of great barrel life from it, and has done well with it. I have one based on the .300 wsm case, with the 180Bergers it will reach 2950fps with ease, I have noticed throat wear tho and its only got a couple hundred rounds thru it. Ron Tilley

Like Ron says, you will get some quick throat erosion from a 7 WSM. My advice is to stay away from it. In past discussions on this topic, some have told me that the 7 RSAUM does give better barrel life, but I do not know first hand. The 7mm Rem Mag will give you about 1200 rounds. The 7 WSM only half of that if you are lucky.

Danny

7mm

Overbore 7mms sure seem to eat barrels fast. I have had a 7WSM and a 7mm BooBoo, both shot out quickly. I think if you are wanting to go 7mm that the 280 Ackley or 284 Shehane will give you all the velocity needed with the 175-180 grain bullets and much longer barrel life.

Rob

Why will a 7mm wsm burn up your barrel faster than a 7 mm remington. The rem. shoots more powder and the 7 wsm is more efficient. I thought that was all the rage and reason to buy the wsm over the older cartridges when they came out. I would think that the rsaum would even be better because it shoots less powder than the wsm and just about the same velocity.

As I remember, several years back, there was an article in Precision Shooting by an experienced F-class shooter on the then-new 7mm RSAUM. Previously, he had used (among other things) a .280 Ackley. After initial development, he got the 7mm RSAUM close to the performance -- both accuracy and velocity -- of the .280 AI. Good article. My only thought at the end was, why not continue using the .280 AI?

Roo,
I started shooting a 7mm SAUM last year, I have over 1600 rounds on it now and it is still shooting OK, a Bartlein 5r 9 twist barrel. I am shooting 162gr A-max bullets with H1000 and BR2 primers vel. at around 3120 (30" barrel), I havn't done load development since last summer so the exact figure I don't recall. Extreme spreads were less than 20 fps, last time I did any checking. I also have a Lawton 28" 6 groove, I believe it has less than 600 rounds on it, it will push Berger 180s to 3000, I have not tried Bergers in the Bartlein. Accruacy with the Bergers has been similar to the Hornadys.
Probably should leave this out, the key is using Nosler 300 SAUM brass.

James

jg,

i don't know why the WSM case burns a barrel out faster, I just know that a Lilja and a Spencer barrel, 9 twist, shooting 180s, both barrels did not give me 600 rounds. the Lilja just after 600 rounds had 8 inches of barrel erosion. I was pushing the 180s 2950+/- a few feet and the Spencer at 450 rounds, I had one thread left in my seating die, to touch the bullet into the lands.
It is now a 300 WSM and has plenty of rounds and still shooting good.
It shot great last Labor Day weekend and I hope it does as well this year.

Danny

So it sounds like it is pretty good for up to 2950-3000 fps Max with the 180s is that right?

It did for me, I have heard others having no trouble getting 3000.
I have also heard that some are pushing the 180 Bergers to 2950 with the standard .284 Win case.

James

the 7wsm burns out the throat because the neck is so sort.It will shoot lights out for about 600 rounds then goes to crap,cut the stub and rechamber and go anther 600.I would go with the 7rsum.

The 7SAUM is a good round for your purposes. The neck is longer than the 7WSM and the case capacity is less. It will last longer than thte 7WSM, and gives up little or no velocity to the 7WSM.

Steve Ikeda shoot a 7SAUM in both 1K bechrest and 1K F-Class; he has shot it in several F-Class competitions where I was also shooting. He runs it hot and flat, 2-3 minutes less elevation than I used in my 7WSM.

there is a very good 7mm article on 6mmbr.com that discusses all of the choices mentioned here. Its worth the time to read the article before oyu make a decision.

http://www.6mmbr.com/7mm284.html

JeffVN

How much shorter is the neck on the 7wsm over the 7mm rem. if the rem. is suppose to last longer. Not having my reloading manual with me I thought they were pretty close the same length. Long ago everyone complained that the 300 win. and the 7mm rem. had to short of neck. I still can't understand what all the hipe was if the wsm burns the bbls. faster than the older ones.

sort mags

sort mags ,rsum's and wsm's,are more efficent and more accurate.I shot the smallest group I ever shot at 200yrds with my 7wsm.It was 5 shots with 180gr bergers over a very heathy dose of n165 lit with 210m's.The group measured .067:D:D:eek:.After about 600rnds the thraot went.I had it rechambered and worked up a load with 180jlk's.I repeated this group at 200yrds again .072 .the first 5 shot group fired at 1k after rechambering was 2.5".It was fired by a guy who never shot 1k.We were waiting for the target to come back from the pit when he was trying to work me over on the price of the gun.When the target came back haggling was over.I have had 4 short mags all shot good.Three of them were 1k guns, 1 was a hunting rifle.I won't be buying anything with a belt any more.my next 1k gun will be a7rsum.:D

On my 7 SAUM, I logged in about .020 throat erosion over 550 rounds, I use 180 berger BT's and H4350, the rifle still shoots very well at 1K, the cartridge is easy to make shoot, kind of reminds me of a king size BRX
Gary Eliseo

Rooshooter, I've been shooting the 7 SAUM for a few years now and I still like it. My 28 inch Kreiger with the 175 SMKs does about 2950fps with R25 lit with PMC LRM primers. It can still shoot about .3 at 100 after over 1600 rounds down the tube. Bumping the load slightly for the 30 inch tubes i get 3050 and 3080 fps for my FClass and BR barrels. That's with the Berger 180s. Got a recipe for H4831 and 210Ms to try for cold weather. I get unacceptable verticle with R25 in cold weather, unless I keep my ammo warm and shoot alot of fast sighters. Didn't do too well at the 600yd Nats [It was all my fault]. Hope to to do better in October. I only have 2 matches through that barrel and it showed alot of promise at Reno the first time I brought it out.

Steve,

Jeeze, 3080 fps with a 180gn pill would be going pretty hard wouldnt it? I was only after something to shoot 175s at 2950 fps for 1000yd BR.

Back