7mm rem mag powder suggestions/experience?

R

ravot22

Any recommendations for an accurate powder shooting a 7mm rem mag with a 24" barrel and 160 grain bullets?

I use to use 4831 with 160g bullets with the 7mm RM, seemed to work good. Deer didn't care for it though. Imagine that

Ray

My 7mmRM has a 26" barrel.

I tried IMR7828, H4831,H4350,H1000 and Retumbo.

The Retumbo load performed for me the best using a 162 Amax.

Buck

If you can find any, Vihtavuori 165 works great with that bbl length and 160 grain bullet. H4831 would be my second choice if I didn't have or couldn't find some 165.

Last edited:
I agree with Joe. Try 4350 or 4831 either IMR or H. I'm shooting 61 gr of H4831 with a Nosler 150 gr bullet in a Hart barrel. When the original barrel was in it, I burnt it out shooting 63 gr of IMR 4350 with the same bullet. Shot out my 7 STW barrel on the same rifle using IMR-4350 and a 160 gr Speer GS running 3300 fps.

I like 7828 and h1000.
My Ruger 77 likes these powders too, but does better with the 175 Nosler Partition than the 160g. So I just use that. Works well on boar and even our smallish California blacktails. But if the 160s shot as well (in my gun), I would prefer them for the better trajectory.

Mike - I always wanted one of those 7 STW rifles. I'm not going to get one at this stage but is there any "magic" with that case or was I always dreamin'? Turned out I never bought one but it was always going to be that or a .308 - super single shot hit a dime at 200 every time kind of deal...:)

Benchrest shooting simply took all I had and I'm kinda glad it did...that and my several year run with the golf clubs that didn't pan out at all! You can learn to shoot (I think) but golf is somewhat different. Kinda like shooting pool but on a bigger table....you need something there that I don't have.

Well heck! I did it again...made a mountain out of a mole hill for no reason. No telling how many "paragraphs" I've deleted doing that but I'm gonna post this one.

Wilbur, the 7 STW seems to be a pretty finicky cartridge. What will work with one barrel won't necessarily work with another barrel even when chambered with the same reamer. When I rebarreled it, I went back to 7 Rem Mag as it seems to be a cartridge that is considerably easier to tune. However, for a deer hunting cartridge one of the various 6.5mm cartridges seem to work pretty well. So many of them with about the same case capacity with low recoil, easy to tune and easy to shoot, .260 Rem., 6.5x47, 6.5 Creedmore and a few others. Not a nickels worth of difference between any of those. My last buck was shot with a .260 with a Hart barrel.

H4831 worked fine for me w/ 168 to 175 Sierra Matchkings, and 175 Sierra BT Spitzer.

Any powder in the burning-rate range of IMR4350 at the fastest to IMR7828 at the slowest should work, and you won't know what's best in your particular rifle until you try several. I had the best results―both velocity- and accuracy-wise―with RL22.

Last edited:
Back