7mm-08 Powders

F

fshaw

If you were to pick one powder for the 7-08 for accuracy alone, what would it be? I'm reloading for 2 7-08's, Mine in a Rem. Model 7, my friends is a Savage. The Savage did not love IMR 4350 and Hornady 139 SST's, at least in the load from Ken Water's Pet Loads that we tried. Powder in my area is difficult to come by and pricey. I know all rifles are individuals, but the local retailer for powder quoted me $32 for a pound of H4895. With a daughter in college I need to stack the odds in my favor.

Thanks in advance and happy holidays.

Frank Shaw

OOPS, for 140 Gr hunting bullets

I should have stated above that the goal is to find a very accurate hunting load with 140 Gr bullets.

Info on 6MMBR

You might want to check the 6MMBR forum, they have a specific section on 7MM-08 under the 7MM tab. Specific loads are listed there, along with general preferences and tips.

http://www.6mmbr.com/7mm284.html

Dave

I think I would try the RL-17. It seems to do a lot of good in the 7mm bore.

Imr 4895

Gives good accuracy and velocity in my 20" barrel gun...

7-08 Powder

WW 760 gives me high velocity and good accuracy. It is a bit temp sensitive.

For pure accuracy with decent velocity, I'd go Varget or IMR 4064. Its really a pretty flexible round.

2nd the RE-15. And you may even want to try some 120 grain Sierra's or Nosler BT's. More velocity, less recoil and they work very well on deer.

RL-15 and 140 Barnes TSX bullets work well in my Model Seven. I took four Wisconsin whitetails in November (the maiden vovage for this rifle with this barrel on it). I can't remember what the load was, but it was something like half a grain under the max listed in the newest Barnes manual.

Back