722 Remington Extractor for .222

Super M

I need an extractor for a Rem 722 in 222 Rem. The existing extractor seems to have lost its springyness and will no longer reliably extract cases. They will eventually come out after 2 to 4 trys but this is exasperating. The extractor is intact although the extractor tooth may be a little worn but I don't have anything to compare to.

What are my options?

Nobody seems to have one. Numrich or the sources listed in the Rem web page.

I've read the many posts on the safety implications of the Sako mod. Brownell's and Tubb's still sell them but does anyone still install them?

I've also seen pictures of an AR-15 style installation. Does it work? From a safety point of view is it better or worse than a Sako?

I really don't want to replace the bolt both from an expense point of view and I like the look of the 722 bolt.

Sorry about all the questions. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

try spearfish gunsmithing(605)642-3385,a good guy dennis martin,think that info is still correct,
if that fails call howard dietz(830)885-4662,he may have one if you can talk him into mailing it.
they are going for around $25 a guy in new mexico lists some on occasion on gunbroker,but nothing there now,i have one i'll give you but looks like the lip is missing a small bit,but don't have one to compare??

I'd suggest not using a sako style extractor with a .222 sized bolt head. Just about every sako style extractor that I've heard of blowing out of a Remington has been with a .222/.223 sized bolt face. It's too easy to blow a primer on a small case as they seem to be easier to get pressure spikes when a reloader makes a mistake. When a primer blows with a sako extractor and the small case head blows out the extractor slot more than likely the extractor is leaving the action and it's doing it with a lot of pressure and a lot of force. I won't install sako style extractors in small bolt faces. The AR-15 extractor would be safer than the sako extractor as it's held in with a cross pin. It would have to shear the cross pin for the extractor to be blown out of the action.

Try Greg Tannel at Gre-Tan Rifles...he had one for my 722 .473 bolt face...a while back...and he may have one for a small bolt face...

Good Luck....

they are a bit hard to install without any tools,as they are so small,helps to remove the ejector,don't let the spring and ejector come flying out

I don't think I'd try it with the ejector in place. Is there a special tool to install/remove the extractor? I'm mostly worried about damaging the extractor during installation by overbending.

Back