700 vs 40X

tenring

Most understand the reputation of the Remington 40X custom shop rifles. If starting from scratch to build a full tricked out BR rifle, is it correct that the same amount of labor must be expended on both actions, i.e. 700 and 40X? Is there any advantage to starting with a 40X?

From what I understand of the 40X is that they are "supposed" to be the straighter of the two.
Also, the 40X does not have a the magazine cutout in the bottom of the action which would lend itself to greater rigidity.
Both the 40X and the 700 would likely need trueing.
By the time you get either one of the above trued and lapped you are most of the way there to buying a custom action.
If you truly want a fully tricked out BR rifle I suggest you get a custom action. There are dozens to choose from.

Custom vs. factory

From what I understand of the 40X is that they are "supposed" to be the straighter of the two.
Also, the 40X does not have a the magazine cutout in the bottom of the action which would lend itself to greater rigidity.
Both the 40X and the 700 would likely need trueing.
By the time you get either one of the above trued and lapped you are most of the way there to buying a custom action.
If you truly want a fully tricked out BR rifle I suggest you get a custom action. There are dozens to choose from.

Everything you have said is true. I chose to go the factory action, blueprint route for the following reasons:
1) It allowed me to go incrementally, as my budget allowed.
2) I learned in between steps and studied the different enhancements and how each contributed to the accuracy process.

The next rifle I build will be with a custom action for all the reasons you mentioned. I've learned as I went along with factory actions and can, in my mind, justify the expense of a custom action. When I add up all the enhancements I performed on a factory action, the price is equal to that of a custom action.
Chino69

40XB Repeaters

There are a lot of 40XBs that are repeaters, in addition to the single shots.

Most understand the reputation of the Remington 40X custom shop rifles. If starting from scratch to build a full tricked out BR rifle, is it correct that the same amount of labor must be expended on both actions, i.e. 700 and 40X? Is there any advantage to starting with a 40X?

The only difference between a 40X and a 700 is the lack of a magazine cutout, unless the 40X is a repeater. Then they are the SAME. IMHO, it would be silly to opt for any factory action for a BR rifle if you plan on paying a gunsmith to true the action. A custom action would put you miles ahead.

700 vs 40x

why do you say a 40x need to be trued? The early ones were built in the custom shop {not the assembly line}

The Custom Shop?!!

Please! Or good grief!

The same actions and the same barrels are use buy the Custom Shop as all other 700's

The only difference is the FINISH.

THe Custom Shop does not true actions, the Custom Shop does not cut chambers etc.!!!!

The single shot 40X does have a stiffer action.

Mr Walker has not been part of this operation for many many years..........................

The average 40X is no straighter than the average 700...the magazine cutout is the only difference. I say this from the position of having trued a number of both of them.

We always hear that the tuned factory action is nearly the same $ in the end as a custom. We also always hear the "a little at a time" reasoning for starting with a factory action and building on it. The real biggie, that we hardly ever hear is: The difference in value will become painfully evident when you decide to sell the factory-actioned rifle.

-Dave-:)

Ten Ring

Many of us have checked, and trued, 700's and 40x's. There is absolutly no difference in the truness of either as they come from the Factory. Both, are, by BR standards, equally bad.
The only difference that I have ever been able to see between a 40x and any other 700 based action is the 40x has a solid bottom.
There is a considerable following in the shooting community for the 40x. But it is based on nostalgia more than fact. There was a time when the 40x might have been a cut above, and warranted that extra cash outlay, but those days have been gone for decades.........jackie

Last edited:
Equally bad by BR standards?

Am I to believe the trued 40XBR action (which has runout comparable to most custom actions) with Dave Kiff bolt on my new 1000 yard gun is a waste of time and money?

Rich in Ca.

Tell us how it shoots

Am I to believe the trued 40XBR action (which has runout comparable to most custom actions) with Dave Kiff bolt on my new 1000 yard gun is a waste of time and money?

Rich in Ca.

Shoot well
Peter

I'll be able to do that as soon as my BIB'S arrive Peter.
Will keep you posted.

Rich in Ca.

Rich in Ca.

I don't think anyone said that here. What was said is that a 700 and a 40X as they come from Remington are the SAME. Remington trues NO actions, and they don't start off true. I built a BR rifle on a 700 action this winter, it has ZERO runout and shoots as well as any custom actioned rifle I own. But I wouldn't recommend that someone pay a gunsmith the money that it takes to properly set up a Remington for BR competition when there are so many great custom actions ready to go...for just a little bit more money.

I advise my customers to go with a custom action if; A) they intend to one day seriously shoot competitively at registered matches or B) they don’t own a Remington 700, 40X or XP 100 action already and want to have the best set up they can have. I further explain to my customers that it is cost effective to true up a Remington if they already own it and the cost of the work won’t be reflected it the price they could get for the rifle when they sell it. With all of that said I still get brand new Remington’s (generally ADL Synthetics) in the shop as the foundations for custom rifles. It used to be that the take off parts could be sold on eBay to recover some of the original cost but not so much anymore with the new eBay rules. The truth be told most folks could not see the performance difference between a custom action and the trued Remington because they don’t have the accouterments (wind flags, proper rest and bags, high quality bullets etc.) to wring out the last bit of potential from their rifle. There is pride in ownership, when the gear is put away and the hyperbole starts it’s the specs and list of custom modifications that rule. A trued Remington 700 with a quality match grade barrel pillar bedded in a quality stock with a good trigger all done by a competently skilled Gunsmith using accepted practices and procedures in more rifle than most people can use.

Nic.

"Both are by BR standards equally bad"????
What are these "BR standards"?
I have to believe in all honesty that Mr. Beginski has crafted a very competitive rifle on this non custom action.

Rich in Ca.

Rich

I appologize, I tend to look at things from one perspective, how an entire combination performs in the 100-200 yard Competitive Arena. In my opinion, a trued Factory Action is simply not part of that combination in 2008. Maybe 1988, but not 2008.
I am sure you will be satisfyed with your new 1000 yard Rifle. Since I do not shoot Long Range, I do not feel qualifyied to answer as to how the equipment list has evolved in that Discipline.......jackie

Rich in Ca.
Listen to what is said! The 40X and 700 from the factory are not up to BR specs! A trued one in a solid bottom could be as good! The value when being sold is very little more than a stock receiver. Rick is a very good gunsmith! Nobody said your receiver was a POS.
Butch

Jackie

Your apology is accepted, but certainly not necessary. My concerns and question was an honest one...not meant to stir the pot. In my inexperienced mind, one should be encouraged to do the best he or she can with what one has to work with. I believe encouragement rather than you need a custom action is the way to garner respect and growth in this sport.

Butch, I did read the thread. I really don't care about the value of the gun at a later date. I want to be able to get out there, compete, learn and meet new and helpful friends. If resale value were a big concern, I sure wouldn't be driving American made vehicles...but I do. I have had point blank guns built on custom actions and did not find accuracy enhanced due to the action being custom. Without question they can be shot much more quickly. If and when I am able to have another long range gun built on a custom action, there is no question in my mind i'll shoot better. But for now, I have what I have.

Rich in Ca.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike Walker is a friend of mine. About 10 years ago he built himself a new BR rifle and used a new Stolle action, purchased on my FFL, and put a Hart barrel on it.

He loves but recognises the limits of his old rifles and the company making them so ....

Not obsolete yet.

As have many others.
Does anyone recall which manfactures action Ed Watson was using when he shot the tiny record in 1985 which stands as the smallest today?

Back