Hey Guys-
I was toying with the idea of the 7.62 x39 (30 russian short)in a "match"
rifle with a good barrel:confused:
Has anyone heard of the accuracy potential of this round out to lets
say 300 yards. I know that the 7.62 x 39 russian is a cousin to the
220 russian and the 6mm PPC:D I think velocity can be upped in a
20 inch to 24 inch barrel. Many writers have said this round has the
power of 10% less than the 30-30 round which has been used in
"hunter" class benchrest. Of course I will be reloading for this project.
Thanks
John

The 30PPC is similar to this round, and is extremely accurate in a match grade bolt gun. Do some searching in the centerfire area and you'll find much.

While not a bolt action, I have an H&R Handi rifle chambered for the 7.62 x 39 and it is one of the most accurate barrels I have.(3/4-1"@100 yrds.) I bet in a bolt action with a quality barrel it would be very accurate. Just food for thought, make the barrel a .308" groove. My rifle has a .310" groove and the most accurate bullet is the Nosler 125 gr. bal. tip.( deadly on deer also)

The little AK/SKS round is simply one of the most accurate offerings on the planet. No downside, it's a great round. Well, there's one downside, it's a bastard step-child for size because it has to shoot in its own class called "Varmint for Score" since it can't qualify as a Hunter Bench Rest round..........but in that regard it's no more out of place than the silly 30BR.

I'm disappointed by the whole 30BR type hype...........I think that they should be left as nothing but a fun toy cartridge and the score game be Hunter Class Bench Rest with all of its challenges.

These useless little rounds like 30BR and 30PPC are taking away from a wonderful sport.

But they do steenkin' SHOOT :D:D:D

al

do you think there is enough velocity to reach out to 300 yard
targets ??
john

to 300 yards

I used to be able to hit a 24' diameter steel plate with an SKS out to about 400 yards with iron sights. So, yes, out of a bolt gun with a longer barrel, 300 and beyond.

I can't see any problem with accurately reaching out to 600yds with the 7.62X39, velocity should be up in the 2600-2800 range. In fact if you'll build a GOOD rifle and use GOOD brass like blown out .220Russ Lapua you will find 3000fps with 110-125gr bullets.

This makes a very accurate 600yd rifle.

Not a deer rifle but a varmint or target rifle.

al

The little AK/SKS round is simply one of the most accurate offerings on the planet. No downside, it's a great round. Well, there's one downside, it's a bastard step-child for size because it has to shoot in its own class called "Varmint for Score" since it can't qualify as a Hunter Bench Rest round..........but in that regard it's no more out of place than the silly 30BR.

I'm disappointed by the whole 30BR type hype...........I think that they should be left as nothing but a fun toy cartridge and the score game be Hunter Class Bench Rest with all of its challenges.

These useless little rounds like 30BR and 30PPC are taking away from a wonderful sport.

But they do steenkin' SHOOT :D:D:D

al
I'm a bit confused - please explain how anything is taking away from the sport.

What he is saying is that he does not have one and is probably getting beat with one.

I run into this a lot in shooting F-Class. "Real men shoot with slings and iron sights".

John
the ability of a 7.62 x 39 rifle to shoot will be determined by the quality of the of the Bullets and the Barrel.
If you use crappy bullets and a crappy barrel then it won't shoot well at 100 yards much less 300 yards.
But if you use good components then it will shoot well out to the limits that its trajectory permits.

Remember that real 7.62 x 39 shoots .311 bullets. Not .308. But you may want to have your target rifle set up for .308 bullets since it will be much easier to find great bullets in that diameter.

Ted

Travelor, I played with the super-short 30's 15yrs ago :( before it even became a thing. I ordered an 18twist Krieger back in '94...........

AvanGorder,

My point is simply that for lo these many years there've been two main games to be had, Group and Score with score being defined as HBR and having a specific set of rules and a long and storied history.

"Varmint for Score" has been almost like the Factory Class of BR. Now we've got all sorts of folks going over to Varmint for Score using the little thirties and HBR is dying. HBR is an honorable sport. Varmint for Score is also a neat sport but more of a fun-thing IMO.

And yes, there's some truth to Travelor's "real men" quote.........I really don't want to see HBR die off. Now regarding the wooden clubs with cows attached, "Only Accurate Rifles Are Fun" and those don't qualify! :D:D

Well, and YES I DID just get in two brand new HBR barrels.........and no clubs to shoot at all of sudden :( ....... but these take no backseat to the 30BR neither.......

LOL

al

A good chambering job is about as important as everything else...if you want one built, have a reamer built to spec.

alinwa-I have used the 7.62x39 round for hunting deer for some time now and at reasonable ranges it works real well. I mostly use my AK with a 5round clip when I am hunting in tight brush. Both AK variants that I have owned have laso been very accurate.

...Well, there's one downside, it's a bastard step-child for size because it has to shoot in its own class called "Varmint for Score" since it can't qualify as a Hunter Bench Rest round...
Why can't it be used in Group or Varmint Hunter?

....but in that regard it's no more out of place than the silly 30BR.
The last I knew, the 30BR totally dominated VFS.

...I'm disappointed by the whole 30BR type hype...........I think that they should be left as nothing but a fun toy cartridge...
I guess someone forgot to tell Hal Drake about this when he "cleaned house" with his 30BR at the Hog Roast. He also shot his 30PPC at the match.
I know that Hal has a number of 6PPCs, but what did he choose to use at that Group Match - His 30s (or should I say "Toys"?)!

Adrian

But, Al . . . .

Travelor, I played with the super-short 30's 15yrs ago :( before it even became a thing. I ordered an 18twist Krieger back in '94...........

AvanGorder,

My point is simply that for lo these many years there've been two main games to be had, Group and Score with score being defined as HBR and having a specific set of rules and a long and storied history.

"Varmint for Score" has been almost like the Factory Class of BR. Now we've got all sorts of folks going over to Varmint for Score using the little thirties and HBR is dying. HBR is an honorable sport. Varmint for Score is also a neat sport but more of a fun-thing IMO.

And yes, there's some truth to Travelor's "real men" quote.........I really don't want to see HBR die off. Now regarding the wooden clubs with cows attached, "Only Accurate Rifles Are Fun" and those don't qualify! :D:D

Well, and YES I DID just get in two brand new HBR barrels.........and no clubs to shoot at all of sudden :( ....... but these take no backseat to the 30BR neither.......

LOL

al

You are displaying NBRSA 'mentality' here - in the IBS, VfS has a LONG tradition - just because one of the sanctioning bodies (NBRSA) does not offer VfS, how does that distinguish HBR as "honorable" as compared to VfS simply being a "fun thing"???:eek:

My BR roots lie in Hunter Rifle Competition, which remains my preference, but lets face reality, HBR is about to croak - it's on life support - and in both organizations. Attendance at the 2007 NBRSA Hunter Nationals was, at best, 70 souls . . .:( I believe that KEY element in the rapid demise of HBR is the collapse of the TcLs - especially the lack of the TcL reports in PS, which, I believe, does/did not stem from Dave Brennan.

Here in Iowa, running IBS Registered VfS events has not only SAVED the Hunter Class, but directly contributed to attendance GROWTH in all diciplines - quite contrary to the popular myth that VfS, "will destroy HBR", or, also, as I heard, when I opted to implement the IBS formats back in 1999, VfS IS going to, "destroy group shooting"! According to fanatics on both fronts (HBR/GrouP), my intent was to undermine and DESTROY their game . . now, I just sit back and GLOAT! :p:eek:

Since we began shooting VfS - and especially, since we began offering the TWO GUN (the combined GRAND AGGREGATES of a 6X rifle and a VfS rig), our attendance at ALL diciplines of BR has INCREASED each season! :eek:;) Additional opportunities don't kill classes, people kill classes!:p RG

John, Adrain and Tylerw02 provided good info . . .

Hey Guys-
I was toying with the idea of the 7.62 x39 (30 russian short)in a "match"
rifle with a good barrel:confused:
Has anyone heard of the accuracy potential of this round out to lets
say 300 yards. I know that the 7.62 x 39 russian is a cousin to the
220 russian and the 6mm PPC:D I think velocity can be upped in a
20 inch to 24 inch barrel. Many writers have said this round has the
power of 10% less than the 30-30 round which has been used in
"hunter" class benchrest. Of course I will be reloading for this project.
Thanks
John

A 7.62x39 is simply an "un-improved" 30 PPC!:eek::D There is no reason one should not provide excellent precision! Actually, based upon the 7.62x39 case, the Russians developed the 220 Russian for "Running Boar" competition. Then, the 22/6 PPCs were 'wild-catted' from the 220 Russian, then, people began making 30PPCs - or, 7.62x39 Imporved!;) So, what goes around, comes around!:) RG

I have a 270x39IMP reamer and have built one rifle with it. It is an excellent deer rifle for a young person. Use 110-130grn. bullets and it is very accurate.
The 7.62x39Imp. would be a great round.
Butch

Hey, I'm whining :)

I'm sad to see HBR going down................as are you, quote >>>>> "My BR roots lie in Hunter Rifle Competition, which remains my preference, but lets face reality, HBR is about to croak" <<<<<< unquote. I had high hopes that the 6.5X47 case would revive it because it's the ultimate HBR case.......hopes.....

THAT's all's I'm saying ;) It's no mystery that the short 30's shoot well.

LOL

al

h-bar,

My post was referring to "reaching 600 yds". AIN'T a 600yd deer rifle IMO.

AVanGorder,

He can.

It does.

I guess so.

Well
I would be sorry to see Hunter BR go away as well.
But it seems that so many guys get a lot more satisfaction from shooting a 250 10x using the VFS rigs than they do shooting a 249 6x with an HBR rig.

The way VFS is going there will need to be a change in the rules. Even now it is an X contest. Eventually we will have matches where more than 1 guy shoots a 500 50x. Then were do we go?

I really think that 3 things are attracting the HBR shooters to the VFS class.
1. High power scope allows older eyes to remain competetive.
2. Love afair with the 250 score.
Even if you loose you can say you shot a 250.
3. HBR is a tougher game. It will be a long time before an HBR rifle shoots a 500 50x

Very few around Austin shoot VFS. I only shoot it because the Austin Rifle Club has a score match monthly and I can shoot the 257TED as a VFS against myself or the 1 or 2 guys that show up.
But there is no doubt that when I do out score the HBR guys it is because of the advantage of the 36 power scope. Not because of any super cartridge that I shoot.
I think that if the 30x47 and other HBR cartridges could shoot against the VFS guns using the same power scopes that they would do just as well.
Ted

Back