7 / 300 Norma Magnum

Russ Hardy

I just ordered a reamer for the 7/300 Norma Magnum. I will be shooting the 180 Bergers and eventually the 195 Berger Hybrid. Is anyone else out there using this chambering for 1000 Yd competition. I'm hoping to get some idea of what powder is working. I have a 7 Lapua and Retumbo seemed to give me the best velocity (Long Range hunting rifle), but i don't shoot 1000 yd br so I'm not really doing the right things to see what gives the best accuracy in the big overbore 7mm's. I was also wondering if I could get away with a 28 inch barrel or if I need to get out to around 32 inches?

I have a similar cartridge (7xr) long neck 7/300 Norma Mag. I have had excellent results with Fed 215M primers, 180 JLK's & Retumbo. While your rifle is going to be different start low & work up. I stopped at 86.5grs. of Retumbo not because of pressure but because it was scary accurate.

That Berger will go roughly 3,200-3,300 depending upon the length of your barrel.

Jeffvn

I will have a 7-300 Practical reamer coming next week, which is a 300 win mag necked down and shoulder angle slightly sharper. I ordered this for a hunting rifle I am building but depending on results in that rifle I might give it a try in a BR rifle. Supposedly will get 3170 with a 180.
There is quite a bit on talk on Longrange Hunting about various big 30's necked down to 7
Mike

Back