6mmbrx

skeetlee

OK i have the stuff to build my heavy 600 yard rifle. well almost. The action will be here on Monday. Anyway i thought about doing a 7mm but several experienced fellas here suggest i stick with the BR or variants. I have a dasher already so i am thinking about the BRX. The fella thats doing my chamber has a reamer but he suggests that i go with a custom die. Not sure i can afford that at this time. I was under the impression that i could use my redding type s 6BR dies. Is this not a good idea? I could probably come up with the cash for the custom die if needed. If i dont go with the BRX a good friend of mine has a dasher reamer for a .266 neck. I may go this way. Also real quick fellas. whats the opinion on the redding seat dies (standard) If i go with the .266 dasher i will have to upgrade my dasher FL size die to a redding bushing die. Sinclair has a few in stock but they are a set. I really like my forster seat die and wasnt wanting to have to buy another unless i would decide to go with a wilson. Sorry for all the questions fellas. I just cant stop thinking about the coming season!! Lee

You can buy a 308 body die redding makes them there around $25 size your body with it and raise your 6br die up in the press and bump your shoulders and size your necks. It will work fine

6mmBRX

My suggestion is as follows:

Redding FL 6mmBR S type bushing die backed out .098".

Get a 6mm tapered expander.

Redding 6mmBR Competition Seater (Micrometer typs) also backed out .098"

Get a 6mmBR body die take a carbide boring bar and remove the inside top of the body die. This will make a die for just sizing the body and web area of the case. As stated this can also be acomplished by removing the decapping assembly in a .243, .260, .7mm08 or .308 die.

Some folks get their 6mmBR dies adjusted then make two .098" spacers to go under the dies.

Good Luck

Nat Lambeth

the dasher is probably the better choice for me as i do really need a better die other than the forster i am using. I just wanted something a little different. My other dasher is on my mcmillan f-class stock and it isnt the best stock for bench work. I do love that little dasher though!! Lee

Lee,

I have the 6BRX. I would not turn my hand over for the difference in the Dasher. But if you want a 6BRX. I size mine with a 7mm 08 FL die for the base, then size the shoulder with a br body die, neck with a wilson neck die. I had all this, a 6BR "S" would be what you want. I had a custom die made for my second barrel, cost $200.00 the others worked just as well. I would do a 0.272 neck for what every you build, most guys are shooting no turn necks.

Mark Schronce

Mark
I appreciate the advice sir. I was thinking that the 266 chamber made good since, but what do i know. Besides the extra step of turning the brass, the .266 would insure nice even neck tension and roundness, correct? I dont have the tools to turn my own brass yet, but i will have them before very long. I like to prep brass, its kinda like therapy for me. LOL!!! I really dont mind it! I wouldnt ever want to go any less than .266 as the necks get to thin and my clumsy butt ends up dinging the necks all up. A .272 would be a lot easier however, and Lapua brass seems to be pretty much spot on from my experience. Im not sure what i will do yet. I still have a couple weeks to decide. thanks again mark! Lee

Lee.

I have one barrel left that is a tight neck 0.269", a 6BR and it is going to be punched to a 6BRX 0.272" If you like to prep brass, go for it, it should help,. But, look at the 600 yds results. Most of the top guys are shooting no turn necks 0.272 in all the 6BR and IMP. I have shot 3 IBS 600yd records with a 0.272 necks, one being small LG group in 2007' 0.749" it was taking by a 6BRX 0.272" neck also 0.711" Look at guys like Richard Schatz, Rodney Wagner, Rodney son got my record, Mike Davis,and alot of others. I an do sure it Sam Hall is shooting one now or not.

I think anything you can do that " you think will help--will help". I always ran may record round over a runout gage and put the lowest as my record and highest as my sighter all were sub 0.002". I thought it help and would not shoot a match without going it.

I hate to turn necks, so if I don't have to, I don't.

Mark Schronce

Since ya'll are on the subject. As Mark said, the Dasher and BRX are about identicle. One is as accurate as the other, same goes for the BR. Of course, you can get a little more FPS at lower pressure with the improves. I believe anything on the BR case is going to accurate. If you find one form of the BR to be more accurate than another, it's the barrel that's more accurate, not the fact it is a BR,BRX, Dasher, or BR-DX. I have tried them all now. I actually like the looks of the BR-DX case with it's long neck. I had a couple of BR barrels I could not get to shoot, so I had Doug Paschal to punch out to BR-DX. Guess what, they shoot about the same as they did in BR.
As far as no turn neck. A couple of years ago you could not tell me a no turn BR or improved BRX would shoot with a turned neck at 600 yards. I was relying on theory and practicality (field experience). I have been shooting a no turn 6BRX over the winter at 600 yards here at the house. I started shooting "trued up" or "cleaned up" necks. Neck turning off the high spots. I will probably have to eat my words, but this as an accurate of a barrel as I have ever shot. In the early mornings in pristine conditions, this barrel has not shot over 1.7 inches. I had some of Mark Shronce's unturned brass I bought from him a couple of years ago. It was not even fireformed in this barrel yet. Anyway, I shot this unturned brass against my turned brass on a perfect morning. The result was as identical as it can get. Four groups, averaged 1.46 inches. The 2 groups with the unturned brass were about as identical to the trued up brass as you can get. It was less than 20 thou. difference between the two- in favor of the unturned.
Several records have been shot with the unturned brass in BRX and Dasher. Greg Culpepper has a no turn BR that kicks butt also. Pick what ever you like. You can't go wrong with the BR case.
Samuel Hall

Just to give a different thought, you might give Jim Carstensen a call and ask him how much he'd charge you to make a custom die. I'm really thinking it'll be within $50 of what you're going to spend having two different dies.

Greg J.

Back