6mmBR using lapua brass what neck size and any other tips using 105 VLD Bergers ?

L

londonhunter

Hi I am about to order a barrel for a single shot hunting rifle
My smith is base in Austria but himself a bench shooter
He is offering me too many choices
I plan to use this for 300m mountain hunting.
105 grain projectile (likely Berger VLD)
1 in 8 twist
Without going to the expense of tight necks or Dasher
which neck size has to least tolorence with the latest lapua brass ?
People that I have asked here in UK tend to gravitate towards a 272 neck is the concenses with you folks over the pond ?
Any other tips or advice you want to share witht the above parameters ?

I have just measureed my new batch of Lapua brass loaded with 6mm VLD hunt and it measures 0.269" - I am happy to purchase more of the saem batch to ensure consistency
Does that mean I should order a 269 chamber to have the least tolerence in the chamber ?
Thank you in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
I would go .272 neck, sometimes the .271 could be a little tight on certain lots of Lapua brass.

Maybe Mike Bryant will chime in, I know he has a reamer with a .271 neck (or maybe he usue a .271 neck reamer after chambering with a tight neck chamber reamer)

Guys, the new Lapua is about .001 thinner on the neck wall thickness. I have a good friend who has a 30BR with a .332 neck, and the older brass cleaned up when neck turning, the new stuff is leaving a shadow on every case. It cleans up fine for use in a .330.

Probably no big deal in a no neck turn 6BR, but keep in mind, that Berger 105 VLD does not even measure a full .243 any where on it. If you use the latest brass, and a .272 neck, your loaded rounds will have right at .004 clearance.......jackie

6mmBR reamer neck sizes

I have a .271 and a .272. Both are considers to be no neck turn. You will need to size the necks down to .266. I have found the .271 with no neck turning tends to throw fliers as the brass ages and is reloafed several times. I also have .268 and .269 reamers and they require neck turning.
Nat Lambeth

Jackie,

Don't know if it's true but I heard that the newest brass is not going to be the norm, and that it will go back to the original specs as far as the neck thickness??

^
[quote="Kevin Thomas, Lapua USA]
No, it's a "forever" thing. The difference between the larger stuff put out previously and what's coming out now, is less than .001", and this is where it will have to stay. The problem is one of CIP compliance, and loaded rounds that have to pass their neck gage standard. Some of our previous runs of cases were produced on the top end of the tolerance spectrum, with the inevitable result that some fell outside the gage standards. To bring these back in line, we tightened production tolerances-tightened, not changed-to what we're running now.[/quote]

Guys, it is a little off the 6BR post, but if you have a 30BR in your future, I would strongly opt for the .330 neck. There are quite a few .332 neck chambers out there, and as I said before, some are leaving a shadow with the new brass when turned for an average .002 clearance for the loaded round.......jackie

Back