6mmBR brass question

Big Dave

Due to health problems (broken back) I had to stop shooting for close to 15 years. Although I was able to keep most of my guns, I lost all of my reloading components and equipment in a nasty divorce. Enough background! I have two 6BR rifles and one 22BR rifle. I bought some 6BR Lapua Norma cases, I ran 50 through a full lenght 22BR sizer, then trimed to length, none will chamber in my gun! I checked and cleaned the chamber, still no go. I full length resized some in a 6BR die, checked O A L, all was OK, none of the will chamber in either gun. The 6's have Douglas and/or Hart barrels the 2 has a Shaw, all of these guns worked fine when I last shot them. Even if there is a difference in the 6BR Norma brass, shouldn't they chamber after being full length resized?

Thanks for any and all help.

If they were chambered with a reamer for remington brass they are too small in the web area for the lapua brass, About .004 difference best I remember

If they were chambered with a reamer for remington brass they are too small in the web area for the lapua brass, About .004 difference best I remember
I am not sure it is .004" but Steve is spot on otherwise. Original BR chamber has shorter neck as well, but you have apparently already trimmed overall length. A small base die might help but probably not enough. I suspect you need old brass or new chamber(s).
Dick

Big Dave,

Do you know exactly what you max trim to length is for your chamber. I ran into the same problem. The Remington 6 br trim length is 40ths. shorter than the 6br Norma. My chamber as I found out was done with a 6BR Remington reamer. I was told by the gunsmith that the max trim to length was 1.560ths. when it is actually 1.520ths. Hope this helps.

John

Cut the neck plumb off a FL sized case and try to chamber it. Might save you from doing some other things and will give you something to do until the cerrosafe arrives.

Steve and Dick likely gave the right answer....

Back