6mm super lr

am thinking of building a 17 lb class for 1000 yd shooting,my ? is if i use a 1 in 8 twist barrel for the bigger 6 mm bullets ,that is 108 grain or 115 grain can i shoot the 80 through 90 grain bullets in same barrel to use on groundhogs?what loads would you use with these lighter bullets also?
the barrel i want to use would be about 29 in in length.
gary b

First of all, what IS a 6mm super lr (I get the long range)? What 6mm are you "supering". I used to shoot a 6.5 x .284 Super which was basically a 6.5 x .284 Ackley with the shoulder moved forward about .010". Generally speaking, a 1 - 8 twist barrel will do fine with your groundhog bullets with most any of the 6mm's.
Rich De

6 mm super sl is a 243 winchster with a 30 degree shoulder and a longer neck.it was the brainn child of robert whitley i think.it is slightly bigger then the 6 xc of dave tubb.there is a write up on it in the march 2010 issure of precision shooting also look at www.6mmar .com and select super lr web page button or call 215-348-8789.
gary b

Gary,

I don't think the cartridge has gotten much attention... yet. It looks interesting to me, when/if I get around to something like that. But I think you're going to be best off talking directly w/ Mr. Whitley for load data at this point.

If you look at the reamer prints, it appears he has a shorter throated reamer for mag length and/or lighter weight varmint bullets. It doesn't say that they *won't* work in the longer throated version, but I'm guessing they may be either seated waaaaay out there or jumpin' a bit...

Monte

I did a "6mm Shankle" (which I would not be surprised if 50 guys did it before me) 20 years ago that is close to the same. I have three versions where I played with neck tension and thickness. It is the 243 Win with a 30 degree shoulder but I moved the shoulder forward in lieu of the longer neck. Gave up more neck for more speed. Changed the taper a bit too. I settled on a no neck turn version that I shoot at Perry and in Tactical/Practical matches. It works in my bolt guns as well as my auto. I love it and have tons of data for the heavier bullets. Easy to form, easy to load, great to shoot.

I am glad to share my prints and load data (and my many failures) if it helps.

Sounds like the 240 Page from more than 60 years ago. Page developed it as a varmint cartridge and there is loading data in many of the old books. Of course, it's also ballistically identical to any number of wildcats that have been "invented" since then, all claiming to be new, so there is no shortage of loading data. Anything with the same or similar case capacity will work, including the 243 Winchester. If you don't believe me, do some comparisons of capacity.

JMHO

Ray

It IS based on the .243............

but it has the shoulder pushed back for a longer neck, reduced capacity, and somewhat higher pressures.

The .240 Page Sooper Pooper used the .244/6MM Remington case.

Brian

Not the Super Pooper, the original 240 Page which used the pre-NATO Cal .30 Light Rifle case.

I think you'll find that all of the 6mm/243 wildcats have about the same capacity. You can vary the capacity as much by changing brands of brass as you can by changing the shoulder or neck. There is not much new to invent when it comes to this class of cartridges. Whether its the 6mm BG, 6mm Super LR, 6mm LNI, 6mm Super BR, 6mm Super-X, 6 CM, 6-308, 308-6mm. 6mm Page, or the 243 Winchester, the only thing different is the name.

It seems that we go through this 6mm craze at least once a year.

JMHO

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright Ray,..............

I stand corrected. My problem was, I always liked the 6MM best, and never looked at anything based on the .243/.308 case, consequently, I developed voluntary blinders when you mentioned the .243, and Page in one breath. :D

If you look in "Wildcat Cartridges" by Wolfe Publishing Co., there is an article titled: "The .22 Super PDC". The author pushed the .243 shoulder back to give it capacity a tad less than the swift, and with a 3/8s inch neck. I looked at it and thought, "I bet that'd make a grand 6MM Varmint-Chaser. ;)

Why not build a Dasher? Good brass, easy to get dies and they shoot. Matt

Back