6mm PPC Brass

S

Sparatore

Greetings:

I have decided to get back into reloading again after a null of about five years. I have run into a problem though, locating brass. I have a Sako in 6mm PPC and have a handful of brass from yesteryear, yes its been a few years since I have reloaded... the standard brass is difficult to locate but not too much of a problem, locating 6mm PPC has been a major chore, when I do find it... it's listed as "not available". Does anyone know where to locate a good source for 6mm PPC brass? Preferably Norma.

Tnx,

Don
:cool:

Greetings:

I have decided to get back into reloading again after a null of about five years. I have run into a problem though, locating brass. I have a Sako in 6mm PPC and have a handful of brass from yesteryear, yes its been a few years since I have reloaded... the standard brass is difficult to locate but not too much of a problem, locating 6mm PPC has been a major chore, when I do find it... it's listed as "not available". Does anyone know where to locate a good source for 6mm PPC brass? Preferably Norma.

Tnx,

Don

Are you aware that your rifle is not "a 6PPC" but is in fact chambered in "6PPC USA"?

A true 6PPC is most often using a case made from a blown out 220 Russian case and in any case has different dimensions from the "6PPC USA" ALA Sako and Ruger.

Now, what exactly do you mean by the statement "....the standard brass is difficult to locate but not too much of a problem"

???

al

Sir:

Do you believe that it was necessary to reply with such a response? " There is a little thing called Google" I do not believe that such a response fosters good relationships... especially when its someone new to this Site.

Don

I agree, Sparatore.

Id be willing to bet google is what brought him to this usually friendly to visitors site.
Im not sure what the differences in the standard 6mm PPC usa chamber and our wildcat chambers are. I have seen people using redding dies that are ppc usa dies to load for our benchrest guns so using 220 russian cases to make a factory case shouldnt be an issue. The issue may come in if our new friend isnt a fireforming handloader. If you are a handloader that maybe is not well versed in case forming i have a ziploc bag of sako 6mm ppc headstamped brass i would be happy to send you to get you out of this situation youre in.

Sparatore

I have Sako 6 PPC brass and Lapua fireformed brass.

Lapua brass handle hight pressure without problem, the pocket become loose soon with sako brass.

Thanks Dusty:

Id be willing to bet google is what brought him to this usually friendly to visitors site.
Im not sure what the differences in the standard 6mm PPC usa chamber and our wildcat chambers are. I have seen people using redding dies that are ppc usa dies to load for our benchrest guns so using 220 russian cases to make a factory case shouldnt be an issue. The issue may come in if our new friend isnt a fireforming handloader. If you are a handloader that maybe is not well versed in case forming i have a ziploc bag of sako 6mm ppc headstamped brass i would be happy to send you to get you out of this situation youre in.

Dusty:

Thanks for your reply, I have been reloading for a long time, since 1967. My... has it been that long already? I began reloading the 6mm PPC SAKO Brass about 10 years ago when we received the SAKO as a gift. We have also used Lapua Brass, which I have found to be very well built and strong I use some for the larger calibers and several magnums, Lapua is excellent material. I fire formed about 30 cases a few years ago but that is not enough now. I just wanted to beef up my stock as I use the SAKO sometimes to dispatch ground squirrels at long distances and like to bring along a couple of hundred rounds. Its not easy to locate that case here in N. CA. So we began the search on the WWW but ran into the "out of stock" reply at a number of suppliers. That is not the only case that winds up in the " out of stock" category either. .223 brass is very difficult to buy around here and after chatting with my shooting friends in WA, OR, ID and NC, I am not alone with this dilemma. Many manufactures are having a difficult time keeping up with the demand. I can always use the 220 Russian brass and work from there, its just time consuming. I do very little Bench Rest shooting anymore, age and physical issues have taken their toll, my tack drivers are still in good condition......but, the manager of the trigger, has the shakes and the groups are not what they used to be.

Thanks for responding and your support, its nice to meet some folks that are interested in helping, I appreciate that very much.

Regards,

Don AKA Sparatore

What is bad about using lapua brass is fireforming and putting that much more wear on your barrel. You can check with P1zombiekiller on here. He sells prepped brass and is a texan. Im sure he'll be glad to sell you some.

Hi Don,
Go to http://www.reloadersauction.com. For once fired brass. A guy nick named Cord has really good stuff. And at a good price. .223, .308, .30-06
Most is in better shape than what my new Varmint upper spits out. The lugs are scratching the brass. Yes, I have hit it with a stone and a file.

Scuffing & scraping brass

Hi Don,
Go to http://www.reloadersauction.com. For once fired brass. A guy nick named Cord has really good stuff. And at a good price. .223, .308, .30-06
Most is in better shape than what my new Varmint upper spits out. The lugs are scratching the brass. Yes, I have hit it with a stone and a file.

Sometimes the stone and file are not the cure, maybe too much play in the bolt, I have seen scuffing and scraping many times due to a bolt that was not as tight as it should be. An old saying of mine......"Action bolts... just don't work like Bolt Actions."

Don

Sometimes the stone and file are not the cure, maybe too much play in the bolt, I have seen scuffing and scraping many times due to a bolt that was not as tight as it should be. An old saying of mine......"Action bolts... just don't work like Bolt Actions."

Don

Don Thanks.

edit. The Varmint upper is on an old AR-15 lower. But, thanks.
I think I got the trigger going, again. Jewell trigger 1st stage too light. So we have been working on this and shooting BR......

Last edited:
Fellows,
I intended the semicolon, dash and following parenthesis to be taken a an indication of a friendly poke, and not some sort of insult...really. I also included a source for what he was looking for, and did so immediately after I became aware of his need. You fellows need to pay more attention to punctuation, so as not to mistake something that was not meant to be hostile the wrong way.
Boyd
PS If you look back at my posts, I pretty much always try to be helpful. What I was really trying to do was to possibly expand his horizons, given that I had absolutely no information about his degree of computer experience. Generally, when I take the time to find what someone is asking about for them, I expect that to be taken as a friendly gesture.

Fellows,
I intended the semicolon, dash and following parenthesis to be taken a an indication of a friendly poke, and not some sort of insult...really. I also included a source for what he was looking for, and did so immediately after I became aware of his need. You fellows need to pay more attention to punctuation, so as not to mistake something that was not meant to be hostile the wrong way.
Boyd
PS If you look back at my posts, I pretty much always try to be helpful. What I was really trying to do was to possibly expand his horizons, given that I had absolutely no information about his degree of computer experience. Generally, when I take the time to find what someone is asking about for them, I expect that to be taken as a friendly gesture.

Boyd Allen you are the real deal. I have appreciated your help in the past. When you reply, I have learned something. Thank you.
Tim B.

Back