6mm br brass

Thanks HFV, but im not sure lapua has'ent sold us out... i will try some new blue box brass, i have talked to a few fellows who are shooting it in a dasher and 6BR with no troubles. so i will try it.. but some years ago hornday offered brass for a 22-250 as match quality ect ect, well as a 250 shooter i bought some and on a matched die the second fireing would allways split the neck and i called hornady and they said my die was the culprit, over sizeing the cases and causeing the split neck's and shoulder's. well never had a problem with win, or rem brass. hornday brass was just JUNK! peroid!!!. so i have never been sold on hornday brass, maybe they have changed things but i would only buy it
or shoot it as a last choice, hope they have changed that... but i dont know???................ now with the 6BR brass... remington brass has a .080 flash hole... and the old school brass prep is needed. ..ie...weight sorting ect.. but i have shot good groups on rem cases with the .080 flash hole as long as they were weight sorted and preped as good as possible. it would seems if one had 100 cases and 20 good cases came from that---ok-- at least thats my experience,, but they shot very well ...hope that the lapua cases have not got that poor.

Ok 2 things.
First it looks like a pinch in the case neck. If they were out of the box that way its a lapua problem.
2nd If anyone thinks that Lapua will admit any wrong you are sadly mistaken.
In this day and age of legal battles and law suits no company is going to willingly admit wrong. They will probably be working to fix the problem unless the bean counters tell them to wait that the cost of fix outweighs the cost of law suits.
Just my experience from working in the legal world with lawyers at one time.

I personally have not had any problems w/6br Lapua. I did have one box of 220 Russian split some necks earlier than I thought they should have.[But all in all I have not had any real problems W/neck splitting, and can't remember any shoulder splitting.
I shot a 6 American several years (until it was stolen). Of my 1st 20 pcs, I ruined one case in the forming process from the 30/30 configuration. The remaining 19, I shot a McMillan barrel ,fitted by Dave Tooley/,3500 rounds. The necks fell off of 7 of the 19. I still have 12 of those originals. All were formed from Federal 30 American Brass, small primer. 29 grs. of T, and it would shoot (providing it had a decent driver)
Heaviest Fattest Varmint]

Jackie,
While I understand where you are coming from, these "DENTS" are in the shoulder of the raw 6BR cases. This is most certianly a Lapua issue. I had 5 in the last 300 cases I have processed. While that in itself was not bad, I lost 20 cases to splitting while necking up to 30 cal. I understand that once I start to modify the case necks, it is no longer an original Lapua case, and they can no longer warranty the case, and that is my problem. But to loose 20 cases to splitting (you decide the % of me doing it wrong and the "dent" starting the split) and 5 cases that had the "DENT" in it. I sent an email (I admit I did not call) but it has recevied no response. I have no issue with me eating the cases that went bad, as I always plan on 5% churn, but this is 12%.

tn_480_Lapua1.jpg.jpg
What nice loading blocks. Someone must have a CNC mill!!

I just got a new batch to make into Dasher cases but I haven't inspected them yet. Last batch I lost 5 cases One of them looked just like your little dents intill I shot it a second time. Will look the new ones over close.
Larry

Yep, Mr. ZombieKiller, you may need to send me a couple of those fancy blocks,,, (for testing and product evaluation) Blocks may be too "Pur-dee" for the average shooting crowd. Of course I do keep and cherish all products that I test. Not everyone knows the proper process for testing loading blocks.
Thank you very much (in my best Heaviest Fattest Varmint, aka HFV, short fat person, impersonation.)
Why thank you.... THANK YOU VERY MUCH (said in my very bad Elvis voice)

Hey Guys,

Just heading out for a match right now, but will be back in the office Monday morning if anyone would like to discuss any of this. There's some quality control issues here that I'll be happy to address (including replacement), and some reforming issues that we can talk about. Also be more than happy to discuss the neck wall thickness issue in depth, and no it had nothing to do with saving a few cents per case. It has to do with our legal obligations as a CIP member, adhering to their dimensional standards, period. We had no choice in this, not our option.

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA
kthomas@nammoinc.com
(660) 826-3232 (office, normal business hrs, CST)-

Now THAT's service

unreal

Meantime I'm wit' Jackie on this......... learn how to blow them out and never look back.

al

Al,

I use a mandrel to expand from 6 mm BR to 6.5 mm BR and have yet to be successful with a case that has had the fold in the neck like shown in P1ZombieKiller's pictures. Have you been successful using a powder charge to blow out the cases with this type of flaw?

HFV or anyone else interested in the CNC loading blocks can find them here: http://www.cncshooter.com/

DougF

Al,

I use a mandrel to expand from 6 mm BR to 6.5 mm BR and have yet to be successful with a case that has had the fold in the neck like shown in P1ZombieKiller's pictures. Have you been successful using a powder charge to blow out the cases with this type of flaw?

HFV or anyone else interested in the CNC loading blocks can find them here: http://www.cncshooter.com/

DougF

"fold in the shoulder".... nahhh, they still get thrown away, I don't even waste the time and powder,

al

Now THAT's service

unreal

Meantime I'm wit' Jackie on this......... learn how to blow them out and never look back.

al

Al,

I choose not to blow mine out. I know some people believe it is better, or straighter, but I choose to expand with an expander, and then turn them on brand new cases. I do not have an extra fire forming barrel, nor the money to spend on powder (and/or bullets) just to size the case. Not sure about others, but I actually have shot some great groups with brand new cases. I know I am in the minority here, but I would not hesitate to shoot my brand new cases in a match. I've done it before.

For the record, I am perfectly happy with my Lapua brass, and have NO INTENTION of using anything else. I did however send Kevin a much more detailed email about 3 weeks ago concerning this, and have yet to get a response. I'm sure my email got trapped in a spam folder somewhere. Not too many legit Zombie Killers out there that you really want to get an email from. ;-)

Alinwa,

If you find anythinmg witht he "fold in the shoulder", don't throw them away; send 'em back! Be happy to replace them for you if it's something we did. And yeah, it happens. Supposed to be sorted out by the QC process in Finland, but they can occasionally sneak through. If you have a lot number, even better, since I can pass that on to the Finns and they can track it down. For what it's worth, some cases are worse about this than others, simply due to the nature of the case design; shoulder angle, length, that sort of thing. The 6mm BR and 6.5x284s are particularly troubelsome in this regard.

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

P1ZK,

Let me go back and recheck my emails, but I have been in and out of the office a lot in recent weeks. On the road quite a bit this time of year with all the matches. Anyway, try dropping me a line again at the email I gave, and it should show up now. Hey, I'm in the office all week this week!

Kevin

P1ZK,

Let me go back and recheck my emails, but I have been in and out of the office a lot in recent weeks. On the road quite a bit this time of year with all the matches. Anyway, try dropping me a line again at the email I gave, and it should show up now. Hey, I'm in the office all week this week!

Kevin
Sounds like you are in need of a smartphone!

By the way, I jusr eyeballed 200 Lapua blue box 6BR cases (Lot P00517002) that I have ready for an F class/1000 yard benchrest rifle coming along.

I couldn't find any with folds likes those in the photos, but a handful had dings on the neck, shoulder or body that looked like they had been roughed up in a conveyor or bin somewhere - something harder than the brass has hit them.

Back