6mm 8 twist or 8.5 twist???

skeetlee

Hey fellas i have another topic i would like to discuss if anyone is willing. I have a chance to purchase a new barrel 6mm br 8 twist or some 8.5 twist and i am just not sure what would be the best route to go. I have always been told that 8 twist is the way to go when shooting the heavy 6mm bullets, but from what i am ready from the boys on the east cost fellas like sam Hall and Mr Davis they are shooting 8.5 twist barrels exclusively. So i just thought maybe we could share some thoughts ideas and of course opinions on this subject. Thanks fellas Lee

Skeetlee,
I have shot both twists in weather from 20 to 100 degrees with 105VLD Bergers and 108BT Bergers at 600 yards. I honestly can't see any difference. I have actually shot the 1-8 twist longer. Both the rifles I shot in the Nationals the last two years were 1-8 twist. I tried a 1-8.5 for the first time last year on my 61 pound 6 Dasher last year. It shoots like a house on fire also. I could flip a coin between the two and be happy with heads or tails. I also can't tell any difference in .236 or .237 bore as far as accuracy. There is alot of mathmatics and theory in this stuff. The only paper I rely on is what my targets tell me. The botton line is you have to tune any barrel. I have bought two barrels exactly alike and chambered exactly alike and shoot on the same rifle. They both would not shoot the same load.
Samuel Hall

we use straight 8 twists up here in montana. that don't mean 8.xxx won't work though. we shoot in temps from 4 coats in march, all the way up to 1 coat in august.
tom

Back