6BRX Sizing ?????

C

CHeetahman

I have a BRX with a no turn .272 NK. I am trying to use a Redding FL die with a .269 bushing. When I screw the die down to where it sizes the neck enough to grip the bullet it is pushing the shoulder down with it. Do I need to get a neck die and a body die or am I doing something wrong??? I even turned the die about 1/4 inch at a time to make sure I wasnt oversizing and the same result.

I have a BRX with a no turn .272 NK. I am trying to use a Redding FL die with a .269 bushing. When I screw the die down to where it sizes the neck enough to grip the bullet it is pushing the shoulder down with it. Do I need to get a neck die and a body die or am I doing something wrong??? I even turned the die about 1/4 inch at a time to make sure I wasnt oversizing and the same result.

How much of the neck are you needing to size? These bushing dies are not made to size the neck all the way to the shoulder. When I make my own sizer I have the bushing setting as close as possible to the shoulder so I can mazimize the amount of neck sized. The BRX has a very short neck anyway. If you could get a non bushing die that would be the right neck diameter that would be the best to solve your problem.

Just enough to grip the bullet. So about a thou or two

I meant how much of the neck length? I'm assuming you are saying the bushing is not sizing enough of the neck length. If it's diameter you just use a different bushing size.

I have went all the way down to a .259 bushing and same result its pushing the shoulder down

I won't speculate on WHAT's happening but can state for fact that you're not "setting it wrong"....... if you're pushing the shoulder back without sizing the neck your fits are somehow buggered. Setting won't fix it.

You say "Redding FL die"....... which die?

al

Are you certain that you have backed the adjuster nut off so that you can wind the bushing height adjuster rod all the way down? Maybe the bushing is not being pushed down to the bottom of its reccess in the die???

Boy Do I feel like a dumb A**

I bought this rifle used and the brass that came with it was fired and dirty of course. I did not take the time to tumble and clean the brass. I steel wooled the cases with 0000 and found that some were necked turned and some were not. Happens to be the ones I was sizing had been. So the .269 bushing was to big and the .259 was to small. Goes back to that very important lesson my father always told me never assume anything!!!:)

CHeetaman

Another thing you need to know regardless of what size neck you have.The Redding bushings have a very very small chamfer on them and you can't size necks down very far before you crush cases.
If you did have 0.272 brass to start with you would never be able to take it down to 0.259 neck size in one step with a bushing die.You could do it all day long with a standard full length die but not one with the bushing.
I never exceed 0.004 increments on shrinkng new brass because it will crush 40-60% of your cases even with a good chamfer on the outside.
Lynn

Brx

Are you trying to size the BRX case all the way in a 6BR die? Remember the BRX is .100 longer than the 6BR case.

No just the neck and a little of the body. I have it down now to where I am using a .268 bushing and its working like a charm. bolt closes with about a pound presure with firing pin removed and its not pushing the shoulder back. I guess the "proper" way would be to neck size and use a body die.

CHeetahman,

I shoot 6BRX. You will find a need to size the base of the case. if it gets tight at the top of your bolt lift. I use a 7mm-08 F/L die to just hit the base, it will not touch the shoulder. Then bump the shoulder with the Redding 6br die bumping it back 0.002". I do this every time, works great.

Mark Schronce

Back