6br

tbird1960

New to benchrest shooting. I bought a new Remington action with CBI barrel chambered in 6BR norma. Test fired it with one handload with 30 grs Varget and 95 gr Hornady bullet. After firing I could not put a bullet back in the case without forcing it. Do I need to outside neck trim the Norma brass? All I know about this rifle is that it was new and unfired.

I take it your talking about reloading a round ?
Check your Dies-The brass and the Bullet ?
Measure the bullet then the brass and last measure the expander ball on the sizer die .

Last question do you know it is a 6BR for sure ??

It is definitely a 6BR, stamped on the barrel and when I fired it with new brass that had not been outside neck trimmed a bullet would not enter the fired case. Stamped on the barrel is 6br norma.

The loaded neck dimension should be right at .270" for a SAMI spec chamber.

95 grain bullet is a little heavy, is the twist 1:8?

The twist is 1:8. I have some brass I have outside reamed and they measure .268 before I seat the bullet. I will give that a try.

thats a bummer, no way you can get any info from where you got it?
I have a 6BR thats a .269 neck and its not stamped...smith forget to stamp it, but i know its a .269

you are going to want to mic a new piece of brass with a bullet..loaded round..(say its .270 example)
and then seat a bullet in a fired case and see what it mic's... if its 270 and you have enough grip to hold the bullet then you may have a tight neck chamber.
I would start by turning off .002 then try it again..I think the bullet should just slip into the fired case..
you need to mic a loaded round ..in other words bullet seated in case..

your loaded round should be about .002 less than the chamber neck..

Last edited:
Must be a tight neck chamber. Take .002" off the neck thickness, and try another shot. Then see if the bullet slides into the fired case easily. Also check the very end of the neck, make sure there's no tight spot there.....might have to trim cases shorter.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1. It's the only way to know what's going on for sure.

I agree here! It is unsafe to fire ammo that you think is right and then it be something else altogether. When one buys a used (different) rifle, unless it is an absolutely known rifle, believe nothing that you hear and damn little of what you think you see. People doctor up rifles all the time, sometimes for the good, sometimes not. When you pull the trigger on a firearm that can make your face dissapear in a fraction of a second, do the right thing and have it checked out by a competent gunsmith and then you will be closer to knowing what you really have!
Mark

I also agree that you need to know the chamber specs on a rebarreled rifle but it is not uncommon for a neck on a new case to "bounce" back such that the bullet will not slip in with the fingers. It is definitely suspect given that a SAAMI chamber and a factory case has neck clearance abound. I applaud your skepticism.

Wilbur,
I have read on this here internet (not meaning this site only) where people seem to get all of their information off the internet, won't invest in good reloading books, just fill it with an internet buddy recommended powder charge then start popping primers or worse...then wonder why! To buy a used or rebarreled rifle and then not either check it out yourself if you know how or let a gunsmith spend a few minutes with it and find out what it really is...is penny wise and dollar foolish! I saw a man melt the B&L shooting glasses right lens down onto his right cheek because of something like this and I just don't ever want to see it happen again.
You are right though, it could be brass springback in this case. :)

Well looks like no major problem with the brass. I finally got a load that shoots good and the last group I shot measured .217. So I pretty much have solved the problem. This was not a used rifle and was not sure if it needed to have the necks outside trimmed or not. The group I just shot was with untrimmed brass.

Back