6 o clock firing pin?

C

chuck51840

I have recently gotten more involved in the rimfire benchrest game and have decided to purchase an already made custom rifle. This rifle does not have a 6 o clock firing pin, the action is a remington 40x. I have noticed that a lot of custom 40x riflesdohave the 6 o clock firing pin. I have also observed that the 6 o clock firing pin is mostly, if not only applied to 40x actions. My question is simply: does this really make a difference, or is it simply a gimmick for a gunsmith to make an extra buck? Also is it true that this is only apllicable to 40x rifles having this, or has this been done with other actions and if so what was the success rate. Thank you, Chuck.:)

To me that a question a "troll" would ask....is it a way for a gunsmith to make 'extra bucks'............get friggin real

I kind of agree with Ernie. Why would a gunsmith with any kind of morals or reputation invent a gimmick just to make an extra buck and why would a customer allow their gunsmith to charge them for additional work that they didn't think was worth while? Because I don't have a lot of money to waste when I send something to a gunsmith that I'm not familiar with I want to know exactly what they're going to do and how much it's going to cost. If there's anything that I don't understand I ask about it. I suggest that you do the same if you're afraid of getting taken.

To answer at least part of your question the reason for the 6 o'clock firing pin is to allow for more consistent ignition. The forum is welcome to correct me if I'm wrong but the idea is to ignite the priming compound at 6 o'clock because when the cartridge is laying horizontal in the chamber the powder charge is laying on the bottom case at 6 o'clock. Therefore theoretically creating a better condition for more consistent ignition.

One gunsmith believes it helps and several will do it for you if you want it. It has never been shown to improve ignition.

symmetrical primer?

I'll ask a question I don't think I've seen discussed before. It seems everybody assumes when a rimfire primer is set off that all the "fire" comes from just where the pin hits the case. Could it be that essentially the primer ignites all around the rim almost instantaneously and thus it makes no difference where it starts?

Get real yourself

To me that a question a "troll" would ask....is it a way for a gunsmith to make 'extra bucks'............get friggin real

He's a new guy and to him it is a good question. Why don't you get real and give him a decent qualified answer or not respond at all.

well Frank, its the way he asked the question......and maybe you aint real

Limited Number

I have seen a limited number of RF actions, using a 6 o'clock FP. Most of the customs have the standard 12 o'clock FP. No advantage either way.

FYI

Frank Green won silver in the '64 Olympics in Free Pistol. He later mfx. the Green Free Pistol which had 2 firing pins 3 and 9 o'clock. It also had an electronic trigger of which he was an early developer. I own one.

Al Kunard

The Time Precision action has dual firing pins, one at 6:00 and one at 12:00. It certainly hasn't taken the world by storm.

6 or 12 or both

I have a time 2 pins 6 and 12 2 hits fire from primer burns in 4 directions left and right of 6 and 12 0'clock 1 hit pin fire burns in 2 directions left and right of 6 o'clock looks to me better ignition if primer is burning in 4 directions just an idea from a half sober Indian !! Chief

I'll ask a question I don't think I've seen discussed before. It seems everybody assumes when a rimfire primer is set off that all the "fire" comes from just where the pin hits the case. Could it be that essentially the primer ignites all around the rim almost instantaneously and thus it makes no difference where it starts?

Well there Cec, you're the engineer{I assume} so might I ask...define"almost".

Has anybody seen or heard of an Anschutz 54 action being converted to a 6 O clock firing pin ? Curious

Lowey

I have a 40X bolt set up with a 6 oclock firing pin. A new firing pin body was made along with a new bolt front end, however some folks use the existing bolt front end and drill a new hole for the six oclock pin location.
There's quite a few six o'clock firing pin setups out there working in 40X's.

I have a 40X bolt set up with a 6 oclock firing pin. A new firing pin body was made along with a new bolt front end, however some folks use the existing bolt front end and drill a new hole for the six oclock pin location.
There's quite a few six o'clock firing pin setups out there working in 40X's.

Hi Kent,
First,I really value your opinion.
Is there an advantage,that you can see
to his firing pin location?
Thanks
Tom R

Tom,
Definitely there is not a disadvantage to the six oclock pin setup. Most of my shooting is done in the 65-90 degree temperature range and I could tell no difference in group sizes or scores with either the six oclock setup or 12 o'clock setup, both worked well. I have heard that in colder temps the six o'clock setup may work a bit better, but can't comment on that because I haven't tried it.
A friend of mine uses the six o'clock setup in several of his 40X's and gets great results.
Of course the rifle I was testing this with shot exceptionally well with the 12 oclock setup to begin with, to the point there wasn't much room for improvement. One hole is one hole, and that's the way it was shooting with either setup with a very good lot of Tenex. In 2007 I won the yards parts IR5050 Fla. State 3 gun and I shot the six oclock bolt in 10.5 class and the 12 oclock bolt in the 13.5 class. If I recall I shot 248's in some tough wind, although I had a -2 on the 13.5 target. If I'd thought there was a difference I wouldn't have done that:) The only way to test this stuff is in a match IMO.

Tom, I guess what I'm saying is there is that I can't honestly give you a definitive answer. Just that both work very well, if the bolt lugs are lapped in right, and the bolt is setup true in the action, and everything is working as it was designed to begin with.

Tom,
Definitely there is not a disadvantage to the six oclock pin setup. Most of my shooting is done in the 65-90 degree temperature range and I could tell no difference in group sizes or scores with either the six oclock setup or 12 o'clock setup, both worked well. I have heard that in colder temps the six o'clock setup may work a bit better, but can't comment on that because I haven't tried it.
A friend of mine uses the six o'clock setup in several of his 40X's and gets great results.
Of course the rifle I was testing this with shot exceptionally well with the 12 oclock setup to begin with, to the point there wasn't much room for improvement. One hole is one hole, and that's the way it was shooting with either setup with a very good lot of Tenex. In 2007 I won the yards parts IR5050 Fla. State 3 gun and I shot the six oclock bolt in 10.5 class and the 12 oclock bolt in the 13.5 class. If I recall I shot 248's in some tough wind, although I had a -2 on the 13.5 target. If I'd thought there was a difference I wouldn't have done that:) The only way to test this stuff is in a match IMO.

Tom, I guess what I'm saying is there is that I can't honestly give you a definitive answer. Just that both work very well, if the bolt lugs are lapped in right, and the bolt is setup true in the action, and everything is working as it was designed to begin with.

Hi Kent,
Thanks again for an honest opinion.
Tom R:)

Back