6 mm Reamer

indicating on. I dial in the throat area, drill with a bit, indicate again, bore with a boring bar and finish with the chamber reamer. Don't need a rougher for that. I have tried alot of different methods and I have a lower percentage of "dogs" doing it this way. Not saying a rougher followed by a finisher won't work, it will. But I don't think it's the best way. (My opinion)

Richard

Richard and I see this alike. If you have a barrel with any curve at all in the breech area, and of the last 30-35 I've done and of 6 different brands, there will be a curve, when you run the rougher in it will be out at the neck. Then when you run the finisher it WILL follow that rougher. Whereas if you dial in the chamber neck, rough drill and bore the chamber base area you have created a in-line cylinder for the finisher to follow. If you have a borescope, do a barrel each way and see for yourself.

I don't see how using a roughing reamer can be quicker than drilling and boring. For a 6 PPC, I can indicate the barrel in, drill, bore and finish the chamber end of the barrel in about an hour or less. Don't see how you can get much quicker than that. Usual disclaimer when it comes to barreling, use whatever method floats your boat. If it shoots well and is capable of winning when you're done, then you've done a good job.

Mike,

your right on the money. You can drill ALOT faster than you can ream. Finish boring isn't that much slower either. I have tried every method that is out there over the years. All I can say is that I have had better luck in getting better shooters by drilling,boring and finish reaming.

Richard

As to the chambering process, and repeating much of what has already been said, indicate the neck, drill the body with a drill that is about 1/32" under the cartridge shoulder diameter \. Drill to within about 1/8"-1/16" of the finished shoulder. Then reindicate the neck again. Then take a couple of light boring cuts of about -005"-0,008" or so making sure not to overbore.

One last time, reindicate the neck. If the neck is still true finish the chamber with the chambering reamer. If you have followed this process and used a floating reamer holder, YOU WILL have a chamber with a concentric neck/freebore/leade. Concentricity in the neck/freebore/leade/barrel bore area is a MAJOR requirement for a competitively shooting barrel.

Back