6 Grendel for competition

The Grench is a great cartridge with 80gr bullets for short range BR, no question . I have one and i like it. With this said, i have a 6mm Grendel reamer that is equally fantastic. I have chambered a couple 6mm Grendle barrels for friends that dont want to mess with blowing out brass. What we have found with benchmark powder, and the grench with its 40 degree shoulder is that the Grench doesnt hold enough more powder to make it really worth while. Chamber pressure with Benchmark seems to be the issue.
The grench, with benchmark we load 30.2 to 31.5 grains . This gives us our best accuracy and its not to hard on the brass. My buddy Rodney with his straight 6mm Grendel is also loading 31 grains of benchmark with killer accuracy and agging ability. I have loaded upwards of 32 grains in my Grench, but the primer pockets dont last long. At least not for me, with my lot of Benchmark. We shoot an 80Gr Flat base, were as a lot of the other fellas are shooting Barts 80gr BT. This is my in house experience, yours may vary?? Guys are winning with the Grench, so it is the real deal. I am just not convinced you need the extra case work to achieve great accuracy with the 80gr bullets. Of course some folks like 40 degree shoulders, and the extra case work isnt an issue. I myself can go either way. I usually dont mind blowing out brass. The standard 6mm Grendel is dam near equal if not dead equal is all i am getting at, with what we have found.
If you goal was to shoot a 105 i wouldnt have any information to share.
Thanks for the feedback Lee. I just got my 6 Grendel reamer a few minutes ago! I've wondered about Benchmark with the 80's....Wondering about 8208, etc. I'm also wondering about just using it to push the std light br bullets a little faster, or maybe without such a pain to get the powder in the case. We'll see soon. I'm very impressed with the parent case and the Lapua brass. My 30 Majors have always shot well. I feel at least as good as a 30BR.
In this case, I'm going the other direction, which is counterintuitive unless it works well with either a tad heavier than typical light 6mm bullet or it's at least equal, to a ppc, but with some other edge..be it speed or ease of forming and loading, with the typical weight br bullets.

As you can see, it has possibilities and some "ifs".

Last edited:
Grench FB

hi skeetlee

What freebore are you using with the 80's? Have you tried 8208 and have you tried (at least tested) typical PPC projectiles?

The Grench is a great cartridge with 80gr bullets for short range BR, no question . I have one and i like it. With this said, i have a 6mm Grendel reamer that is equally fantastic. I have chambered a couple 6mm Grendle barrels for friends that dont want to mess with blowing out brass. What we have found with benchmark powder, and the grench with its 40 degree shoulder is that the Grench doesnt hold enough more powder to make it really worth while. Chamber pressure with Benchmark seems to be the issue.
The grench, with benchmark we load 30.2 to 31.5 grains . This gives us our best accuracy and its not to hard on the brass. My buddy Rodney with his straight 6mm Grendel is also loading 31 grains of benchmark with killer accuracy and agging ability. I have loaded upwards of 32 grains in my Grench, but the primer pockets dont last long. At least not for me, with my lot of Benchmark. We shoot an 80Gr Flat base, were as a lot of the other fellas are shooting Barts 80gr BT. This is my in house experience, yours may vary?? Guys are winning with the Grench, so it is the real deal. I am just not convinced you need the extra case work to achieve great accuracy with the 80gr bullets. Of course some folks like 40 degree shoulders, and the extra case work isnt an issue. I myself can go either way. I usually dont mind blowing out brass. The standard 6mm Grendel is dam near equal if not dead equal is all i am getting at, with what we have found.
If you goal was to shoot a 105 i wouldnt have any information to share.

With my new rifle shop, I don't have much time to play. Not like I used to anyway.
The benchmark powder shot so well I didn't see any other reason to try anything else. I do have a dear friend who is shooting and winning with a different powder, but I cant recall what powder that is? LOL!! Brett Stroud and his father are the master minds for using the grench in short range comp with the 80gr bullets, so I really haven't done anything more than take load suggestions from them. The free bore of the reamer I used was .100 id do believe. possibly .120 I would have to do some checking on that to be sure. Again the Stroud boys design.
I have been shooting James Eazors 80gr flat base bullets and they are a perfect match for this free bore. I think Barts BT are to?
The only reason we did the standard 6mm Grendel is because my buddy Rodney didn't want to mess with having a special die made, nor did he really want to mess with blowing out brass. Our findings with Benchmark powder are a direct result. I had a grench barrel and my buddy Rodney the standard. He comes down and we shoot both side by side. Both are good. Hell, both are great! If you want to shoot the 105's I would go Grench for sure.
I have shot 68 grain bullets in a 13.5 twist grench and they seemed to shoot quite well. My 13.5 twist barrel was really only intended to be for fire forming barrel for my new Grench barrel , so I didn't test much with the 68gr bullets This is about all I know. there are several others out there with much more experience than myself. thanks Lee

With my new rifle shop, I don't have much time to play. Not like I used to anyway.
The benchmark powder shot so well I didn't see any other reason to try anything else. I do have a dear friend who is shooting and winning with a different powder, but I cant recall what powder that is? LOL!! Brett Stroud and his father are the master minds for using the grench in short range comp with the 80gr bullets, so I really haven't done anything more than take load suggestions from them. The free bore of the reamer I used was .100 id do believe. possibly .120 I would have to do some checking on that to be sure. Again the Stroud boys design.
I have been shooting James Eazors 80gr flat base bullets and they are a perfect match for this free bore. I think Barts BT are to?
The only reason we did the standard 6mm Grendel is because my buddy Rodney didn't want to mess with having a special die made, nor did he really want to mess with blowing out brass. Our findings with Benchmark powder are a direct result. I had a grench barrel and my buddy Rodney the standard. He comes down and we shoot both side by side. Both are good. Hell, both are great! If you want to shoot the 105's I would go Grench for sure.
I have shot 68 grain bullets in a 13.5 twist grench and they seemed to shoot quite well. My 13.5 twist barrel was really only intended to be for fire forming barrel for my new Grench barrel , so I didn't test much with the 68gr bullets This is about all I know. there are several others out there with much more experience than myself. thanks Lee

Curious if you could reach the lands with 68gr bullets and that much freebore.

PT&G contacted me and let me know that my version of the 6 Grendel reamer will ship this week. Now, I'm getting excited about it! If I only had plenty of time to chamber up a barrel and wring it out good before the next match.
Oh well, won't be long, either way. Thinking about trying it out at a 100,200,300 yard IBS night shoot next month at Somerset, Ky. May even shoot a 30 at 100, then swap barrels. Lots to do before that time.

You be there Mister Ezell. I'm thinking of coming down for that match even though we have a 1,2 and 300 yard match up here called the Maine Firecracker. I'd rather travel all those miles than shoot a match up here at 2 different places, 2 &1/2 hours apart which doesn't make any sense at all and it never will. Some of these people up here could screw-up a free meal. Maine's better idea, NOT!

Last edited:
You be there Mister Ezell. I'm thinking of coming down for that match even though we have a 1,2 and 300 yard match up here called the Maine Firecracker. I call it the Maine dud. I'd rather travel all those miles than shoot a match up here at 2 different places, 2 &1/2 hours apart which doesn't make any sense at all and it never will. Some of these people up here could screw-up a free meal. Maine's better idea, NOT!

I plan to Jim. Been burning the candle at both ends trying to get caught up. Finally, light at the end of the tunnel. I'll bring my most accurate rife, either way, but would like to see how the 6 Grendel holds up in competition, even in a score format. Look forward to it.

Grinch

The freebore we use with the 68s is a 45 and when using Barts 80s we go with a 120 freebore. If anyone is wanting to try a Grinch, Ron Hoehn just got 10 dies in today. He also has 12 twist barrels and a reamer to get you set up.

Back