6 Dasher Pet Loads??

JD Mock

I have been shooting a 6BR Savage F-class (8" twist) and a custom 6XC, and I am going to test the 6 Dasher in the near future.

The 6XC's best load is 39.5 grains of H4350 pushing a 105 Berger. I have settled on this as my "go-to" load.

The 6 BR is a little more problematic, but it seems to like Varget with the 107 Sierra or 105 Berger. My problem with Varget is getting the velocity high enough for long range. It shoots about 2750 with either bullet.

The lack of velocity of the 6 BR has led me to try the 6 Dasher. I am in the process of getting Mr. Lonnie Hummel of Hornady to make me some dies, and Billy Stevens to chamber it for me. I plan to chamber two barrels....a 13.2 twist Rock Creek and a 8-twist Krieger for this project.

Does anyone have any Dasher pet loads that they would share? Thanks, James Mock

Lynn

The Savage has a 30" barrel and I have loaded to 30.3 grains of Varget with a 7.5 R-P primer. I have some CCI 450's ordered, but have not received them yet. The velocity that I am getting seems slow to me also, but that is what the Oehler 43 tells me. Thanks for the reply. James

I run mine at 2970 fps as does my father and we both use Varget.When the primers start piercing back it off 0.2 grains
That's exactly my 6mm Dasher load with varget and both 108 Bergers and 105 Lapuas.

I am in the process of getting Mr. Lonnie Hummel of Hornady to make me some dies
I used that method with oil to form my cases. The shoulders came out round but the neck junction was sharp. Fireforming required much more powder than I thought to get the shoulders right. I culled a few out of about 250 that were not made properly and had drastic case length difference. If your cases are perfectly clean and dry when your done hydraulically forming them, I would suggest you shoot them at the normal weekend matches. I made another rifle chambered exactly the same as my project rifle and blasted a bunch through it with no regard for the tent peg on the end of it. Was no real need for it because the fireforming rounds were OK.

The load that works best for me is 33.0 grains RL-15, Lapua brass (fireformed case capacity 41.6 grains H2O), CCI-450 primers, 105 Berger VLD, back 0.015" from a hard jam; runs 3080 FPS out of a Broughton 5C, 8 twist 31" barrel. In fact, over three different barrels, this load was still the optimum.

Hope that this helps! There is more information on the Dasher at my web site:

www.the-long-family.com

Cheers,

Chris Long

Last edited by a moderator:
deadasslast2004

What a great user name!!!! i could have put a whole number of years on that one.

James,

Try RL 15 in your 6BR, it shouild get your speed up. I shoot a BRX, it runs about the same as the Dasher. I run 33.5 Varget, with a 105 Berger. Some run 33.0 gr RL15 also.

Mark Schronce

I had Randy Gregory chamber a couple of .236" bore 8-twist Kriegers for the Dasher using Grant Ubl's reamer set, which supposedly had a .274" no-turn neck, .173" leade, and .1583" throat. Both those barrels will handle a half-grain more Varget or N150 than any of the barrels I've chambered with my own Dasher reamers, supposedly ground to the same reamer print as Grant's. Either of those first two barrels would give 3070-3080fps with Lapua 105 Scenars & N150 with no cratering, piercing, or ejector marks on caseheads - with ES of 6fps, Sd of 2, and wonderful groups at 600yds.

Whatever the difference(s) between my reamer & Grant's, I can run no more than 33.5grs. of Varget with 7-1/2s before getting ejector marks on caseheads - that's good for just under 3000fps out of a 30" Krieger .236" 8-twist. Maybe my CED Millenium chrono is a little slow - most of the velocities I get in a variety of cartridges are always 50-125fps under what other shooters typically post, even with RL17.

Richard Schatz just won the NBRSA 1000-yard Nationals 2-Gun overall. His load is 33.0 Reloder 15 and Berger 105gr VLDs. Seating depth was "just kissing" the lands when the barrel was new. It now has 2000+ rounds through it, and Richard figures he's at least .010" off the lands.

richard schatz just won the nbrsa 1000-yard nationals 2-gun overall. His load is 33.0 reloder 15 and berger 105gr vlds. Seating depth was "just kissing" the lands when the barrel was new. It now has 2000+ rounds through it, and richard figures he's at least .010" off the lands.

Impossable.....I just read here last month that rl 15 is junk....and to think I trashed 10 lbs of the stuff!! ;) ;) :D :D

Tod
Had he been shooting Varget and 103 Spencers he would have done even better.
Lynn

Better than winning!!!!.....HHMMMMM....The only thing I can think of that would be better than winning a national event would be to spank the krap out of everybody....Like Danny did at the IBS NATS.:)

Of course, I haven't seen the results yet....MAYBE HE DID!!!:eek::eek:

Ladder test for new rifle chambered in 6mm Dasher a couple of days ago.

Came up with 33.3 grains of Varget behind a 107 Sierra. Blanked primer at 33.7 though, so for my rifle this is getting warm at 33.3.

Has anybody tried H4350 in the dasher with 100+ grain projectiles. I have been told it does work very well with good velocity and pressure, just you need to get 36-37 grains of the stuff in there! Freebore has to be correct, and a drop tube needed, and loads are compressed!

Cheers
AI

How Much

36 grains....over halfway up the neck. Groups were not inspirational:D

RL-17 is looking promising in my 6 BRX but needs more work . I don't see any reason it wouldn't work in 6 Dasher . Quickload said 35.1 grs for 3036 in a 28" barrel but I sispect its going to take a full grain or more to get there. 35 grs. would be a good starting point for either the Dasher or BRX.

Rodney

I tried 35.3grs. of RL17 with a moly'd Tubb 115 in one of my 30" bbl. Dashers - got only 2771fps. The barrel was clean & cold - I'd expect perhaps as much as another 40fps out of a barrel that'd been fired with several moly'd rounds previous to this one shot; could be another 50fps with a R7-1/2 in place of the Wolf primer I used; and there's room for about one more grain of powder, which might produce another 80-90fps. The best-case scenario with these numbers would result in a velocity of 2951fps, or about the same as I've seen with N550.

Given RL17's considerable cost advantage over N550, it might be worth trying with 115s in the Dasher - but I still question whether it'll produce better velocity than Varget, RL15, or N150 with 105-107s.

Next week I'll get myself some H4350 and remington 7 1/2 primers and see if I can come up with something. The rifle has a 26" barrel, so the velocity numbers should be interesting. If the rifle can get the 107's to 3000fps I will be very happy, and the pressure will be down over Reloader 15 and Varget, just getting enough of it in the case!

Cheers
AI

Back