6 Dasher for 600 & 1000 yards

B

blacktornado

I would like to make a new 22 lbs rifle for both distances (600 & 1000 yards) in 6 dasher. I would like to know which is the best barrel ( Krieger, Broughton, Bartlein), twist (8 ?), length (30" ?), bullets, powder and loads.
Thanks.
GFZ

First, why a 22 lb rifle? You limit yourself to the HG class with anything over 17 lbs. A 17 LB Dasher is very managable, especialy if you use a break (which is legal for IBS HG). And if you aready have a LG, why only 22lbs? I have been watching a few Dasher/BRX guys kicking butt in the HG class with 30+ pound, lead impregnated, 3" wide forend fiberglass stocks special ordered from McMillan.

As far as BBL/Length/twist/ bullet/ powder/ load/.....Nothing set in stone!!!! Lots of 30" Kriegers....lots of guys shooting Berger 105 VLD's....lots of guys using RL 15 and Varget.......Lots of guys shooting a 1-8 twist.

Then again....there are a lots of guys who aren't!!!!! ;) :D

I think what Charles is saying is you can't know who is best every barrel is unique and any maker can get you a dud or a "hummer" it's a crap shoot.
The 105 VLD's are doing well but my gun wont shoot em no matter how far in or out , with four different powders but the BIB's HAMMER.
I never got RL15 to work in anything! Varget works well for me but H4350 shoots as good with a lot better ES and SD numbers just a bit slower. Also to get Varget to work I had to push my cases pretty hard. I give up a tiny bit of wind drift for less vertical dispersion.
I went with a 28" tube, a 30" would have made it nose heavy with the profile I chose and probably kicked me over weight for light class (17lbs) and I like shooting the same gun in light and heavy. If your OK with heavy you could go 30 and weight the butt or go with a slimmer profile barrel but definitely 1:8 twist unless you want to shoot the 115's.
Larry

Tod, you have to' understand we are far away from you in Italy. First of all we don't have ranges longer than 330 yards. This means we can't practice at long distance because matches are held on mountains where normally you ski on the snow in winter. So you go there for the match and you have the possibility to' reenter and make more matches in relations to how many shooters are there and relais available. Furthermore we have only a championship organized by a Magazine where they do whatever is possibile for friends . This means last year they made a new rule where in the sport class everything was free except the weight limit that was 28 lbs. I started a project under this rules

Since weight isn't much of a concern, I would go with a 1.25 strait....maybe even 1.35 inches.....30+ inches....1-8 twist. So far I have shot Spencer, Krieger, Braughten, Hart, Brux, Lilga, ...ect... I couldn't pick you "the best". Check out the winners equipment lists posted on the web for the distance you are planning to shoot and go from there!

And when finally I got my parts from USA they changed rules for this year and they put the limit of 22 lbs weight with the excuse to be in accordance to the international F-class rules. This is obviously an excuse beacuse they shoot on a bench and not prone then they use different stock and they make so many matches and they count only the best one. That's why the limit of 22 lbs. I brake in my new rifle and it seems it shoots great but due to 6 dasher is doing well in USA and it doesn't exist in Italy it should be a good idea to make a new rifle.

Since weight isn't much of a concern, I would go with a 1.25 strait....maybe even 1.35 inches.....30+ inches....1-8 twist. So far I have shot Spencer, Krieger, Braughten, Hart, Brux, Lilga, ...ect... I couldn't pick you "the best". Check out the winners equipment lists posted on the web for the distance you are planning to shoot and go from there!

Tod, my idea is to use Bat 3L multiflat 1,4" RBLP, Kriger or Broughton 30" barrel with 1,25" straight contour or 1,25 for 7" then down to 1" . 1:8 twist. JGS reamer for new 6br cases with 270,5 neck chamber. Berger 105VLD, Sierra 107 and Scenar 105 I can find. Powder I can find Varget or all vihtavuori. This is the result from my study on your winning equipment list but I would listen your suggestions . They Are really appreciated.

Go with the 1.250 Krieger bbl,, and over there you can get Norma 203 (which is the same as Rx-15) and Vita-vori 540 ....either of these will make it shoot!!!..and you can get Lapua bullets at your local grocery store ....Roger

Last edited:
Back