6.5 wsm

S

scottms7171

any one tryed it and any info on it. i think it could be a good round for hunting and playn at the range. its just a theroy

6.5 wssm

I got mine this spring. I ended up using H4831sc/210fed/140 bergers. I think I ended up around 2930 fps. Accuracy is very good. The only thing I see with it is that with the very short case there is always signs of psi, even when there isn't. Where I see it is when I rechamber a fired round the bolt closes fairly hard. It does it at all three accuracy nodes that I found...48 grains, 45.5 G, and 43.5 G. They just rechamber a little hard. No neck sizing only with this case. You will need to F L size them every time. I am not a big fan of Win brass, but it looks like it will last a while. The only thing that keeps me from using it in competition is the fact that my 8.5 inch BAT mod M won't eject the shells.....I have to pick them out of the reciever with my fingers.....not a good thing if speed shooting is of concern.

Good luck,
Tod

6.5 wsm(leopard) or wssm??

the WSM in 6.5 I know of will push a 142mk at 3200, but we ended up shooting 140 bergers@3145-which gave best accuracy/least verticle---
not really much better than the .284 case. this was out of a 26" bbl

i was wanten it for long range ground hog hunten is it farly flat shooting with lighter bullets like 100 or 120 ill be shooting 500 to 700 yards and possibley deer at closer ranges

It was a great round for me until about 550 rounds and then the accuracy was gone. I love the 6.5's the next ones I will be working on are a couple of 6.5 x 55 AI's one on my F-class rig and one for deer hunting.

wade

I just got my .416 WSM finished a few weeks ago. Winchester Brass will work, but Norma Brass works so much better. I get the same velocity as my .416 Rem Mag but better accuracy with the Norma Brass.

6.5 wssm/wsm

Scott: My experience is limited to a 6.5 WSM short. (shoulder height shortend between WSM and WSSM. Cap: approx 66 Gr. H2O) It shoots 140-142 gr. up to 3200 fps (easy) depending on powder. Very accurate (best was 5 shots in the 2's @ 200 yds) using an accurized 700 action, HS Varmint stock, Shilen barrel, enough power on the scope, a trigger that is light enough, and loaded against or snug into the lands. (IMO and experience, the shorter/wide cases are more efficient, so you get more velocity due to more complete combustion- just like a short stroke engine vs a relatively long stroke) Down side is: the throat was gone in 800 rounds. (like a 6.5-284) So, like yourself, I may rechamber to a 6.5 WSSM next time. My understanding is that there are several people that interact here that I think have actual 1st hand experience (and may have used in competetion) with the 6.5 WSSM that you may be able to contact: Boyd Heaton, 6.5 fan (title), mikecr, Bill K, Ed. Eckhoff,(tillroot1) kevin@weaverrifles.com, etc. Keep us posted. Larry Kramer, Victoria, Tx.

I setup a 6.5WSSM on a 16.5lb LG, just to play with.
My current load is light at 47.4gr IMR4350, using 139Lapuas, 28" barrel, ~3010fps. I have pushed it over 3200, but accuracy is where it is with my barrels. Anyway, I've so far gone past 20 reloads on my first culled brass.
It ain't ever gonna give out.
I like the cartridge.

I turn the necks. Can't imagine not turning them at 19thou thickness!
This is a challenge though(talk about springback)...
If you go WSSM or WSM, make sure you use a magnum action(I'm using a BAT RS action) with a larger size barrel tennon. Otherwise there won't be enough barrel steel around the chamber, and extraction would get difficult.

The reloading 25WSSM brass is very good. No complaints at all.
I had a Wilson seater blank chambered with 2 barrels, I use a wilson neck die, and JBM precision made me a body die from my finish reamer.
I hold my own reamers.

I can imagine it would make a great groundhog or even deer cartridge. I figure accurate barrel life at my pressures will be ~2K rounds.
Not sure why Winchester didn't do it...

Back