6.5 mm ppc

dpapadimitrio@g

Have been looking at a blown out shoulder variant of the 6.5 MM PPC. have not seen much if any mention of this caliber for CF benchrest and was wondering what users on the forum have encountered regarding this cartridge related to accuracy and performance at 100 and 200 yd distances.

Positive or negative, would be looking at a customer cambering that would require neck turning in a benchrest quality aftermarket barrel.

Any inputs would be much appreciated.

If you're talking about being Benchrest competitive at 100 and 200 yards, have you identified shortrange benchrest bullets? I haven't seen any. Doesn't mean that they do not exist, just that I haven't seen them.

Greg J.

I'm sure that there would be no mechanical problems. As the previous poster said... "bullets" ? Do you want something for short range 100-200 with a slightly more wind resistant bullet or something longer range. You may do better on the longer range heavier bullets, but I don't think so on the short range. I don't see anything that this cartridge would do at long range that the 6BR and variants wouldn't do at least as well if not better. But. if you're one of those guys (myself included) that like to go a little against the grain (as it were)..knock yerself out. ;)

Have been looking at a blown out shoulder variant of the 6.5 MM PPC. have not seen much if any mention of this caliber for CF benchrest and was wondering what users on the forum have encountered regarding this cartridge related to accuracy and performance at 100 and 200 yd distances.

Positive or negative, would be looking at a customer cambering that would require neck turning in a benchrest quality aftermarket barrel.

The first thought that comes to my mind when I read what you have asked is Why ?? What is your goal ? What do you think this might do that either a 6 PPC or a 6 BR depending on your application would not do better ? You say CF Benchrest are you talking short range Group shooting ?

Dick

Sounds like you're talking about a 6.5 Grendel. I believe it to be a great cartridge with good bullets for short range BR. George Cabrera may be of help in that area. Maybe he'll respond to this. I know people that are shooting it with good results. Bullet selection has been the biggest hurdle to date in light weight flat base bullets. I use the Grendel case(Lapua) for my 30 Major. It flat shoots!---Mike Ezell

If I was hell bent on shooting a 6.5 in short range, I'd start thinking about making my own bullets.

I'm too lazy for that. Will just have to continue with what bullets are already being made.

Greg J.

Last edited:
If you are talking about short range Benchrest, bullets are the big problem. There is a good selection of 22, 6mm and 308. But not so good a selection in the other calibers. Good boolets is the big factor.

Donald

I have been experimenting with the 6.5 BR for several years, along with George Cabrera, Paul Becigneul, Jim Riding and a few others. The big problem, as mentioned by others is quality bullets. Jackets of an appropriate length and quality were just not available. The only way we could experiment was to get longer jackets and pinch trim them to a suitable length, thus a lot of experimentation with bullet length, weight and shapes. We have finally convinced J-4 to make us some jackets with a .860" length, which is of a similar proportionality as the 6mm .790 length jackets. I and several others make 6.5 bullets, but with the new jackets just becoming available, weather and time has not allowed much experimentation to go on yet. I have also been experimenting with the 6.5 Grendel but with a .281" neck diameter suitable for benchrest. I have found that with an 80 gr. bullet and H-4198 powder I have enough case capacity to achieve 3500 FPS. My experience in benchrest and with optimal accuracy achievement indicates that 3500 is too fast and I will be trying 82 gr. bullets in the 3350 velocity range in the near future. I also am in the process of aquiring some new dies that will make about a 7.5 ogive bullet that is up to benchrest standards in every respect. I may find that less case capacity, something on the order of a 6.5 PPC will be more optimal, but the bullets must be right first in order to fine tune case capacity and powder selection. The question was asked, "why do this?". Doesn't everyone want a better mouse trap? Along with increased bullet length comes a better ballistics coefficient. In a sport where groups are measured to the thousandth of an inch, anything that will reduce group size in windy conditions would be a benefit. Also, finding a combination that would be easier to tune or stay in tune would improve standing. In my experience with 30 cal cartridges, H-4198 has proven to be a very stable, predictable and accurate powder in nearly all conditions. I love the stuff and want to use it as much as possible, but in a cartridge design that is optimized for it.

Hope this is helpfull,
Larry

Thanks - yes helpful

All and especially Larry. Thanks for your comments, as determined, considering a tight necked 6.5 Grendel, and your comments regarding bullet availability as a limitation were beneficial.

Larry did a pretty good summary on the 6.5, main problem being bullets, bullets, bullets.

These days the way to making your own bullets in 6.5 has been simplified; Berger just released their line of short (0.860") 6.5 jackets, , perfect for this task.
What is left is a set of swaging dies and some lead wire.
I went with Larry Blackmon's steel dies system, which have worked quite well.
In case it helps, this is his info, along with what I paid which is not prohibitive by any ammount.

Bullet Sawing Supply
PO Box 1056
303 McMillian Rd
West Monroe, Louisiana 71291
Tel 318-387-7257

Prices:
3-die set + press = $ 520
Core cutter = $ 75

Additionally, you will need some extra core-seat punches ($25 each) to hone in core weight against jacket walls.
The above starter kit comes with only one punch holder, which is techically ok but not practical in any account, as you will need to adjust each die every time to go back to it. It is strongly recommended to buy two more punch holders ($25 each), this way you'll adjust each stage and leave the punch in its own punch-holder already 'calibrated'.

J4 0.860" jackets are $0.14 each.
Lead wire should be somewhere in the $3 per pound range.

Performance wise, the 6.5BR has been quite rewarding at 300Y. It is readable and accurate, shooting flat with no vertical. Over wind flags I consider it to be among the best cartridges for that distance, I would not feel intimidated at all shooting against 30BR's or PPC's.

At 200Y it is not (yet) at the level of my 6PPC. I need some more time with it at that distance, as most of the time my tuning and experience has been concentrated to 300Y.

At 100Y, well I do not even want to go there. I think in group the 6PPC has it locked, and in score the 30BR is 'the man' at that distance without any doubt.

Good luck, and let me know if I can be of any help,

George

PS: Some of this info can be found in my website www.65br.com

Last edited:
Back