6.5-06 imp. with 142 Sierras

waverly

New barrel throated a little long for Bergers and Sierras probably as well. I cannot get anywhere near the lands with the Bergers. I measured some 142 Sierras today and they( at the ogive) are on average .042 longer than the Bergers. I have since had my reamer reground to make sure this long throat doesn't happen again. I can seat a Sierra into the lands, but there is only approx. .167 of the bullet inside the neck. I know lots of history,but this is leading up to two questions. I'm looking for opinons preferably experienced ones please.

First question. Can I leave a bullet this far out in the neck and have any accuracy at 1k. Seated this far out the bottom of the boatail is just about down to the neck shoulder junction. I've always seated deaper to use as much of the neck as posible.

Second question(depending on answers, or opinions that I get) is can you jump a 142 Sierra with acceptable results, like you can a Berger?

This was my reamer,and it has probably been 8-10 years since it was used. I don't remember the throat being this long, but it sure as the devil was. I'm don't want to set a very new barrel back. My results at Cool Acres were two groups in 9.2 to 9.4 inch range, and this was jumping Bergers .060. This barrel has 42 rounds down it.

Thanks in advance, for any opinions, or suggestions. Waverly

P.S. Forgot to mention Kreiger 8.5 twist, RL-22, and Fed 210M primers.

Last edited:
Wayerly, sounds just like my first 6.5/06 AI -- the reamer was Dave Tooley's. The answer to your first question -- is that enough bullet in the neck with the Sierra's -- is yes.

With Sierras, be sure to sort them. Or at least that was true in the old days; they came with two different lengths, and that could happen in the same box. I believe it was shank length difference. Joel & I measured them by using a Jeunke, with the head over the the nose near where the bullet would contact the lands. They both shot fine, but not together. I think other guys sorted them with a different technique.

Joel's first 1,000 yard rifle was a dual-purpose light & heavy rifle in 6.5/06 AI, smithed by Dave. Dave had a touch -- Joel & I would trade off winning, one of us for group, one for score, with those 6.5/06s.

I never tried jumping the Sierras.

If Greg Seigmund has any of those 140-grain flat base bullets -- a later lot, that doesn't blow bullets -- that was the most accurate 6.5 bullet I ever shot. Add Dave Tooley & Steve Shelp to the list. I forget the year, but those bullets got me the smallest group of the year at Hawks Ridge one year, with a nice little piece of real wood to show for it. I think Scott Fletcher shot some of those, too. Or, if they're not available, Greg had a nice 150 or 155 grain BT that was a real wind-killer.

Both of those bullets should work in your barrel with the throat as it is now.

Last edited:
Thanks Charles.

I've still got loaded Bergers I need to shoot first, but I have plenty of 142 Sierras to play with. I never shot the 142s much, but I am shooting them in the 6.5-284 Shehane heavy gun I bought last summer. With that deal I got 1500 of the Sierras.

I'm getting ready for a trip back to Cool Acres next weekend. I'll shoot the 6.5-06 at least 1 relay and see how it does again with the Bergers.

Thanks again, Waverly

Waverly, I shoot the Berger 140's in mine, I seem to get better accuracy with H4350 and BR-2's. I shot last week end at a little over 1100yds and they shot superbly. I jump them in my rifle 40 thou. Of course your rifle may like something different. I also use a Kreiger barrel.. Most of the Sierra's I shoot like about 15 to 20 thou jump in mine. Hope this helps...

Waverly, Is that you?

The 6.5/06, either Ackely or Gibbs always shoots better when the bullets are between .008 to .010 into the lands. If you really want a kick ass bullet, I'll give you a contact number for the longest 6.5 bullet made today. You can get them in 139/141 and 155. They look like missiles.

Bob

Thanks Joe. I've never tried H4350, or BR-2's in this gun. My RL-22 worked well in my old barrel, so I started with that same load. I'm actually shooting rounds that were loaded for 2006 nationals at Hawks Ridge for sighters. Headspace is very close to old chamber. RWS 270 brass. After I shoot the old stuff i anneal, skiff the necks with a turner, and resize. For clarification purposes I'm not shooting the old stuff except for my first few sighters. I still have 13 rounds to shoot, before it will all be recycled. RWS brass is great stuff. After next weekend at Cool Acres it will all be recycled, and I can start my experiment with the Sierras. On a side note if in the first relay I shoot another 9" group, until I can experiment further I'll shoot my Dasher in match 2.

Bob, Yes it is me. The barrel is 8.5 twist and I'm sure someone is shooting the 155's somewhere out there in a 8.5 twist, but in my mind ( in the deep recesses) I don't think I have enough twist to shoot them. Just a theory. If the 141's measure longer than the Sierra's I would be interested as long as they are available.
Thanks, Waverly

Back