6-284

Fantastic round! I loved mine - all 490 rounds of it! Great at 600 to 1000 yards.
Cheers
Vince (UK)

I guess you have already researched the 6x284 and know that it is considered "overbore".
They are but - I have 4 different rifles chambered in 6x284 and all are 1:8 twist barrels and all are built on trued Remington 700 actions. I have been shooting this caliber for 11 years and after shooting a wildcat for this long I can tell you that it is hard to go back down to a .243 or 6x47 or similar cartridge. You can get very close to the same velocity with several other 6mm cartridges and extend barrel life. I have tried it but keep coming back to the 6x284 - I guess I'm just a natural hot rodder.:rolleyes:

I do my own barrel work so changing out a barrel or setting one back that has throat wash is not a problem. I usually set a barrel back the length of the barrel tendon at around 1000 to 1200 rds, sometimes before, sometimes after - just depends on what it's accuracy is doing.
Each rifle has a different barrel on it so I am not biased on any particular barrel manufacturer. One wears a Hart, one a Krieger, one a Broughton, and one has a Bartlein. All shoot with excellent accuracy and very fast.
I also shoot moly in all my rifles and I feel that it does get me an extra 100 to 200 rounds out of the barrels.
I also keep and eye on the throat erosion with my Hawkeye borescope and it helps me determine if erosion may be causing a accuracy problem and/or if it's time to rechamber or rebarrel.

I could go on and on about the good things about the 6x284 but you have to weigh the pro's and con's yourself and make the final decision.
Bottom line - how fast can you afford to go.

If you decide to go the 6x284 route there is plenty of load info on the boards.

By the way - the rifle you posted the link to looks like a very fine, well built weapon. I would definitely want the Jewell trigger.

Larry

It is a great 1000 yd BR round. I had my first one just after Bill Shehane broke the world record with his.

Back then, there was only Winchester brass, now we have Lapua brass and the 6mm DTAC bullets.

My latest one is a 6-284 'short' - by 50 thou. Built on a BAT M. The barrel didn't look too bad through the borescope after 490 rounds but the target said different!

I've just chopped off the chamber (30 inch barrel) and re-chambered in 243AI. I'm going to try the DTACs and see if I get get 'em up around 3200fps.

I'll run it in this week and hopefully sort a load in time for our 1000 yd BR shoot this coming Sunday.

Cheers
Vince (UK)

When you think on it, the 284 case is just about the size of a .30/06.

The 6mm/06 and 6mm/284 have a number of wins at 1,000 yards. One step down is a 6 Ackely (6/7x57 improved). I had a 6/284 (actually, a 6 on a7.5x55 Swiss case) with the reamer held back .200. It had exactly the capacity of a 6 Ackley, which I also have. 106 Clinch rivers at 3,500 shot quite nice. The guys shooting 107 Sierras with a 6/.30-06 (old days) could get 3,600 with maybe a "plus."

I can make an argument for it to use at 1,000 yards. Not much of one, but an argument. Even Shehane backed down in case size, I believe his last 6mm was based on the 6.5x47 Lapua case.

For 600 yards, it would be a bit much. One thing to think about: with the smaller 6mms, you can shoot free recoil, without a muzzle brake. Harder to shoot free recoil without a brake with anything much bigger, though I did do this with my 6 Ackley.

FWIW, and that's not much.

Edit; BTW, that 3,500 was with Rel-22; I had a bit better accuracy with 4831, around 3,300. And the speed dropped before the throat washed out.

Last edited:
Shooting the 115 gr. Berger's with a 100 yd. zero, how many MOA to 1000 yds?

Shooter65,

What velocity or weather condition?

If you can get an average of 3150 fps out of them then with a 100 yd. zero with our std. weather conditions (59 deg., 78% humidity, 29.53 in Hg.) @ 1000' elevation then it would be 21.9 MOA. and 2.7 MOA wind drift per 5 MPH. This is using the G1 drag function (which comes out closer for me) - not the G7.

I am waiting for the new version of Loadbase 3.0 to come out to try and compare.

Larry

Shooter 65,

Gator is about spot on. I was running the DTACs at 3250fps and I had 21 MOA from 100 to 1000 yds.

My 243 AI will just make 3200fps with the (mollied) DTACs and Reloader 22. Still searching for the accuracy load!

Cheers
Vince (UK)

Has any one tried R 17 in the 6-284? Using 105 to 108 grain bullets? Was there any addition velocity gained over R 22?

well, in the California desert temps will be 90's - 100 degrees.

Shooter65,

What velocity or weather condition?

If you can get an average of 3150 fps out of them then with a 100 yd. zero with our std. weather conditions (59 deg., 78% humidity, 29.53 in Hg.) @ 1000' elevation then it would be 21.9 MOA. and 2.7 MOA wind drift per 5 MPH. This is using the G1 drag function (which comes out closer for me) - not the G7.

I am waiting for the new version of Loadbase 3.0 to come out to try and compare.

Larry

Back